Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 12, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-16-2021, 11:12 PM   #1
mgrotel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211590
Default Neutral position switch swap gotta drop trans, wtf

04 sti six speed in a 06 wrx. Trying to change out switch. I gotta drop the damn trans?
mgrotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2021, 08:29 AM   #2
AceKingNYC
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 406087
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 VF48 Wagon
WRB

You don't have to completely drop the trans BUT it's a PITA. I used a series of extensions and a set of crows foot.

Removed the drive shaft, unbolted the crossmember, jacked up the motor to tilt the trans back.

It's doable.

here's the guide I used: https://howtune.com/articles/559-rep...za-wrx-sti-6mt
AceKingNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:41 AM   #3
mgrotel
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that link. What a pain in the ass, and even have the motor out. Might say forget it and just deal with cruise control not working.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:08 PM   #4
AceKingNYC
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
06 VF48 Wagon
WRB

I hear you, unfortunately I had to do it - when i swapped in my jdm sti trans i accidentally swapped the placement for the NSS and the Reverse sensor. Not fun, but wasn't the worst thing, just need lots of patience and if you have smaller hands it will help reach
Old 01-19-2021, 10:46 PM   #5
NewSilverWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 58485
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 RASC.207 WRX 5M
PSM

Do you have an openport and do you just need to flip flop the switch? If so, I think this can be done in the ecu. This comes up with 207 swaps. It can be a pain to find it but if someone has found it already itseasier. Romraider forums will have that info. Am I missing something?
NewSilverWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #6
mgrotel
Scooby Newbie

I believe there was a mid year change one year with the switch. It went from ground actuated to signal actuated or something like that. I think I read about it on iwires website. Not sure if it can be tuned out, that would be ideal if so. Cruise control would be nice but Im not wresting with it and cutting up my arms to do it.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #7
mgrotel
Scooby Newbie

I quit being a wus and just went ahead and did it. It wasn't as bad as I was making it sound. Did a little more research and iwire has a good writeup on it. In 2006 the switch changed from normally closed to normally open, or maybe I got that backwards. Anyway, I got the meter out and tested resistance and turned out the old one was faulty. Took about 2 or so hours of actual work time. I spent a lot of time taking breaks and watching football. One of the downsides to having a tv in the shop is....squirrel!
Old 01-29-2021, 07:14 AM   #8
AceKingNYC
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
06 VF48 Wagon
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post
I quit being a wus and just went ahead and did it. It wasn't as bad as I was making it sound. Did a little more research and iwire has a good writeup on it. In 2006 the switch changed from normally closed to normally open, or maybe I got that backwards. Anyway, I got the meter out and tested resistance and turned out the old one was faulty. Took about 2 or so hours of actual work time. I spent a lot of time taking breaks and watching football. One of the downsides to having a tv in the shop is....squirrel!
Glad you got it done. It's just a pain to swap, but it's not really hard. I took plenty of small breaks when i got frustrated but i resolved it all
Old 02-02-2021, 01:35 AM   #9
mgrotel
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceKingNYC View Post
Glad you got it done. It's just a pain to swap, but it's not really hard. I took plenty of small breaks when i got frustrated but i resolved it all
Excellent!