Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday May 16, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2022, 05:51 AM   #1
DoinkDeDoink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 515181
Join Date: May 2020
Default Anti lag for 2015+ STI?

Trying to get some advice on anti lag. My built STI is running a 6062 turbo kit 600whp and going from a roll against similar HP cars (especially supercharged v8ís ) they instantly put a car or 2 on me before the turbo fully spools. I figured I need to start brake boosting but apparently thatís not an option in 2015+ as fuel is cut if apply the brakes for more than 1 second.

Which leads me to anti lag setups, anyone with recommendations? It's really hard to find information about this for subies and 2015+ in general. Is the only option really spending $8,000 on motec or something similar?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DoinkDeDoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:25 AM   #2
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Others likely know more than me on this one, but without going aftermarket ECU, I don't think you have a lot of options.

Start in a lower gear that puts you at a higher RPM? Based on plot and experience, you should be able to determine the lowest speed (RPM) that has decent response. This way you still have the entire gear to go through. So you start your roll speed in the sweet spot.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:02 AM   #3
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

well you aren't going to touch a supercharged V8 from a lag perspective. The boost needle on one of those might as well be directly connected to the throttle.

but yeah if you can't brake boost you are pretty limited to rpm because what else is there right
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:17 AM   #4
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Vehicle:
Link tuned 02 WRX
EJ205 20G-XTR JDM 6MT E85

Default

I thought you could remove the brake boost limitation in the ECU but I could be wrong. Your tuner said they can't remove the limit?

Quote:
but yeah if you can't brake boost you are pretty limited to rpm because what else is there right
There is rolling anti-lag! Like brake boosting, only its easier and you don't need both feet

The jump off the line it gives you with the makeshift launch is insane.

Last edited by K3rm1tth3fr0g; 01-11-2022 at 10:22 AM.
K3rm1tth3fr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:04 PM   #5
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

Default

Clutch in. E Brake on (remove the catch in the handle so when you let go, it just drops), wait for your go point with the revs up high, slip the clutch enough to keep the revs up while letting go of the E Brake, profit.

This is going to be tough on your clutch because keeping the revs up means that as you launch, you need to not fully let go of the clutch or it drops way down and out of boost.

Anti lag isn't the answer either unless you're willing to buy several turbos a year.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:18 AM   #6
ericsson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 208672
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Limited
Obsidian Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoinkDeDoink View Post
Trying to get some advice on anti lag. My built STI is running a 6062 turbo kit 600whp and going from a roll against similar HP cars (especially supercharged v8ís ) they instantly put a car or 2 on me before the turbo fully spools. I figured I need to start brake boosting but apparently thatís not an option in 2015+ as fuel is cut if apply the brakes for more than 1 second.

Which leads me to anti lag setups, anyone with recommendations? It's really hard to find information about this for subies and 2015+ in general. Is the only option really spending $8,000 on motec or something similar?



Why don't you set your launch control at around 5000 RPMS? That should build boost and.



If you have an Cobb Access Port, go to adjustments and you'll see the launch control settings. You can even set parameters for flat foot shifting.
ericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:40 AM   #7
snow_bound26
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 395793
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: SLC and Lake Placid
Vehicle:
2005 92x Aero
Beige

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Anti lag isn't the answer either unless you're willing to buy several turbos a year.


And replace cracked headers just as often
snow_bound26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:42 AM   #8
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Vehicle:
Link tuned 02 WRX
EJ205 20G-XTR JDM 6MT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_bound26 View Post
And replace cracked headers just as often
Yeah, if you're running a Tomei or an HKS... I wouldn't worry too much about it if you have a good header though.

The stock cast manifold and Killer B's 321 header should hold up to some rolling AL.

Last edited by K3rm1tth3fr0g; 01-12-2022 at 10:51 AM.
K3rm1tth3fr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:34 PM   #9
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Why don't you set your launch control at around 5000 RPMS? That should build boost and.
.
It's not just rpm, the whole reason it's called brake boosting is because if you want to keep a turbo spooling the engine needs a load on it.
Just revving it standing still puts zero load on the engine, it takes hardly any throttle to hit that rpm with no load, thus very low flow of exhaust plus heavy throttling of the intake still.

So as soon as a load hits the engine the turbo is going to instantly bog right back down
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:43 PM   #10
snow_bound26
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 395793
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: SLC and Lake Placid
Vehicle:
2005 92x Aero
Beige

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
Yeah, if you're running a Tomei or an HKS... I wouldn't worry too much about it if you have a good header though.

The stock cast manifold and Killer B's 321 header should hold up to some rolling AL.


Rally teams replace their headers all the time. Cracking them is normal no matter who makes them. Creating an explosion where one isn't designed to handle and explosion will lead to failure
snow_bound26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:01 PM   #11
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Vehicle:
Link tuned 02 WRX
EJ205 20G-XTR JDM 6MT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_bound26 View Post
Rally teams replace their headers all the time. Cracking them is normal no matter who makes them. Creating an explosion where one isn't designed to handle and explosion will lead to failure
Rally style anti lag is different than rolling anti lag but I get your point. I just don't think it will blow up a stock manifold if done sparingly for roll races.
K3rm1tth3fr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:24 PM   #12
ericsson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 208672
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Limited
Obsidian Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
It's not just rpm, the whole reason it's called brake boosting is because if you want to keep a turbo spooling the engine needs a load on it.
Just revving it standing still puts zero load on the engine, it takes hardly any throttle to hit that rpm with no load, thus very low flow of exhaust plus heavy throttling of the intake still.

So as soon as a load hits the engine the turbo is going to instantly bog right back down



Launch control works 100% of the time w/out bogging the engine.
ericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #13
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Launch control works 100% of the time w/out bogging the engine.
I'm not saying the engine will bog, I'm saying the boost will

if you launch (I never do) do you watch the boost gauge and does it hold steady?
and what is the boost at when it is just sitting revving 5000?
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:40 AM   #14
DoinkDeDoink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 515181
Join Date: May 2020
Default

I'm not really worried about the damage it causes, this car sits in the garage 99% of the time I only take it out to have fun. I don't drive it like a maniac either, would only be using anti lag when needed.

But I am specifically talking about rolling anti lag, not launching from a dig. Normally cars would brake boost but for whatever reason you can't in a 15+ Subaru.
DoinkDeDoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:43 AM   #15
DoinkDeDoink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 515181
Join Date: May 2020
Default

Double post
DoinkDeDoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:49 AM   #16
snow_bound26
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 395793
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: SLC and Lake Placid
Vehicle:
2005 92x Aero
Beige

Default

I don't drive like a maniac, but I want anti-lag. Seems a bit contradictory
snow_bound26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:56 PM   #17
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Vehicle:
Link tuned 02 WRX
EJ205 20G-XTR JDM 6MT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_bound26 View Post
I don't drive like a maniac, but I want anti-lag. Seems a bit contradictory

There's a big difference between using rolling AL once a month for 3 seconds to get a jump at the start of a roll race vs a full rally style air injected anti-lag setup that is continuously used.

Last edited by K3rm1tth3fr0g; 01-14-2022 at 07:25 PM.
K3rm1tth3fr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:25 AM   #18
DoinkDeDoink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 515181
Join Date: May 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
There's a big difference between using rolling AL once a month for 3 seconds to get a jump at the start of a roll race vs a full rally style air injected anti-lag setup that is continuously used.
Exactly. It's not mutually exclusive. I don't drive around going WOT everywhere, only ever go WOT while racing. I wouldn't be using anti lag at every traffic stop to look cool, I'd only be using it after I get gapped, or possibly only when racing for money. Would honestly not get used very often but I want it for when I need it. It's an insane difference when using rolling anti lag vs just going WOT.
DoinkDeDoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2022 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.