Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 12, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2003, 11:59 PM   #1
WR xplosive
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33031
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: 34.13514,-118.08109
Vehicle:
2008 4B11T
P26 MZ314000

Default Review: Clifford Matrix RS III

With a range of a quarter mile on an open country, I can't go wrong with that. This alarm, as you all know, features a remote start, timer, and all other high tech functions. This was dubbed as the "Mother of All Remotes" by Time Magazine.

The reason why I wanted to get this is because of its two way functionality. Meaning it will confirm every command I do. A beep or a vibrate to alert me when system is triggered. Another reason why I wanted this is because it has a "TIMER." Reading the specs through Clifford website and some VENDOR, I was under the impression that this is the Turbo-Timer feature. TIMER that CLIFFORD MATRIX RS III has is a TIMER that when extemely cold, the engine will turn on every three hours! This is to keep the engine warm and reducing the chance of hard starts in the morning. I find this function useful to those people who live on the East or where there the weather can get extremely cold. How cold, I dont know.

Bottom Line:

If you think you can save or try to save some money, or expecting to eliminate a need for a separate TT, you are wrong. The TIMER, again, is not a TURBO TIMER. I dont even know why Alarm Installers will charge between $600-$900 for just the install fee. I was lucky to find an installer and paid $250.00 with FULL FEATURES. I was also lucky to find a seller who would sell this for $256.00 shipped, via overnight Fedex.

Overall:
I love this Alarm/Remote Start/Timer (yeah right) system because of its two way functionality.

EDIT: cnk said that the Vallet mode can function as a TT but 12,24,36min intervals only.

http://clifford.com/products/timeArticle.html


* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by WR xplosive; 05-10-2003 at 12:44 AM.
WR xplosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:06 AM   #2
cnk
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10757
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

Default

You can set the alarm to function sort of like a turbo timer if you set it the remote start to run before you get out of the car. This is known as valet mode and when the timer runs out, the car will turn off with the alarm armed. The only problem is that you can only use it at the default 12, 24, and 36 minutes IIRC. If your installer has a Bitwriter, he can program any time between 1-60 minutes. To be honest though, you don't need a TT on our cars due to the way the cooling system is designed. Just take it easy on the car the last few miles and you'll be fine. You may end up having more problems trying to get a TT to work without setting off the alarms shock sensor.

Calvin
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 12:13 AM   #3
WR xplosive
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33031
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: 34.13514,-118.08109
Vehicle:
2008 4B11T
P26 MZ314000

Default

Ahhh, the installer mentioned something about the Bitwriter to have more functions. But 12 mins minimum is for the one's who do travel cross-country.

Yeah, I know about how our cars doesnt need any TT. I have 3K miles right now, how much more miles do I need so I dont have to take it easy ?!

I was gonna install the Blitz TT myself if I didnt put any alarm system on my car. But now that my installer started working on the electronics, I'll have him deal with the TT 'problems' (if any should arise)
WR xplosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 12:15 AM   #4
YoSmiley
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 21252
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Paul, MN
Vehicle:
04 WRX

Default

You may want look at Compustar alarm as well. I have it in both my auto and swear by it. Just a food for thought as an option.
YoSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 12:19 AM   #5
cnk
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10757
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

Default

I've got 24k miles on my car and no problems. Never had nor plan to use a TT. I just leave the engine running while I'm gathering all my things in the car and it's usually enough time for the turbo to cool.

As for the alarm, how do you like it? I picked up a Viper 790xv, which is the same as the Clifford. . .just different LED and shock sensor. I'm going to be installing it myself next weekend along with some extras. Did your installer try to put the antenna up in the headliner? I don't know if I want the antenna to be on the windshield like that.

Calvin
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 12:27 AM   #6
WR xplosive
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33031
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: 34.13514,-118.08109
Vehicle:
2008 4B11T
P26 MZ314000

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by cnk
I've got 24k miles on my car and no problems. Never had nor plan to use a TT. I just leave the engine running while I'm gathering all my things in the car and it's usually enough time for the turbo to cool.

As for the alarm, how do you like it? I picked up a Viper 790xv, which is the same as the Clifford. . .just different LED and shock sensor. I'm going to be installing it myself next weekend along with some extras. Did your installer try to put the antenna up in the headliner? I don't know if I want the antenna to be on the windshield like that.

Calvin
Calvin! hahaha, I do the same strategy for 'human TT' I drive wearing my flip-flops and while puttin on my shoes, I let the car run Afterall, my installer said 30secs is enough time to cool off. He asked me where do I want the antenna. Out of excitement, I guess, I told him to install it on top of my rear-view mirror. Where do you have yours? As far as my own feedback, I LOVE THIS ALARM!

YoSmiley, the reason for my REVIEW is because I just had it done today Thanks for your suggestion tho'
WR xplosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 12:33 AM   #7
cnk
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10757
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

Default

I haven't decided yet on the placement of the antenna. The installation manual recommends the location where your installer put it, but I may try to fit it up in the headliner. Guess it depends on how long I've been working on the install by that time. This will be my first alarm install, but I've done stereo installs before so it shouldn't be too tough.

Calvin
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 12:41 AM   #8
WR xplosive
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33031
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: 34.13514,-118.08109
Vehicle:
2008 4B11T
P26 MZ314000

Default

I was thinking on putting it on the little flap right next to the map lights, but I thought it would look weird.

DIY alarm install, I'm not capable of that. The installer took 3 1/2 hours to finish it. The only Stereo I've installed was an OEM plug-n-play. I've never tried splicing...Im really bad at it.

Also, I love it when you dont have to push lock and unlock buttons at the same time to 'silent' the alarm when arming. All you do with the Matrix III is...

AUX, then lock to arm silently/disarm silently.

This is my first 'hi-tech' alarm, I'm just so excited
WR xplosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:34 PM   #9
nick robinson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 25959
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Black

Default

Will this work on a 5spd? Can it be rigged up to do all that starting stuff? If those functions dont work, is it worth it, or should I look at different alarms? Also - is this a good ALARM? What kind of sensors does it have? Im very interested.
nick robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 10:20 PM   #10
netZ
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5743
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: nj/nyc
Vehicle:
2007 Kia Optima
gold brick

Default

1) yes
2) yes, hook up the ecu's neutral wire to the rs3's hood pin input wire
3) only if you want to spend more
4) decent alarm
5) external shock sensor, detects illegal ignition attempts, door trigger, hood pin input, trunk pin input etc etc...

netZ

Quote:
Originally posted by nick robinson
Will this work on a 5spd? Can it be rigged up to do all that starting stuff? If those functions dont work, is it worth it, or should I look at different alarms? Also - is this a good ALARM? What kind of sensors does it have? Im very interested.
netZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 10:31 PM   #11
nick robinson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 25959
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Black

Default

So its got all the same stuff as most alarms? And what about the install cost?
nick robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:36 PM   #12
netZ
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5743
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: nj/nyc
Vehicle:
2007 Kia Optima
gold brick

Default

for the 790xv or rs3... most installers will charge $250. retail is $499 including parts and install. buying the 790xv or rs3 for $260 something is only a bargain if you end up installing it yourself!

netZ

Quote:
Originally posted by nick robinson
So its got all the same stuff as most alarms? And what about the install cost?
netZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:22 AM   #13
nick robinson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 25959
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Black

Default

Oh ok. Thanks for telling me that. I dont think id be able to install my self so ill go retail. Thanks
nick robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 11:17 AM   #14
WR xplosive
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33031
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: 34.13514,-118.08109
Vehicle:
2008 4B11T
P26 MZ314000

Default

$499 including parts and install all features, I love NY You can never find a price like that in CALI. Well, as far as I know. One member was quoted $600.00 just for the install. The installer thought "why not charge him with that price, he didnt even buy the alarm from me, I make less money for just installing" He looked around and found a $250.00 install fee.


netZ is pretty good at electronics (based on what I read on his/her posts) and I bet he saved a lot of money.

nick, this is a great alarm and here's some example of what I can do with it (i.e. Vallet Mode)

Picked-up my glasses, took the key off, armed the system, kept the motor running, came back out from the store, unarmed the system, put the key to ignition ('ON') and drove off. Then I needed to drop off the DVD that I rented, did the same thing.

If you wanna use this as a TT, you can. But you have to turn it off manually because the default time is 12, 24,36mins. You can use a Bitwriter if you want an interval of one minutes (1-60mins)

I love this....
WR xplosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:18 PM   #15
netZ
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5743
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: nj/nyc
Vehicle:
2007 Kia Optima
gold brick

Default

hehe...

best buy has it for $499 including parts and install. this is just for the basic 790xv with alarm/remote start. they probably won't install it on a 5 speed manual and may charge and additional fee for the dome light supervision feature.

if you've got some electrical skills... it's not hard to install the 790xv. there's a sticky for the ultimate alarm thread that will help you greatly!

netZ

Quote:
Originally posted by WR xplosive
$499 including parts and install all features, I love NY You can never find a price like that in CALI. Well, as far as I know. One member was quoted $600.00 just for the install. The installer thought "why not charge him with that price, he didnt even buy the alarm from me, I make less money for just installing" He looked around and found a $250.00 install fee.


netZ is pretty good at electronics (based on what I read on his/her posts) and I bet he saved a lot of money.

nick, this is a great alarm and here's some example of what I can do with it (i.e. Vallet Mode)

Picked-up my glasses, took the key off, armed the system, kept the motor running, came back out from the store, unarmed the system, put the key to ignition ('ON') and drove off. Then I needed to drop off the DVD that I rented, did the same thing.

If you wanna use this as a TT, you can. But you have to turn it off manually because the default time is 12, 24,36mins. You can use a Bitwriter if you want an interval of one minutes (1-60mins)

I love this....
netZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:17 PM   #16
ImportVenom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34204
Join Date: Mar 2003
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by WR xplosive
$499 including parts and install all features, I love NY You can never find a price like that in CALI. Well, as far as I know. One member was quoted $600.00 just for the install. The installer thought "why not charge him with that price, he didnt even buy the alarm from me, I make less money for just installing" He looked around and found a $250.00 install fee.
Actually I found several places that would install the viper 790xv or clifford matrix rsIII for $499 installed in Socal. PM if you need to know where. In fact, the most expensive price I found was 600 installed. I think they're right when they say suggested retail is 499 for parts and installation.
ImportVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 10:04 PM   #17
secretaznboy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 16666
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
2002 WRX!
MidNiGhT bLaCk

Default

this one sounds okay...but the features dont impress me. have u guys heard of aladin 2000? it came out as a different name in the states i believe.

anway, that alarm was released over a year ago, and i still think it is way more advanced. it has the same range or so, but in addition, it does have the turbo timer feature that works with manual cars, as well as a sensor that detects how close you are to your car. if ur close enough, the doors will unlock and lock without you evening pushing the button.

also, with this clifford alarm, can one hook it up to pop the trunk?

thanks
alex
secretaznboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 12:20 AM   #18
ImportVenom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34204
Join Date: Mar 2003
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
WR Blue

Default

Clifford is one of the best well-established brands out there. It has a lot of functionality you can add to it. Aladdin is one of the cheapest alarms out there - heard many problems with it, as well as it being cheaply made. I wouldn't go with Aladdin. Look at how cheap it is. My friends have also had problems with the Delta pager alarms. I stick with DEI products like Viper or Clifford.
ImportVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 12:34 AM   #19
netZ
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5743
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: nj/nyc
Vehicle:
2007 Kia Optima
gold brick

Default

almost all the dei alarms have an aux channel that can send out a pulse out for trunk pop but you need to install a trunk solenoid to do this.

netZ

Quote:
Originally posted by secretaznboy
this one sounds okay...but the features dont impress me. have u guys heard of aladin 2000? it came out as a different name in the states i believe.

anway, that alarm was released over a year ago, and i still think it is way more advanced. it has the same range or so, but in addition, it does have the turbo timer feature that works with manual cars, as well as a sensor that detects how close you are to your car. if ur close enough, the doors will unlock and lock without you evening pushing the button.

also, with this clifford alarm, can one hook it up to pop the trunk?

thanks
alex
netZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 02:00 PM   #20
bleuquila
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31922
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: new mehico
Vehicle:
03 wrx wagon
78 brat

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ImportVenom
Aladdin is one of the cheapest alarms out there - heard many problems with it, as well as it being cheaply made. I wouldn't go with Aladdin. Look at how cheap it is.
Do you have actual sources for these so called problems you claim to hear? I'm thinking about buying this alarm, and most of the reviews are positive, especially the value for what you pay. I read every thread out there, and in all of them there was one guy who was displeased with it, and it sounded like it was just a bad install.

Or are you just hating because it doesn't cost as much as other systems? Not all of us can just throw money around like there's no tomorrow, you know...
bleuquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 02:19 PM   #21
netZ
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5743
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: nj/nyc
Vehicle:
2007 Kia Optima
gold brick

Default

check:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...813&KW=alladin

most alarms do the same thing... check the warranty information and see which fits you best.

netZ

Quote:
Originally posted by bleuquila


Do you have actual sources for these so called problems you claim to hear? I'm thinking about buying this alarm, and most of the reviews are positive, especially the value for what you pay. I read every thread out there, and in all of them there was one guy who was displeased with it, and it sounded like it was just a bad install.

Or are you just hating because it doesn't cost as much as other systems? Not all of us can just throw money around like there's no tomorrow, you know...
netZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 02:54 PM   #22
armand1
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10309
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
'02 OBS 2-tone!
White

Default

Quote:
I dont even know why Alarm Installers will charge between $600-$900 for just the install fee.
The reason is that 90% of the *security* effectiveness of the alarm is determined by how well (usually = how time-consuming) the install was done. For example, the inexpensive installs will mount the brain under the driver's side dash, where all the thieves will look for it. Also, they won't try to disguise the alarm wiring to look like standard OEM wiring. They won't install battery backup for alarm and siren, and so forth. For a decent paging alarm install, I would expect a full day's labor charge.
armand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 03:11 PM   #23
bleuquila
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31922
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: new mehico
Vehicle:
03 wrx wagon
78 brat

Default going for it

thanks for that link. Found someone selling, getting the alarm fedex'ed to me tomorrow : ) I wanted remote paging, mostly because of my love affair with gadgets that are also functional, and the remote start is just icing.
bleuquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:56 PM   #24
ImportVenom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34204
Join Date: Mar 2003
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by bleuquila


Do you have actual sources for these so called problems you claim to hear? I'm thinking about buying this alarm, and most of the reviews are positive, especially the value for what you pay. I read every thread out there, and in all of them there was one guy who was displeased with it, and it sounded like it was just a bad install.

Or are you just hating because it doesn't cost as much as other systems? Not all of us can just throw money around like there's no tomorrow, you know...
Congrats on buying the alarm. The comments I made were based on research I did a while ago when I was looking for a 2-way paging alarm. I remember someone took it apart and commented on very poor construction inside the brain. I believe it was made in Mexico too. Not all people had bad experiences, but it was those several people (not just wrx owners) that commented on problems etc that made me realize that it was not worth it. You can get the aladdin 2000 for a little under 200, but you would pay at least 250 for a decent installation, unless you do it yourself. I don't trust myself since the effectiveness of an alarm is all in the installation, so I'm going to go with a clifford matrix rsIII for 500 installed. That's only slightly more than what I would pay for the aladdin 2000 installed, and I have never heard major complaints about DEI products like Clifford. That was my reasoning for staying away from the Aladdin.

BTW, car audio sites like http://www.sounddomain.com and others also have a lot of good info on alarms.
ImportVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:34 PM   #25
WR xplosive
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33031
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: 34.13514,-118.08109
Vehicle:
2008 4B11T
P26 MZ314000

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by armand1

The reason is that 90% of the *security* effectiveness of the alarm is determined by how well (usually = how time-consuming) the install was done. For example, the inexpensive installs will mount the brain under the driver's side dash, where all the thieves will look for it. Also, they won't try to disguise the alarm wiring to look like standard OEM wiring. They won't install battery backup for alarm and siren, and so forth. For a decent paging alarm install, I would expect a full day's labor charge.
Well then how come ImportVenom knows a place to have it and installed for $500.00? I would assume when Time Magazine gave a range of $600-$900, having the $600.00 range be the "the inexpensive installs will mount the brain under the driver's side dash, where all the thieves will look for it. Also, they won't try to disguise the alarm wiring to look like standard OEM wiring. They won't install battery backup for alarm and siren, and so forth." and $900 would be the opposite, right? Still, very unreasonable price to charge. And my main concern is when you buy it from somebody else's, and have it installed by another shop. That shop will, definitely, gouge you with the price. Well, unless you know someone, like ImportVenom and myself does, to install it or even buy it from the same shop for less. Less than what Time Magazine advertised.

Got it installed for cheap and those thieves best hope that they have enough tools to get to my alarm's brain
WR xplosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clifford Matrix RS 3 d3wu Car Audio, Video & Security 13 05-13-2006 07:20 PM
Need Instructions to program new remote to Clifford Matrix 3.5 RS?? The Modaholic Car Audio, Video & Security 6 01-17-2005 04:08 PM
Clifford Matrix RS3 Alarm - Group Buy / Free shipping Modified Toys Vendor 'Group Buy' Classifieds 30 08-18-2003 11:49 PM
Clifford Matrix RS3: opinions? dead-eye Car Audio, Video & Security 6 04-17-2003 09:06 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.