Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 17, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2003, 03:32 AM   #1
AntiochCali
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30185
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Antioch, California
Vehicle:
2003 320 whp
on a heatbreaker dyno

Question Vishnu and 2003 not making as much power

Hey,

I have no offense against Shiv or Vishnu performance, I have VS stage II and it is much better than stock. Shiv is local, has a great personality (sort like your fat sister ) and is an outstanding tuner. Two thumbs up!

The problem:

2003 MY cars don't make as much HP as the same mods on a MY 2002. Even adding expensive upgrades (intercoolers, big turbos etc) and they still make something around 230-240 WHP. I haven't seen even one make 250 WHP (on Shiv's dyno) unless it was running a LINK or some other replacement ECU.

Shiv told me he thinks it is due to the aggressive knock correction in the 2003 ECU.

Anyone have any input? Know about the knock correction in the 2003?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AntiochCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:40 AM   #2
AjIsDope
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 32660
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Unhappy

I hope this is not a problem. I am very close to purchasing an '03 myself. Please - anyone put your input on here.

Thanks
AjIsDope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:41 AM   #3
doogie2756
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 26277
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: ORANGE COUNTY,N.Y.
Vehicle:
2012 Nissan Pro-4X
Silver

Question Re: Vishnu and 2003 not making as much power

Quote:
Originally posted by AntiochCali
Hey,

I have no offense against Shiv or Vishnu performance, I have VS stage II and it is much better than stock. Shiv is local, has a great personality (sort like your fat sister ) and is an outstanding tuner. Two thumbs up!

The problem:

2003 MY cars don't make as much HP as the same mods on a MY 2002. Even adding expensive upgrades (intercoolers, big turbos etc) and they still make something around 230-240 WHP. I haven't seen even one make 250 WHP (on Shiv's dyno) unless it was running a LINK or some other replacement ECU.

Shiv told me he thinks it is due to the aggressive knock correction in the 2003 ECU.

Anyone have any input? Know about the knock correction in the 2003?
did you ask shiv about buying a 2002 core and swapping to solve this problem?i have a 2003 wrx and i bought the stage 0 kit with a downpipe and i also purchased the core so i will have both(in case of warranty work).
doogie2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:17 AM   #4
WRBLUEWAGON
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10745
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Palm Coast FL via NJ
Vehicle:
2006 VW SUV

Default Re: Re: Vishnu and 2003 not making as much power

Quote:
Originally posted by doogie2756
did you ask shiv about buying a 2002 core and swapping to solve this problem?i have a 2003 wrx and i bought the stage 0 kit with a downpipe and i also purchased the core so i will have both(in case of warranty work).
,

That does not really work. Because the 03 has more motor sensers then the 02. So the pins are diffrent. I thougt Shiv could flash you a 02 on your 03. But yes they are down a few ponys then other 02 with the same mods.

Eric
WRBLUEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:42 AM   #5
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 1594
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Carson, IA
Vehicle:
1999 2.5 RS
2002 Legacy

Default

If you're trying to make that kind of power and are swapping in/out different turbos & likely injectors.... you shouldn't be running on the stock ECU anyway.

That's news to me about the agressive knock correction. Oh well I'm happy with my '03 and it will be just fine with what mods I have planned.
omahasubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 10:07 AM   #6
WRBLUEWAGON
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10745
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Palm Coast FL via NJ
Vehicle:
2006 VW SUV

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by omahasubaru
If you're trying to make that kind of power and are swapping in/out different turbos & likely injectors.... you shouldn't be running on the stock ECU anyway.

That's news to me about the agressive knock correction. Oh well I'm happy with my '03 and it will be just fine with what mods I have planned.
,

The stock ECU with ECUtek is a good as a Stand Alone ECU. The only limits are the MAF., Read the post over again and you will understand...

Eric
WRBLUEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 10:52 AM   #7
doogie2756
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 26277
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: ORANGE COUNTY,N.Y.
Vehicle:
2012 Nissan Pro-4X
Silver

Question Re: Re: Re: Vishnu and 2003 not making as much power

Quote:
Originally posted by WRBLUEWAGON
,

That does not really work. Because the 03 has more motor sensers then the 02. So the pins are diffrent. I thougt Shiv could flash you a 02 on your 03. But yes they are down a few ponys then other 02 with the same mods.

Eric
whats up eric?will i be ok with my car being a 2003 with the ecu that i got from vishnu?
doogie2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 11:46 AM   #8
AntiochCali
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30185
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Antioch, California
Vehicle:
2003 320 whp
on a heatbreaker dyno

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by WRBLUEWAGON
,

The stock ECU with ECUtek is a good as a Stand Alone ECU. The only limits are the MAF., Read the post over again and you will understand...

Eric
No, I don't think so:

My Vis Wagon Stage II = 231 HP (I also have injectors and fuel rails, regulator)

2003 Vis Wagon Stage II + Ecutec + big intercooler = 232 HP

I don't think the ECUTEC retune does anything to the knock tables so they still work as the stock program.
AntiochCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:08 PM   #9
WRBLUEWAGON
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10745
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Palm Coast FL via NJ
Vehicle:
2006 VW SUV

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Vishnu and 2003 not making as much power

Quote:
Originally posted by doogie2756
whats up eric?will i be ok with my car being a 2003 with the ecu that i got from vishnu?
,

Why? you should be fine. I will double check for you with Vishnu.
WRBLUEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:22 PM   #10
WRBLUEWAGON
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10745
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Palm Coast FL via NJ
Vehicle:
2006 VW SUV

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AntiochCali

I don't think the ECUTEC retune does anything to the knock tables so they still work as the stock program. [/b]
,

Shiv has control of the ECU programed Knock tables and can rase or lower autherity (spelling) range.

Every car is diffrent. Some make more power then others with the same mods. With having fuel rails you able to run leaner and safer because all the Cyl are getting equel fuel. So that would give you more power then a stock fuel rail set up with a upgraded IC.

For exaple stock fuel rail by cyl A/F

10.2 (1)
10.8 (2)
10.3 (3)
10.9 (4)

out a tail pipe would equel a total a/f, but to reach the total a few cyl would have to run richer.

With rails and every cyl getting fuel equaly. Witch would mean more power because you have a ture A/f reading.

Sorry for spelling I'm at work and don't have to much time to spell check..
Eric
WRBLUEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:41 PM   #11
Vishnu Performance
Vendor
 
Member#: 14494
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Vehicle:
WRX Porsche 996
blue & black

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AntiochCali


No, I don't think so:

My Vis Wagon Stage II = 231 HP (I also have injectors and fuel rails, regulator)

2003 Vis Wagon Stage II + Ecutec + big intercooler = 232 HP

I don't think the ECUTEC retune does anything to the knock tables so they still work as the stock program.
The Ecutek'd Stage 2 you're referring to above (Jeff T's), was retuned earlier this week and made 253 wheel hp. As mentioned before in several occassions, 03 WRX ECUs didn't quite perform up to par. A few weeks ago, we discovered why and fixed the issue. And strangely enough, it had nothing to do with the factory knock control sensitivity. Any '03 Stage 2 owner who thinks they have an old remap needs only read the label on the back of the ECU and let us know what it is. If it's pre-update, we'll be happy to reflash it again.

On a related note, at our request, Ecutek recently cracked all factory knock control parameters (rate of retard, rate of advance, operation ranges, learning ranges, default ignition advance multiplier, etc,. This means that, as of two weeks ago, there is no need to conduct the Vishnu Reset since the ECU defaults to maximum aggression after reset/installation.

Cheers,

The fat sister
Vishnu Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:50 PM   #12
CreoWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 19024
Join Date: May 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: West L.A.
Vehicle:
2016 F80 M3
Alpine White

Default

Shiv,

I just had my 2003 ECU reflashed by you last week (2/18/03) with my core (Stage I). Would I have the newest flash with the maximum aggression default?

Thanks,
-Mike-
CreoWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:52 PM   #13
jt2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 26145
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Default

My 2003, with VS2, and no other mods, tuned Wednesday at Vishnu, running crappy Bay Area MTBE laced gas. 252.8whp. Works for me:



I'd add that Shiv, Brett and crew definitely went the extra mile in getting the job done. They are true professionals, and take pride in their work.

Jeff

Edit: Forgot to add that this is WITHOUT the underdrive pulley installed.

Last edited by jt2; 02-28-2003 at 01:00 PM.
jt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:03 PM   #14
doogie2756
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 26277
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: ORANGE COUNTY,N.Y.
Vehicle:
2012 Nissan Pro-4X
Silver

Question ecu 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by CreoWRX
Shiv,

I just had my 2003 ECU reflashed by you last week (2/18/03) with my core (Stage I). Would I have the newest flash with the maximum aggression default?

Thanks,
-Mike-
shiv same question my ecu was reflashed on 02/21/03 for a stage zero,mods are helix d/p borla cat back exhaust,thanks, Doug
doogie2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:13 PM   #15
doogie2756
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 26277
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: ORANGE COUNTY,N.Y.
Vehicle:
2012 Nissan Pro-4X
Silver

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vishnu and 2003 not making as much power

Quote:
Originally posted by WRBLUEWAGON
,

Why? you should be fine. I will double check for you with Vishnu.
the reason im wondering is because of the different motor sensors and the pins are different,thanks for checking this out
doogie2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:18 PM   #16
WRBLUEWAGON
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10745
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Palm Coast FL via NJ
Vehicle:
2006 VW SUV

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vishnu and 2003 not making as much power

Quote:
Originally posted by doogie2756
the reason im wondering is because of the different motor sensors and the pins are different,thanks for checking this out
WRBLUEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:19 PM   #17
WRBLUEWAGON
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10745
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Palm Coast FL via NJ
Vehicle:
2006 VW SUV

Default

Dug, Called and your fine!! can't wait to meet you.

Eric
WRBLUEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:19 PM   #18
Vishnu Performance
Vendor
 
Member#: 14494
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Vehicle:
WRX Porsche 996
blue & black

Default

CreoWRX and doogie2756-- I'm quite confident that you guys have the newest version. For anyone else who is unsure, just reset your ECU (unplug battery and press brake pedal) and see if you are down on power. It should be fairly obvious. Or if you have Delta Dash, check your knock corrections. They should be in the 6-10 degree range after reset. If they are in the 3-5 range right after reset, then it's pre-update.

However, safe yourself downtime (shipping your ECU back to us) and simply do the Vishnu Reset. This will bring the ignition map to max aggression right away. This can be confirmed by check knock correction and making sure that they are in the 6-10 range.

Yep, that jt2's '03 Stage 2 turned out to be exceptionally strong. Especially considering the recent suspected CA gas reformulation which has made things tough as of late.

Cheers,
shiv
Vishnu Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:23 PM   #19
WRBLUEWAGON
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10745
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Palm Coast FL via NJ
Vehicle:
2006 VW SUV

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Vishnu Performance


The Ecutek'd Stage 2 you're referring to above (Jeff T's), was retuned earlier this week and made 253 wheel hp. As mentioned before in several occassions, 03 WRX ECUs didn't quite perform up to par. A few weeks ago, we discovered why and fixed the issue. And strangely enough, it had nothing to do with the factory knock control sensitivity. Any '03 Stage 2 owner who thinks they have an old remap needs only read the label on the back of the ECU and let us know what it is. If it's pre-update, we'll be happy to reflash it again.

On a related note, at our request, Ecutek recently cracked all factory knock control parameters (rate of retard, rate of advance, operation ranges, learning ranges, default ignition advance multiplier, etc,. This means that, as of two weeks ago, there is no need to conduct the Vishnu Reset since the ECU defaults to maximum aggression after reset/installation.

Cheers,

The fat sister
,

FAT SISTER that's great news.

PS if I had time I would have ran to Curry to suff the package up with goodes... Sorry next time!! been going there for lunch latley.
WRBLUEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:37 PM   #20
doogie2756
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 26277
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: ORANGE COUNTY,N.Y.
Vehicle:
2012 Nissan Pro-4X
Silver

Thumbs up thanx

Quote:
Originally posted by WRBLUEWAGON
Dug, Called and your fine!! can't wait to meet you.

Eric
eric thanks you have been a great help!!i am new to the turbo scene and you always have answered all my questions.8 days and counting!c'ya then,thanks again
doogie2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:39 PM   #21
doogie2756
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 26277
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: ORANGE COUNTY,N.Y.
Vehicle:
2012 Nissan Pro-4X
Silver

Thumbs up 03 wrx

shiv, thanks for your reply
doogie2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:55 PM   #22
WRBLUEWAGON
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10745
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Palm Coast FL via NJ
Vehicle:
2006 VW SUV

Default Re: thanx

Quote:
Originally posted by doogie2756
eric thanks you have been a great help!!i am new to the turbo scene and you always have answered all my questions.8 days and counting!c'ya then,thanks again
,

Glad I could help!
WRBLUEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:50 PM   #23
protouring72
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 13190
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: 294whp
Vehicle:
02 Vishnu Stage 2

Default

uhhhhhhh, whats the vishnu reset?
And what about that one kid from our dyno day, with the yellow 03? Shiv reflashed his with an 02 program.
john
happy with my 294whp(you couldnt squeeze 6 hore HP for me shiv? )
ps that was on a dyno jet, so its a little high
protouring72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 12:26 PM   #24
Avedis
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8171
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Mountlake Terrace
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
Blue / Gold

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by protouring72
uhhhhhhh, whats the vishnu reset?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...t=vishnu+reset

--jeff
Avedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 06:02 PM   #25
protouring72
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 13190
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: 294whp
Vehicle:
02 Vishnu Stage 2

Default

ohhhhhhhh, thats what you're reffering to, i knew that
john
protouring72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA: Custom Clutch for sale. This will hold as much power as you can give it STEALTH-WRX Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 6 01-14-2004 02:00 PM
Not making as much boost as I used to MAD REX Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 4 05-16-2003 04:41 PM
bov not blowing as much billybong78 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 1 07-31-2002 11:09 AM
Off-Topic (what topic?): My little sister makes as much as I do. What the hell? Fujiwara Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 32 06-01-2002 06:59 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.