Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday November 17, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
t3hWIT
Scooby Guru

Member#: 58779
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
95 STi RA (rhd)
98 Tacoma (300k Club)

Question Wiring the knock sensor directly to the SAFC, can it be done?

As suggested, I am posting this here instead of EMT because you guys probably dealed with this before.

I have a '95 Impreza, OBD1, with a '97 2.2L engine swapped. I installed an SAFC, as well as a pyrometer to give me an idea of what's going on as I make changes until I can afford an Innovate wideband.

The 2.2L has a knock sensor, but the OBD1 harness didn't consider it, so its currently just chilling there. I am uneducated as far as knock sensors go, but is there a way for me to get the sensor working so that I can monitor knock with the SAFC? How hard would this be, and what steps would be involved?

As I stated, I'm very uneducated with the sensor, and one of the sample numbers the SAFC manual gives for the sensor reading is 23. What does that mean, how do I read it?

I appologize for my n00bishness, but I appreciate any feedback you guys could give me.
t3hWIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
suby53
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 59648
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
97' Legacy Outback

Yes you can! I had almost the same setup on my 95' L. I had a 2.2 with rex turbo and safc-2 for tuning. I just went and got the knock sensor out of the junkyard and wired it directly to the knock signal wire on the ecu. The only difficult part is knowing what the numbers mean. When I was at idle it sat around 8-14 and sometimes when I was on it at higher rpms it would bounce up to 260+. So unless you find out what the limit is its not very accurate but it gives you an idea.
suby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
t3hWIT
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
95 STi RA (rhd)
98 Tacoma (300k Club)

How does the wire get any signal, considering that the sensor has no power going to it? As far as reading, what do the numbers mean?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
pregunta
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 101577

You have to initially setup the SAFC to read knock correctly for your car. There is a acclimation(sp) process you have to do.
pregunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
t3hWIT
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
95 STi RA (rhd)
98 Tacoma (300k Club)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pregunta View Post
You have to initially setup the SAFC to read knock correctly for your car. There is a acclimation(sp) process you have to do.
Ok. Do you know offhand if I can just go back now and do it? I didn't set it up the first time, a friend did it for me.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
suby53
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 59648
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
97' Legacy Outback

Ya you can do it anytime. If I remember right its in the setup menu. I'm don't really remember where. But the sensor is just a little electric diode that sends its own signal and the stock ecu or safc interperet it into an electrical signal.
suby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:10 AM   #7
t3hWIT
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
95 STi RA (rhd)
98 Tacoma (300k Club)

Ok, that works. I'll just have to dig out the wire, extend it, and plug it into the sensor. Thanks for all the info.