Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-12-2001, 07:13 AM   #1
Dakuwan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 4105
Vehicle:
2001 2.5RS Sedan
Blue Ridge Pearl

Angry Surf Racks for my Impreza?

I got my Impreza back in Febuary and now that the weathers warmed up its time to break out my longboard (9'6") but I need surf racks. Im looking at Yakima or Thule so I can switch off carrying my board, bike, etc. Therein lies the rub. According to both their catalogs the maximum loads for the 2001 Impreza sedan is bike, skis, snowboard, and basket case. The surfboard attachment isnt listed.

The salesman said he thinks its because of the short width between the bars but he thinks a surfboard wouldnt be a problem. He said that windsurfing boards and surfboards are listed together and its really the windsurfing board I couldnt carry.

Has anyone put racks on their Imprezas? I dont want to screw up my car so Id appreciate any info. Were there any problems if you did? (Ill be greedy, pics would be great).

Maybe this has been asked before but the search buttons still gone.

Thanks
Dakuwan

Note: Just noticed that my car info isnt on the side anymore
2001 2.5RS Sedan BRP

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: Dakuwan ]
Dakuwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2001, 07:34 AM   #2
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT
20 OB Onyx XT

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but I've used Rac Roll soft racks for about 3 years now. I have an OBS with roof racks so soft racks are perfect. I have a 6'6" but I don't think a 9'6" would be a problem. Had no problems at freeway speeds either. The Impreza's roof can handle around 100 lbs., whether it's on the roof or on racks.
Yes, there have been a few discussions on the board over the years. Too bad you can't search.

Good luck,
Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 07:48 AM   #3
Dakuwan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 2.5RS Sedan
Blue Ridge Pearl

Unhappy

Thanks but unfortuanately I dont have roof racks to work with. Hence im having to get close to $250 worth or racks.
Old 06-13-2001, 06:58 AM   #4
Dakuwan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 2.5RS Sedan
Blue Ridge Pearl

Unhappy

Sorry just bumping myself to see if anyone had any answers and missed my post. Just a little deperate
Old 06-13-2001, 07:51 AM   #5
yakker
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1330
Lightbulb

dakuwan,

It seems you're concerned about the weight on the roof, is that correct? If so, don'y worry about it. I routinely carry 3 whitewater kayaks (7 to 9 feet long and 40 lbs. a piece) at highway speeds, on my roof rack. When its not maxed out with boats I carry 2 mountain bikes and 1 boat.

1 or 2 surfboards won't weigh nearly as much. And if you're concerned about wind forces on the boards, rig a bow line to the front of your car.

I'm using a Saris roof rack, but you'll get similar results using either of the two companies you mention. Although you'll spend more on those systems.

Check out this link:
http://www.aardvarkcycles.com/saris.roof.html

Good luck and big surf to you.
Bob
yakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 08:11 AM   #6
Dakuwan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 2.5RS Sedan
Blue Ridge Pearl

Smile

The thing that was worrying me was that according to thule and yakima the width between the front and rear rack wouldnt be wide enough to hold the boards safely. So I could be riding down the road have my board fly off, losing the board and probably damaging my car in the process. Im just trying to reassure myself that wont happen.

You carry kayaks? Do you have an Impreza? That wasnt on the list of things recommended either. If a kayak does ok the a surfboard will definitely be fine.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:10 AM   #7
yakker
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1330
If you have a sedan, you'll have plenty of "bar spread". Mount the front bar as far forward as you can and the rear as far back as you can.

Every weekend I have at least two kayaks on my roof. Last weekend, upon returning from the Adirondacks I had 2 creekboats and a playboat up top, driving 75mph, and not a wobble to be seen. One time I put two kayaks and a 16' Millbrook canoe up there. (that's about 140lbs. worth of boats)
Yes, on my RS. Coupe.

I'll take pictures of my setup when it's loaded as soon as I can.

The paddling world is a strange place and nowhere have I seen more creative use of roof racks then there. I once saw a guy carry 9 kayaks on a Yakima mounted on his early 90's civic. Not that I condone that type of use. But more to say that the manufactuers rating tend to be on the "conservative" side.

Get a pair of quality 1" load straps from a boat shop. Home Depot does not carry the type of straps you'll need. I suggest NRS brand (www.nrsweb.com), but another brand with ANCRA buckles will work fine.

Place the board(s) fins up, nose to the front (for good board karma) on the rack. Go over the board with one end of the strap, go under the bar on that side, come back up and over the board back towards you. Now, go under the bar on your side and back up to meet the buckle end of the strap. You now have doubled the strength of the strap.

Tighten down, but not so much you crack the gel coat on your board.

With this "doubling up" of the straps your board will not want to leave your rack until you're ready for it to.

Bob
yakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 09:16 AM   #8
Skylab
n00b Moderator

Member#: 4263
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Arrow

IMO, get the soft padded temporary surf strap board rack. My friend strapped his 9'6" down, and my 6'4" Fish on top of it no probs.

BTW, lets have an OFF TOPIC surfing thread going. I'd love to share some surfing stories west coast big wave style. (Mavericks, Cortes Bank, Trestles!)

Good Luck,

Skylab***8482;
Skylab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 10:07 AM   #9
Dakuwan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 2.5RS Sedan
Blue Ridge Pearl

Cool

Thanks guys. Sounds like I should be fine with the racks. I figured it wouldnt be too bad. My bar-spread would be 23" and the recommended for surf is 24".

I had thought of the soft racks you mentioned Skylab but I didnt want to risk thw wind moving the board around and possibly scraping up the paint. I figure if I go ahead and shell out the money for long term racks I can have them last a while and interchange the attachments as I decide to try new things. Plus I already got a bike to carry around also.

Actually Yakker, me and my friend were looking at the kayaks the other night at the outdoor shop talking about trying to learn how. He has the same situation with "bar-spread" on his saturn. Ill relay the info.

Im all for a surfing thread though most of my stories are me falling over and over. I only started learning towards the end of last summer and got the board then.

Thanks again.