Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 8, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
excinder
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511710
Default 03 WRX stage 2 clutch issues

Hey all. The car had a stage 2 clutch installed around 100k miles, now has 121K. Not sure what brand. Bought it from a dealer. It used to be the owners kids car before he got an evo I didn't have any issues with the car for the first 1000 miles, but now the clutch seems to slip when doing pulls in 3rd and 4th gear around 3500 when the turbo really gets spooled. Never had a manual before, so I'm not totally sure its the clutch but gathering from all i've read I don't think it's anything else. It never slips in 1st gear, sometimes second. The rpm's will jump from 3000-3500 quickly to 5-6000, and float around there while accelerating. Doesn't feel like a solid link to the engine. I tried adjusting the clutch pedal since I thought it may not be fully enaging since it was near the top, and it worked at first but then seemed to go back to old habits a few days later. https://www.clubwrx.net/threads/adju...-pedal.103123/ The clutch is apparently rated for 400hp, and with only 21k i wasn't expecting to have to replace the clutch already >.< I was wondering if there is anything else it could be, whether that be bad tranny fluid or maybe differential issues? Thanks, first post here. Excited to contribute
excinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #2
chilakas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 210354
Vehicle:
2003 Wrx
Blue

Sounds like the clutch is definitely slipping.That's exactly how a clutch slips. I highly doubt it's anything else. Allot of times unexperience driving wears the clutch really early. I know i went through clutches when i first started driving manual. You can smell the clutch when you're wearing it out too much on take off.

Last edited by chilakas; 02-15-2020 at 07:01 PM.
chilakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495630

that clutch plate is most likely worn down by the sound of it and its eventually going to start slipping all the time, to the point where it will become undriveable probably during the next 1000 miles by what you are describing, It will get worse in cold weather too. If you bought the car during the summer or fall it may not have been cold enough for you to notice it that much and now that the weather is colder its showing up. They probably beat the crap out of it after the new clutch was installed and wore it out prematurely.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
Unabomber
👏 Big Ron 👏

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Clutches are NOT rated by horsepower, but by torque. Now that this is in the right forum, go search for and read the post titled Clutch & Flyweel FAQ. Get your flywheel resurfaced at clutch swap time. If you are the typical Stage 2 tune or less, just get a new OEM clutch and nothing more unless you find a superstar sale on say a stage 1 clutch from whatever maker. If you are above Stage 2, then you need to consider something better than OEM/Stage 1.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
4kworld
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 503359

hope you got it sorted definitely sounds like its slipping
4kworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:06 PM   #6
hybrid gti 2
Scooby Guru

Member#: 67004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

One, what clutch are you using? Two, what transmission is in your car? Why you ask. As a 5 speed may break. What clutch because clutch material and quality matters.
hybrid gti 2 is offline   Reply With Quote