Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 9, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
WREXJake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 474259
Default Weird Low End Knock/RodKnock?

At low rpm’s I get a metal clank that sounds almost like rodknock but I have no idea. It only comes when I’m blipping the throttle while I’m not moving (parked) and consistent at around 2-3k while driving. I don’t have a Accessport, but an open source tune so I can’t monitor knock detection or anything like that. Really worried about it.

Last edited by WREXJake; 12-05-2018 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Fixed Links
WREXJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2018, 03:17 AM   #2
grey wolf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 465431
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2002 JDM V7 STI
WRB

Does it go away once the engine is up to full operating temp? I hear the timing belt tensioners are known to make noises that sound just like a rod knock. One thing you could do is at your next oil change, cut open the oil filter and look for bits of metal that got caught in the filter material. If it's clean, you're probably ok, or at least it probably isn't a bearing. If you find a bunch of metal flakes in there though, you might be looking at a bearing failure.
grey wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
WREXJake
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey wolf View Post
Does it go away once the engine is up to full operating temp? I hear the timing belt tensioners are known to make noises that sound just like a rod knock. One thing you could do is at your next oil change, cut open the oil filter and look for bits of metal that got caught in the filter material. If it's clean, you're probably ok, or at least it probably isn't a bearing. If you find a bunch of metal flakes in there though, you might be looking at a bearing failure.
I was thinking tensioner too, and it doesnít really go away when itís fully warmed up maybe just less noticeable Itís hard to say.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
adam99
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480524
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Black

Does the sound get worse with rpms? Is it only between 2-3k?
adam99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
WREXJake
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam99 View Post
Does not get worse, only between 2-3k and it stays almost the same speed.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
WREXJake
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam99 View Post
itís un noticeable past 3k ish. I donít know if thatís because I just canít hear over my car/turbo or what but I cannot hear it over 3k.