Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 30, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-14-2020, 01:27 AM   #26
egodestruct
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 508775
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
CWP

I installed the kartboy diff bushings today and discovered something interesting on my 2020 WRX.

It looks like Subaru is now adding some sort of bracket for rigidity and/or dampening. It was blocking the gaps in the stock rear diff bushings (where the kartboy inserts would go) so I had to remove it before I could install them.

I removed the bracket, installed the rear diff bushings and then 2 of the donuts on the subframe. I put 2 of the donuts on the lower underside of the subframe as it seemed like they fit into the gap of the stock bushing well, but I couldn't figure out what to do with the other 2 . I tried to put them up top between the subframe and the body, but they didn't seem to fit quite right up there. Kinda ****ty for kartboy to not include any instructions whatsoever for these.

In any case, driving around I don't really notice much of a difference. In fact, I feel like I'm noticing more drivetrain movement than before. I wonder if the stock bracket was actually doing quite a bit to keep movement down?

https://i.imgur.com/pDCSZfD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eNtPLc1.jpg
egodestruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2020, 06:48 AM   #27
fullah
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 233053

Those 4 donuts from the kartboy kit go on the carrier bracket. You have to support the diff to drop the carrier and put one on each side of the carrier. If you follow the perrin lock down instructions it shows you where they go.

That's totally interesting that Subaru realized there's an issue there. That means we're on to something! As I expected the aluminum pitch stop didn't really change much so my issue isn't there. Next step is getting a mini camera under the hood and see if I can tell if something is actually moving while driving or if it's just the sensation. I really hope the group n mounts are not bad somehow. They're such a pain to install.
fullah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #28
fullah
Scooby Newbie

I'm almost certain my issue is the engine moving side to side . I pryed side to side at each frame rail to the motor and this is what I found. This isn't much force on my end so this doesn't seem normal. Maybe the transmission mount is masking the engine mounts being broken but I started feeling my wheels wobbling. Not in the steering wheel but the actual wheels feel like there's movement there. Maybe it would be because the engine is twisting side to side pushing on the axles.

Is this normal?

Last edited by fullah; 03-14-2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #29
fullah
Scooby Newbie

Finally got the car on a lift. No noticible vibrations from the driveshaft or carrier bearing. Not sure what the purpose of this little rubber onto the metal mount is..is this normal for it to be ripped off like that? The movement you see if me prying at the mount with a 3' prybar.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:37 PM   #30
2017WRXMTUSDM
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 493497

If you have any of the OEM mounts that are in decent condition, you could try replacing the aftermarket parts one by one to see if the problem goes away.

Although I haven't experienced any problems in my 2017 related to motor movement or vibration, we did put the Perrin firewall bracket which spreads to load over a great area, then we used the stock rubber isolated pitch arm. This seems to work pretty good.

One thing to consider about the aftermarket, many parts are made in China, some parts from China a excellent, while others not so much. Do you know where your suspect parts were made?
2017WRXMTUSDM is offline   Reply With Quote