Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-21-2002, 11:55 PM   #1
Bangston
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 19139
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza 2.5RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

Default Deciding between an RS and a Mazda Protege 5

I'm either getting an RS or a Mazda Protege 5. Can anyone give any info as to why I should choice the RS over the Protege?
Bangston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2002, 12:58 AM   #2
ychan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9418
Vehicle:
2002 2.5rs
aspen white

AWD is sweet, especially when it rains and in the winter. seeing as you're from ny and boston, you would appreciate that. i personally think the RS looks better. don't get me wrong, i think the protege 5 looks sweet, too. in fact, i too was looking at getting one.

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the protege 5 some what of a slug? is your choice between the protege 5 and the TS (seeing as they're are both wagons) or you're really looking at the RS.

i suggest you test drive them both, which i'm sure you will. i think the RS will sell itself. either way, good luck.
-y
ychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 01:25 AM   #3
fukamoto
Scooby Guru

Member#: 13339
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2014 SWP WRX Wagon
White

P5 is a bit on the sluggish side when you compare with the TS or RS. The P5 I believe is 130hp around the vicinity with the same amount of torque. The Subaru boasts 165hp and 166 ftlb. However, I do like the look of the Protege 5 over the Subaru. I mean, with the Protege 5, everything is included except moonroof, air con, automatic transmission. Then again, so is the Subaru. I would probably pick the TS just because you get more bang for the buck. If you want the RS, I would just pick the P5 over RS. Got that

TS over P5.
P5 over RS.

Derek
fukamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 04:06 AM   #4
ASUscooby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 14384
Vehicle:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Pure White

i don't know if i'd say the Ts or rs is a better bang for the buck...yes it has less power but thanks to it's gear ratios it's actually fairly peppy...and the handling is super...both are great cars...the only thing about subarus is that they are a little more expensive...

both cars come with lots of standard equipment...the P5 is cheaper but just as good...

advantages to P5: comes with 4 wheel disc brakes, cruise control, handles really well, cheaper, looks good

advantages to ts/rs: AWD, lots of standard equipment(not quite as much as the P5), more cargo space, more hp

really it's just up to you...i may sound a little biased towards the P5 but that's cuz i own one...but before i bought mine i was searching desperately for an rs...unfortunately i was looking for a 98-2001 rs which are very hard to come by...i just couldn't get over the looks of the impreza unless it was the wrx which i couldn't afford...really you can't go wrong

oh yeah by the way...the P5 comes standard with A/C
ASUscooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 05:10 PM   #5
b_tapper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5291
Vehicle:
'08 Scion xB
Nautical Blue Metallic

Get the P5, wish they were out when I got my RS...

Brian
b_tapper is offline   Reply With Quote