Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday April 13, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
Impreza88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 122950
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Salem, VA
Default Turbocharging my 2.5RS

Hey guys im new to this site so sorry if i sound dumb bout some things..I recently bout a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS and I am very interested in getting a turbo kit for it. I am hoping you guys can give me some help and opinions on how to go about this. I am open to anything and thanks for your help. I could have bought a regular wrx but I just love the GC8 body style too much.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Impreza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:51 AM   #2
Cstmboxermotorsports
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103340
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
1992 RHD WRX

Default

Its not worth turboing the the RS engine... all its going to do is blow up and cost u a lot of money. You should invest in a WRX swap or if u have the funds... an STi swap. You can make a lot more reliable power and its not that huge of a conversion, i did one to my 1993 Impreza (gc8 body also of course).

check EBAY... i bought a rolled over 2002 WRX for 2200$ on there, and i drove it on the trailer.... That way i got EVERYthing i needed for the swap, and some extra stuff.. and i ended up selling enough stuff off the WRX to pay for it
Cstmboxermotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:13 AM   #3
crazyGC8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 107421
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: TN
Vehicle:
MY00 RSTi-SOLD BUILT
MY04 STi-SOLD AG2 S13-DD

Default

Yeah, turboing the RS is a waste of time. Just get a WRX or STi swap.
crazyGC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
RS25scooby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 103611
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

Default

i would say the same thing after researching turbo kits and having three friends that have had turboed rs's. i even started buying parts for the turbo kit and then realized that the swap would be more reliable and about the same price. i am planning on doing a JDM v.3 sti swap into my rs. garage tuning will do the full swap with exhaust, act clutch, flywheel and everything running, out the door for about $6000. or you could do the swap yourself if you're good at wiring and have the resources. the JDM motors will make quite a bit of power though, like for an sti engine depending on the year and if it had any mods, it will probably make between 250 and 300 hp. i would definitely do the swap though. even if you got a usdm motor from a wrecked wrx or something, you are still looking at 217hp (i think) and that's a totally stock motor. if you wanted to and had the money afterward, you could buy a turboback exhaust, up-pipe, and the COBB accessport and run with american STi's easy. just my $.02.

on the other hand, one of my friends rs's had an sti turbo/intercooler, headers, (and a bunch of other stuff), and after tuning he had about 300 hp at 7 psi of boost with really quick spool-up and good torque. i have definitely heard of people blowing motors like this though, and it is always better to have a turbo on a car that was meant to have one from the factory. if you do go the turbo kit route you should definitely get a standalone engine management system, which are usually about $1500 say if you got the hydra.
RS25scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:16 AM   #5
cb07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 124178
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru
PSM

Default

Hmmm, I'm about to pick up a 01 2.5 RS from a friend that has a turbo in it. I've been riding in it since 01 and it hasn't had any troubles at all.

Oh and Impreza88, you could always do the EJ20 swap...
cb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
jworl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 114749
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru BRZ
white

Default

m4d tyt3 jaydee-m tym3! http://www.finelineimports.net/Subar...d_Engines.html!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously, I think a front clip would be an excellent decision
jworl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
dexterous
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 23553
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Grove City, PA
Vehicle:
2005 STI - Insanity!
2014 WRX - Daily

Default

Impreza88,

First, not posting in the correct forum is a real good way to tick off the mods. This thread belongs in the Aftermarket Forced Induction Thread.

Second, turboing a RS is honestly pointless when you can buy WRX motors for less than $2000. I suggest you start hanging out in the Subaru Conversions Thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87
dexterous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:49 PM   #8
immigrant
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 125995
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: daytona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jworl View Post
m4d tyt3 jaydee-m tym3! http://www.finelineimports.net/Subar...d_Engines.html!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously, I think a front clip would be an excellent decision

oooh...real nice link there.

good prices
immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
AREA1320
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 112508
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Easton, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterous View Post
Impreza88,

First, not posting in the correct forum is a real good way to tick off the mods. This thread belongs in the Aftermarket Forced Induction Thread.

Second, turboing a RS is honestly pointless when you can buy WRX motors for less than $2000. I suggest you start hanging out in the Subaru Conversions Thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87
just the motor yes.. not a complete swap.
AREA1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:35 PM   #10
[email protected]
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82064
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: TurboTekTuning Philly/Albany
Vehicle:
2011 sti & evo ix
white

Default

im turboing a 2000 2.5 rs this week using a wrx setup.


also i know a 2.5 rs that was turboed for 90k miles and still ran like a champ when he pulled the motor out to do the swap because he wanted more power. it was running 9psi/ if you are conservative on boost and tune it correctly it will last


a swap is the best thing to do but not everyone has the money

Last edited by [email protected]; 09-22-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Ray@revitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #11
AREA1320
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 112508
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Easton, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
im turboing a 2000 2.5 rs this week using a wrx setup.


also i know a 2.5 rs that was turboed for 90k miles and still ran like a champ when he pulled the motor out to do the swap because he wanted more power. it was running 9psi/ if you are conservative on boost and tune it correctly it will last


a swap is the best thing to do but not everyone has the money
Ray is right.
Its funny, we are also turboing a 2001 RS. we have thicker HG's on it so it should be a little better with the lower cr.
t3t4 custom setup with a Link standalone.
Hey, if we can put down 230 reliably I will be happyas hell.

I kept telling him to do a swap the whole time, so far he is around 3k in the hole.
AREA1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #12
2.5rsTurbo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 99741
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: raleigh, nc
Vehicle:
2005 Wrx Sti
CGM

Default

well, if u decide to do a motor swap or get a front clip...the wiring is the hardest part...ive heard of people putting sti shortblocks on the NA ej25 heads...that way u can still use all ur wiring and slap a turbo kit on it...i would imagine that you could always take heads off any usdm ej20 and keep using the same intake manifold so that you dont have to mess w/ the wiring, that is the cheapest route and easiest...if u dont get an sti shortblock then definitely get a front clip that has many goodies...most of the time you can get a front clip and part out some of it for things that you do want instead of the parts that you dont want...either way, i would personally get a front clip...but the sti shortblock way is fairly reliable...keep in mind though that the shortblock obviously would have to be attached to the heads which isnt cheap, nor insanely expensive...who knows, gl tho
2.5rsTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:05 PM   #13
kpalena
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82431
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Vehicle:
2006 06 wrx limited
CGM

Default Stealthy

In ninja style.........

http://www.rallitek.com/avocotukit.html

Check it out.....

(cloud of smoke....our hero disapears..)
kpalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #14
AREA1320
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 112508
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Easton, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpalena View Post
In ninja style.........

http://www.rallitek.com/avocotukit.html

Check it out.....

(cloud of smoke....our hero disapears..)
$3,495.00.... boom if not carefull.. no where near the potential of a swap.
not only that.. you are only 1k away from a swap.
AREA1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #15
EA82TRally
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73270
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Here is a site that sells used Subaru engines:http://www.ni-mo.com/subaru.htm

Of course, you would have to get an ECU, Wiring, etc. for it if you go this route.

Patrick
EA82TRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #16
982.5gt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 154952
Join Date: Jul 2007
Default

I was wondering if the stock 2.5 heads would bolt up to the sti block? Also I was wondering on 6psi of boost, you're engine shouldn't really blow on that small of boost should it? Thank you in advance.
982.5gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #17
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 832
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Teh Ghetto Garage, CO
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Default

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1307562

It was the first thread in the forum before you bumped this one.
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:14 AM   #18
Tballbiskit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 519119
Join Date: Oct 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS25scooby View Post
i would say the same thing after researching turbo kits and having three friends that have had turboed rs's. i even started buying parts for the turbo kit and then realized that the swap would be more reliable and about the same price. i am planning on doing a JDM v.3 sti swap into my rs. garage tuning will do the full swap with exhaust, act clutch, flywheel and everything running, out the door for about $6000. or you could do the swap yourself if you're good at wiring and have the resources. the JDM motors will make quite a bit of power though, like for an sti engine depending on the year and if it had any mods, it will probably make between 250 and 300 hp. i would definitely do the swap though. even if you got a usdm motor from a wrecked wrx or something, you are still looking at 217hp (i think) and that's a totally stock motor. if you wanted to and had the money afterward, you could buy a turboback exhaust, up-pipe, and the COBB accessport and run with american STi's easy. just my $.02.

on the other hand, one of my friends rs's had an sti turbo/intercooler, headers, (and a bunch of other stuff), and after tuning he had about 300 hp at 7 psi of boost with really quick spool-up and good torque. i have definitely heard of people blowing motors like this though, and it is always better to have a turbo on a car that was meant to have one from the factory. if you do go the turbo kit route you should definitely get a standalone engine management system, which are usually about $1500 say if you got the hydra.
What did your friend with the boosted rs do about tuning specifically? What EM did he do and what all did he change fuel system wise, if he's ever told you
Tballbiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:40 AM   #19
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon VF39
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tballbiskit View Post
What did your friend with the boosted rs do about tuning specifically? What EM did he do and what all did he change fuel system wise, if he's ever told you
Dude this post is from 14 years ago.

There is .01% chance he replies.

Check the post date before reviving old threads.
K3rm1tth3fr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #20
Vancouver98STi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 459287
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Vehicle:
1998 JDM Impreza STi
V4 GF8 White

Cool What are the odds, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post

Dude this post is from 14 years ago.

There is .01% chance he replies.
Considering that he last posted here in 2013, I'd say a ".01% chance he replies" is being overly optimistic.
Vancouver98STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! My 5mt gearbox is trashed in my 2.5RS Coupe. Katonka Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 2 11-20-2007 10:16 PM
Found a turbocharged 2000 2.5RS sabishii Newbies & FAQs 32 05-26-2005 01:14 PM
WTB: OEM rims for snow tires for my my 2.5RS MR2fanatic Tri-State Area Forum 0 12-12-2004 06:03 PM
Is my 2.5rs really a 2.5 liter? ignitor Newbies & FAQs 6 12-09-2004 06:39 PM
What color to paint my 2.5rs bumper that is going on my OBS FlooredSubaru Interior & Exterior Modification 0 06-01-2002 06:03 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.