Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 22, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #51
yorkjj
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 471182
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 Impreza
dark gray

Default Bricked HU

I tried the update for my CM644UL unit in my 2015. The instructions looked exactly the same. I had to try 2 different USB sticks. The update starts but I never get the revolving arrows. I waited over 15 minutes. I tried restarting the car, but all I get now is the update starting and the error message every time. It also has disabled the backup camera feed. What now? I could eat crow and confess to the dealer and see what they can do, or replace the unit myself.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #52
yorkjj
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Impreza
dark gray

Did you ever get your unit unbricked? I might be in the same situation.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #53
redhunter
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 445435
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Base MT E50
18OB, 18XV, 17Impreza

I was probably the first to brick it if you look back in the thread. I didn't worry about it too much as I was planning on getting an aftermarket headunit.

But others that have got into the same situation were successful when they used a different USB drive. I would suggest using a smaller thumb drive say 2-4GB and have it formatted as FAT not exFAT and not NTFS.

If that doesn't work and the dealer won't fix it, you can pick up a used one on ebay for under $100 from people that have upgraded the HU. Even though I installed an aftermarket headunit, I picked up an OEM one on ebay for $50 just to have if available when I want to return everything to stock.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #54
yorkjj
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Impreza
dark gray

Unhappy

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have been wanting an upgraded HU, so I am actively looking around for better Android support. Nothing I tried unbricked the thing.

Still stuck on the error message. Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #55
yorkjj
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Impreza
dark gray

Default Finally unbricked and updated!

OK, with some persistence and trial and error I got my unit unbricked and updated. I had two USB sticks, both of which the car saw. I had originally started the update on stick 2. Stick 1 was tried when the other failed. Every time I restarted it showed the updating prompt then after about 90 seconds it showed the error message. There was no way to get back to any screen.

So, I tried rebooting with the other stick in place. Still showed the starting message followed by the error message. So, I decided to give the stick 2 a try again. However, something weird happened - when booting with the stick in, I never got a starting or error message, just a blank screen. For quite some time. Obviously, the unit was reading the stick but not moving forward.

I then tried something new - booting without the stick in, waiting for the first starting message to appear, then immediately sticking in stick 2. This worked! I then received the 50% progress bar, to be followed quite quickly by the success update message. I removed the stick and rebooted. It took a while to come up, and I don't think the reported faster bootup is part of my update.

But, the unit completely came back, with all of my presets and my bluetooth connections. I went into the system settings and noticed that it was now up to version .037 from the previous .033. Looking into the zip file, it was supposed to be up to version .038 according to other documentation I have seen online about the files, but I am not quibbling.

Not one to leave well enough alone, I went through the update process again and found a few weird little differences with my unit. Starting the update, the screen goes blank, BUT never shows me the updating prompt. I waited over 30 minutes. So, I removed the stick and rebooted. Upon receiving the updating prompt, I inserted the USB stick and things proceeded successfully once again. The difference seems to be the waiting period after starting the update, what to do when the screen goes blank, and when to insert the USB stick.

While I was out of service, I ordered a new unit since there are a few things with this one which do not fully serve me. So, once I have replaced this current Clarion unit with the upgrade, I will have a fully upgraded Clarion unit, if someone wants to make me an offer.

I appreciate this website and forum for the help.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:10 PM   #56
vdv
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 18705
Vehicle:
2002 Legacy L Wagon
Dep sapphire pearl

My WRX HU liked the Kingston flash drive for its upgrade, not another one.
So, looks like bricking the unit is probably not the case - the trouble might be in the HU being picky on a flash drive brand, not even its size.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #57
Dave T
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 465249
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium
Blue

Default Would Firmware upgrade fix random ch. changes?

Hi,
New member here. Recently bought a '16 WRX Premium and am loving it. My 3rd Subie but first WRX. Mine has the non navigation factory radio and yesterday it started acting out of control. I listen to satellite radio mostly, and yesterday while tuned into a station the radio started randomly changing stations. It didn't switch presets, but started just going up one station every 15-20 seconds or so. Then the display would scroll very quickly thru all the stations while still playing what it was tuned to in the last random change - before then changing the tuned station as well. I made sure it wasn't set to scroll mode. For a while it wouldn't turn off, then hitting the power button turned the display off but music still played.
After a few minutes of this I pulled into a parking lot and shut the car off and started it back up. No rapid flipping of the display but still changing stations every 20 or so seconds. I went to source screen and the audio stopped, and I was able to turn off the readio, but a few times when hitting a very typical bump on the road the display would come back one. The display I see is the screen that allows you to choose your source. Before I turned off the car I did check and the random station changes also occur on FM and AM. I didn't have a CD to see how that would work, and I didn't try Aux media or USB.
This morning I started the car to come to work, and the screen was back to where it usually is for me. Blank with the "audio off" text at the top. I normally turn down the volume and turn off the radio when I stop and this is what I get upon getting back in. The car has under 24k miles and I have owned it ( bought used) since February and it has been fine up to this point. All my driving is on decently maintained roads.
Thanks for reading this, and if you have experienced this or have any clues I'd appreciate hearing about it. It's been raining here but as soon as it stops I am going to pop the fuse and see if a reset might fix it, otherwise off to the dealer as I think the bumper to bumper is still in effect.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #58
BHOD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463264
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2018 WRX sport, 6MT
crystal BLACK silica

The only good thing with this crap (clarion 6.2) is that is supposed to be under warranty for 3years/60000km.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #59
cyralax
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 425154
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Sport
Lapis Blue Pearl

Any Canadians tried using US firmware to update?
Old 09-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #60
ChronicLynx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 474112
Default Firmware

So what exactly is the latest firmware for this unit? Mine is on .210, I’m assuming whatever is up for download is technically older than .210 because the versioning is .0xx.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #61
kenshinxl
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305076
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2017 STi Base Sedan
WRB

-deleted-

Last edited by kenshinxl; 09-30-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #62
Blckhat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297027
Default Back it up

The CV641UL has its main filesystem on an SD card in the side of the unit. If you are going to do this, it is probably a good idea to remove the unit and copy the SD card first.

There is also a port on the side that has a UART (Serial port) coming out to it that gives you root access in the Linux OS.
Closed Thread