Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday May 26, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #126
SpamBot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287534
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geez4gavin View Post
Name: C. Jones

Make: 2013 Impreza Sport Hatch

Mileage: 8,000

Time Out Of Use: 0

Problem And Likely Cause: road salt/rocks

Modifications: none

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): no

Reason Given For Denial: dealer stated not covered under warranty

Your Story: I noticed at around 6,500 miles that the paint is peeling off the front, driver's side wheel well. Most of it is gone. The dealer has offered to fix it only if I agree to purchase and have them install the splash guards to the tune of nearly $300. None of the other wheel wells is doing this that I can see with the naked eye. They stated that it's most likely caused by the rocks and winter salts on the roads and most likely just on that side because the salt is pushed to the middle of the roads near the yellow line. I understand how this could happen after maybe years of winter driving but a couple of months...really? Am I nuts for thinking this should be covered if not under the regular warranty, at least the extended warranty? Or should I take their offer to fix and buy splash guards and be satisfied?

Thanks!
Yes. This is not "defective" paint. It's been sandblasted by road salt and sand.
Get an estimate from a body shop to have the paint redone. If it's more than the $300, have the dealer do it and get the splash guards. Consider them a freebie.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SpamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #127
danstheman7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331089
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bellmore NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Base
DGM/Dark Grey Metallic

Default

geez4gavin:

Follow SpamBot's suggestion!
danstheman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #128
voschell
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372890
Join Date: Nov 2013
Default Problem with side view mirror

Name: Chris V.

Make: 2013 Legacy 2.5i Limited

Mileage: 5100

Time Out Of Use: None

Problem And Likely Cause: Side view mirror does not lock into "extended" position, only locks to folded positions. Suspecting/hoping-for faulty swivel mechanism.

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Caused by external forces

Your Story:

Went to go fold my driver's side, side view mirror in and noticed it felt very loose. It will lock forward and lock backward but not extended. Thus, the mirror can move around while I'm driving, which is a problem I can only assume can get worse. After looking through the forums, it seems I'm experiencing the same issue as some 2002 Impreza owners, where a washer was known to break under normal use. There is zero sign of any impact on the mirror or housing (not a scratch). The dealer said that it must have been caused by an impact of some kind. Although this could have theoretically happened when I wasn't near my car, I would think an impact with enough force to break the mechanism would leave a mark. Is this something I should press or just accept defeat?
voschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #129
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Contact SOA. The mirror is supposes to "flex" when contacted by external forces....
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #130
voschell
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372890
Join Date: Nov 2013
Default

Thank you for getting back to me G-Omaha. I did indeed contact SOA, who was quick to respond to my email (within 24 hours). In the meantime, I actually found a separate dealership who didn't try to dodge the warranty issue. They inspected it, fixed it, and had me on my way in an hour flat (without appointment). If anybody needs a reputable dealership in Seattle, I think I found one.
voschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #131
SpecialWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 377068
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Palmerton, PA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Special Edition Orange

Default

Name: Zayne

Make: 2013 Subaru WRX Special Edition

Mileage: 6500 miles

Problem And Likely Cause: Chipping, peeling, and see-through paint. Car was not painted or prepared properly.

Modifications: Only Exterior mods are Rally Sport mud flaps.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Caused by outside source and "car was prepared and painted to match Subaru Standards"

Your Story:

Hey guys, I'm from Northeastern PA and I have a 2013 Special Edition WRX with almost 6500 miles. I bought it brand new August 3rd 2013 and only drive it on the weekends. The whole front end (bumper and hood) is full of chips. The bumper has a spot where the paint is peeling off. And you can see through the paint on the inside edge of the front access panel. All chips that are on metal surfaces are already beginning to rust.

The Subaru dealer, Subaru representative, and 1-800-Subaru-3 all say that "this was caused by outside sources, the paint was prepared and applied to Subaru standards, and the paint is holding up to Subaru standards." All three said the same thing, nearly verbatim.

SOA said they would give the dealer $1000 towards fixing it but the total bill would $2400 meaning that I would have to pay the other $1400 out of pocket.

Sorry for the wall of text. I have 17 pictures showing the defects (not so sure how to upload pictures on here). Any idea where I should go from here?

Link to album: http://imgur.com/a/veoQi#0
SpecialWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #132
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialWRX View Post
Name: Zayne Make: 2013 Subaru WRX Special Edition Mileage: 6500 miles Problem And Likely Cause: Chipping, peeling, and see-through paint. Car was not painted or prepared properly. Modifications: Only Exterior mods are Rally Sport mud flaps. Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes Reason Given For Denial: Caused by outside source and "car was prepared and painted to match Subaru Standards" Your Story: Hey guys, I'm from Northeastern PA and I have a 2013 Special Edition WRX with almost 6500 miles. I bought it brand new August 3rd 2013 and only drive it on the weekends. The whole front end (bumper and hood) is full of chips. The bumper has a spot where the paint is peeling off. And you can see through the paint on the inside edge of the front access panel. All chips that are on metal surfaces are already beginning to rust. The Subaru dealer, Subaru representative, and 1-800-Subaru-3 all say that "this was caused by outside sources, the paint was prepared and applied to Subaru standards, and the paint is holding up to Subaru standards." All three said the same thing, nearly verbatim. SOA said they would give the dealer $1000 towards fixing it but the total bill would $2400 meaning that I would have to pay the other $1400 out of pocket. Sorry for the wall of text. I have 17 pictures showing the defects (not so sure how to upload pictures on here). Any idea where I should go from here? Link to album: http://imgur.com/a/veoQi#0
Forget about the chips. There is absolutely no way you can prove that was by defect. I know, sucks seeing chips in your brand new car - but it happens. Even mentioning this when talking about the warranty service is likely going to get you some weird looks and then dismissing everything else you say.

The peeling and thin coat you might have a point with.

Have you tries taking it to another dealer?
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:52 AM   #133
avikm289
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315748
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long island NY
Vehicle:
2017 wrx sti
ice silver metallic

Default







I was denied warranty for this. 3 year old 2012 wrx sedan, about 50k miles on it. I'm the original owner and on rear end or side accidents/collisions etc. anyone can help?
avikm289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #134
RexyGirl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63616
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mastro Subaru, Sanford FL
Vehicle:
1996 Volvo 850 Turbo
with mods :)

Default

What did they give as a reason for denial? Rust warranty is 5 years, unlimited mileage.
RexyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #135
JRim
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 246777
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange, CA
Vehicle:
99 2.5 RS
White

Default

Outer body rust through is 5 years. Panel must be perforated by rust. That panel is not perforated.
JRim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #136
NK2201
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350761
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Texas
Vehicle:
2010 Forester 5-spd
Paprika Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialWRX View Post
Name: Zayne

Make: 2013 Subaru WRX Special Edition

Mileage: 6500 miles

Problem And Likely Cause: Chipping, peeling, and see-through paint. Car was not painted or prepared properly.

Modifications: Only Exterior mods are Rally Sport mud flaps.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Caused by outside source and "car was prepared and painted to match Subaru Standards"

Your Story:

Hey guys, I'm from Northeastern PA and I have a 2013 Special Edition WRX with almost 6500 miles. I bought it brand new August 3rd 2013 and only drive it on the weekends. The whole front end (bumper and hood) is full of chips. The bumper has a spot where the paint is peeling off. And you can see through the paint on the inside edge of the front access panel. All chips that are on metal surfaces are already beginning to rust.

The Subaru dealer, Subaru representative, and 1-800-Subaru-3 all say that "this was caused by outside sources, the paint was prepared and applied to Subaru standards, and the paint is holding up to Subaru standards." All three said the same thing, nearly verbatim.

SOA said they would give the dealer $1000 towards fixing it but the total bill would $2400 meaning that I would have to pay the other $1400 out of pocket.

Sorry for the wall of text. I have 17 pictures showing the defects (not so sure how to upload pictures on here). Any idea where I should go from here?

Link to album: http://imgur.com/a/veoQi#0
Hate to say it, but those chips are all what I would expect from following a car too closely. All the chips face forward. The paint coming off the bumper likely started as a chip, that then expanded because the paint on bumpers is flexible and could have been pulled away by automated car washes or more rock hits. My advice is to change your driving habits and buy some touch up paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avikm289 View Post






I was denied warranty for this. 3 year old 2012 wrx sedan, about 50k miles on it. I'm the original owner and on rear end or side accidents/collisions etc. anyone can help?
I would contact SOA. While you could argue the panel isn't perforated by the rust, the panel is clearly separated because of the rust. This is a very unusual spot for rust to form and some kind of weld failure or retaining water in the body are likely to blame. I'd fight this one, take it to a body shop if need be and see if they can come up with a potential cause. You may have to pay them to inspect it thoroughly, but it could greatly improve your bargaining position with SOA.
NK2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #137
avikm289
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315748
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long island NY
Vehicle:
2017 wrx sti
ice silver metallic

Default

I'm working with them now to get it fixed, their only offering 50% reimbursement tho
avikm289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 AM   #138
davidpoll950
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 428253
Join Date: Aug 2015
Default reall and genuien

reall and genuien
davidpoll950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #139
vutorious
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 415031
Join Date: Mar 2015
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

Name: Todd V

Make: 2015 WRX Limited

Mileage: 6000

Time Out Of Use: None

Problem And Likely Cause: Clear-coat etching caused by paintballs

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Caused by non-natural forces

Your Story: Bought the car at the end of July last year and was scammed into purchasing the Xylon coating they claimed would protect the paint. What sold me was the warranty they offered. After helping coach my alma mater's paintball team at a tournament, went to see that my car had taken a few hits from stray paintballs flying over the netting (about 70% of the other cars had been hit as well). The car had been sitting outside in direct Texas summer sunlight and I then immediately took the car to get hand washed (the workers there looked at my car with horror). I expected no damage to be done. The car looked fine afterwards, but noticed in the morning dew it would highlight where the paint splats were. Took the car to get clay bared and waxed, but the "splat edges" were still visible. Submitted a claim to Subaru and Xylon, and Subaru said to take it up with Xylon. Xylon denied the claim stating that it was not a natural occurrence. After reading the fine print a bit closer, it doesn't look like the warranty covers anything - not even bird droppings. My car before this, a black 07 Civic, had been hit many times in the past and never had this problem before - granted the clear coat on that car oxidized after only 3 years.
vutorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #140
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vutorious View Post
Name: Todd V

Make: 2015 WRX Limited

Mileage: 6000

Time Out Of Use: None

Problem And Likely Cause: Clear-coat etching caused by paintballs

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Caused by non-natural forces

Your Story: Bought the car at the end of July last year and was scammed into purchasing the Xylon coating they claimed would protect the paint. What sold me was the warranty they offered. After helping coach my alma mater's paintball team at a tournament, went to see that my car had taken a few hits from stray paintballs flying over the netting (about 70% of the other cars had been hit as well). The car had been sitting outside in direct Texas summer sunlight and I then immediately took the car to get hand washed (the workers there looked at my car with horror). I expected no damage to be done. The car looked fine afterwards, but noticed in the morning dew it would highlight where the paint splats were. Took the car to get clay bared and waxed, but the "splat edges" were still visible. Submitted a claim to Subaru and Xylon, and Subaru said to take it up with Xylon. Xylon denied the claim stating that it was not a natural occurrence. After reading the fine print a bit closer, it doesn't look like the warranty covers anything - not even bird droppings. My car before this, a black 07 Civic, had been hit many times in the past and never had this problem before - granted the clear coat on that car oxidized after only 3 years.
I'm not sure why you decided to post this here.

No rational person would expect a car to be undamaged by high velocity paint balls being shot at it.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #141
WraeDeoHed
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 162536
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy 2.5 GT
Silver

Default Trunk Rust

Name: Zayne

Make: 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT

Mileage: 65000 miles

Problem And Likely Cause: Rust all through trunk lid.

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Caused by outside source and "car was prepared and painted to match Subaru Standards"

Your Story:Took my LGT to Subaru dealer where SOA promptly denied it, however two dealers covered it anyway to use my trunk lid as an example to why SOA needs to either change their manufacturing process or start honoring their warranty.
WraeDeoHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #142
Ace87
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 450889
Join Date: Jul 2016
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Default

Name: Ace

Make: 2016 Subaru WRX

Mileage: 3175

Time Out Of Use: 1 Day so far

Problem And Likely Cause: Passenger rear window shattered while driving on the highway at 65 mph. No vehicles were around me at the time, no rocks being thrown, clear weather. All windows were up. Possible glass fault or binding condition.

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Was told that glass is not covered under warranty, goodwilled after calling Subaru customer relations

[b]Your Story [b]

During normal highway driving with no vehicles around me the passenger rear window glass shattered. Dealership tried to convince me it was a rock. Was told glass is not covered by warranty. Referred to Subaru customer relations, vehicle now being repaired at dealership under goodwill.

Last edited by Ace87; 08-29-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Ace87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #143
xtremsiege2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 232721
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2015 wrx premium
ICM

Default

Name: Matt
Make: 2015 Subaru WRX

Mileage: 9000

Time Out Of Use: 0

Problem And Likely Cause:Passenger side paint is completely stained from skunk spraying it a few days prior.

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Was told that the stains were from an outside source not related to the subaru paint. They told me to file a comprehensive claim and they were not liable for the problem.
xtremsiege2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:07 PM   #144
RexyGirl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63616
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mastro Subaru, Sanford FL
Vehicle:
1996 Volvo 850 Turbo
with mods :)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremsiege2 View Post
Name: Matt
Make: 2015 Subaru WRX

Mileage: 9000

Time Out Of Use: 0

Problem And Likely Cause:Passenger side paint is completely stained from skunk spraying it a few days prior.

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Was told that the stains were from an outside source not related to the subaru paint. They told me to file a comprehensive claim and they were not liable for the problem.
Not sure why you would think this would be warranty. It was caused by an outside influence (which you admitted), not a defect. Your insurance company should cover it
RexyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Drivetrain (Engine, Tranny, Diff, Etc.) North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 3096 05-01-2018 04:52 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Suspension North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 56 03-21-2018 11:09 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Electrical (Lighting, ECU, Sensors, Etc.) North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 130 01-01-2018 11:05 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Interior North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 67 07-26-2017 08:46 AM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Braking System North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 94 11-23-2016 05:27 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.