Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday November 20, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
WRXCrazy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 86161
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Default Wrong transmission (final drive) ruin a rear diff?

I have a 2002 WRX Wagon.

This winter I had to replace my transmission. When I got the car back i noticed my spedometer was way off. 65 mph on the spedo = 81 mph with my gps. A few months later, AKA, July. I started to hear a loud whirring noise from the rear which i assumed was a bearing. I planned to take it back to someone to have it looked at, but before I could i heard a loud bang from the rear and the whirring stopped. Pushed the clutch in and quickly got to the side of the highway.

I've had the car back at the shop and i'm suspecting they're going to give me news that the rear differential is shot (they've told me the problem is in the rear differential, but not exactly what the issue is yet). Could They have put in the wrong tranny from say a Forester with the incorrect final drive ratio and could that have caused the issue with the rear differential?

I did a ton of suspension upgrades including the sedan front end swap which widens the track 20 mms. I also replaced the front and rear sway bars (22mm front, 22mm rear adjustable set on the middle). All of this work and the tranny work was done about the same time and afterwards i noticed it was incredibly easy to put the back end out. Like, i had to try harder not to kick it out. I attributed this to crappy tires and the addition of oversteer from the suspension set up. Could this also be related to the rear diff issue?

Thanks for any wisdom. I looked around the FAQ and couldnt really find anything that made turned on any light bulbs.
WRXCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

id think the center diff would be bad before the rear diff as that is what takes up the difference in speed between the front and rear axles....but the rearend may be bad too

if the speedo is off that far then id say for sure the ratios dont match and at least the center diff is 100% toast by now

the foresters usually had a 4.44 fd ratio and iirc, the 02 wagon was 4.11...so yeah
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
WRXCrazy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 86161
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
id think the center diff would be bad before the rear diff as that is what takes up the difference in speed between the front and rear axles....but the rearend may be bad too

if the speedo is off that far then id say for sure the ratios dont match and at least the center diff is 100% toast by now

the foresters usually had a 4.44 fd ratio and iirc, the 02 wagon was 4.11...so yeah
MT is 3.90 on an 02 WRX. You're probably right about it affecting the center diff first. I need to look at the tranny and see if I can figure out exactly what it is before I make too many assumptions.
WRXCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXCrazy View Post
MT is 3.90 on an 02 WRX. You're probably right about it affecting the center diff first. I need to look at the tranny and see if I can figure out exactly what it is before I make too many assumptions.

it was the AT bugeyes that had the 4.11 rearend
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote