Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
UncleFester
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488783
Default IAG shortblock swap - Pro shop or DIY?

Hello all,
I have a FBO 2018 base WRX, 6k gentle miles, Brentuned for e60. It is stupid fun already and I have no idea why I'm even thinking about this but here goes...

Goal:
Remove the looming dark cloud that is the stock internals.
Max HP/TQ on stock turbo.
Reliability (I know..)
Daily driver, occasional spirited pulls, mountain runs.

Can a meticulous and technical person with a garage, a tool budget, and no motor building experience swap in an IAG stage 2 short block using just the WRX service manual or other guides?
What documentation do most people use?

What are the bare minimum supporting parts, accessories, and materials? I'm guessing beefier clutch while I'm in there.

What minimum head work is required vs. the "while were in there" tweaks? Where is best to source head work?

I know I'm asking a lot and this probably could be about 7 threads, but I dont need a deep dive yet, just the basics. Thanks in advance!

2018 base wrx
6k miles
Cobb AP, Verticooler, GS EBCS, iag AOS, Cobb ff kit, GS catted J, invidia Q300, TGV deletes, stock intake
Exterior - bone stock.

Last edited by UncleFester; 07-06-2019 at 08:41 PM.
UncleFester is offline   Reply With Quote