Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
5spd Alcyone
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34383
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1992 SVX-T3/T04E
Dark Teal Metallic

Default My turbo SVX project

I thought i would share with the nabisco guys my project and get your opinion on the headers etc. Everything is being finish welded this week.
Specifics include:
t3/t04 E-trim .57 a/r cold side .63 Hotside
Custom made 3-2-1 stainless steel collector.
Full stainless steel 3 inch exhuast Downpipe and exhuast, no cats
Full stainless 2.5" intercooler piping

26.6"x6.5x3.5 core FMIC, 2.5inch endtanks
Tial 38mm External Wastegate with 4psi spring(to start off with)
HKS SSQ snap-ring style BOV
Greddy Oil filter adapter
Greddy peak hold Boost guage
AEM guage style UEGO Wideband controller (Bosch o2)
Stainless steel oil lines
ECUtune stage 2v5 Engine Management
-Z32 MAF
Walbro 255LPH Fuel pump to replace stock 140LPH stock(WRX install kit fits with minor modifications)
Adjustable RRFPR
4 ply couplers
Pictures of Work in progress: *Links fixed*
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...0&d=1136698266
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...4&d=1135999368
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...7&d=1136050956
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...6&d=1136698096
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...7&d=1136698151
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...8&d=1136698210

Well let me know what you all think of the header design and the intake plenum design especially. The header will be hit or miss, may have to be redone if the sharp curve causes creep. like i said its getting close, so thought i would share and see what you guys think.

thanks in advance for your comments/support

Phil
[email protected]

Last edited by 5spd Alcyone; 01-17-2006 at 02:30 PM.
5spd Alcyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
White 2.5rs
Scooby Guru

Member#: 39936
Vehicle:
99RS TWE&SCAT EJ257
Hydra+HMist+PPG+35R=DEATH

you should redo your links
nasioc has a tendency of messing up links
White 2.5rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
5spd Alcyone
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 SVX-T3/T04E
Dark Teal Metallic

thanks for pointing that out. Weird.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Porter
Scooby Guru

Member#: 486
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2014 BMW 328i xDrive
F31 Sport Wagon

The ECUtune is going to be your stumbling block.

If you want to do a DIY-ish EM system like the ECUtune, just use a MegaSquirt.

For my money though, I'd do a totally custom-mapped AEM EMS and convert the car to wasted spark. I can't overestimate the difference.
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Sounds like a fun project. Have you stuck to the stock compression or are you running Ej22T pistons?
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
DoctorNick
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7022
Vehicle:
2001 Forester
Arcadia green

Thats gonna have some KICKASS midrange torque.
DoctorNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #7
White 2.5rs
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99RS TWE&SCAT EJ257

^^^ word

are you going to get it painted?

cool project though, makes me wish i had some funds for my car so i could play with it!
Old 01-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
5spd Alcyone
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 SVX-T3/T04E
Dark Teal Metallic

Thanks guys.
Specifically on the header, what are your thoughts? do you think the bend is too radically near the turbo? and what about the intake plenum, think that will be bias? im really looking for some experienced opinion on those two areas.

ecutune is most definetly not a stumbling block. Its on successfully boosted SVX and working great, 7° less primary ignition advance, and allows the injectors to function well past the stock limitations of the SVX maf with the z32 maf. Also remapped to around 12.5:1, but i can change that with fuel pressure. Im only running 4lbs of boost for starters and have an in car AEM wideband. People with blowers are running 7lbs no problem. Im definetly not looking to get crazy....yet

he idea that EJ22T pistons will work in an SVX actually turned out to be true...but not in the way you might expect. The SVX has a completely differnt combustion chamber design due to the completely differnt ideas of the motors. The SVX has a 52cc combustions chamber, with turbo 2.2 chamber mesures in at around 38cc. the pistons are actually posotive off the block if you can believe that. Off the top of my head i can not shoot you the number for the dish of the 2.2 pistons compared to the SVX,but using 2.2T pistons would give us a compression of 7.3:1 and using 2.2 NA pistons would give us 8.3:1. JE would have to be the way to go. It would not be worth it for my current project, so i am going with the stockers and low boost for bit power. 4 psi works out to be about 361hp worth of theoretical air (~536cfm i believe i came up with using the FSM and basic theoretical calculations).

Right now im just a college student, looking to graduate in the next year. I will eventually paint the car when i have a garage to put it in. but for now it will be fun whooping up on the unsuspecting
phil
Old 01-17-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Kevin Thomas
Street Racing Instructor

Member#: 110
Vehicle:
1989 1989 XT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spd Alcyone
Off the top of my head i can not shoot you the number for the dish of the 2.2 pistons compared to the SVX,but using 2.2T pistons would give us a compression of 7.3:1 and using 2.2 NA pistons would give us 8.3:1. JE would have to be the way to go. It would not be worth it for my current project, so i am going with the stockers and low boost for bit power. 4 psi works out to be about 361hp worth of theoretical air (~536cfm i believe i came up with using the FSM and basic theoretical calculations).
Can you calculate how much boost you can run off of 93 and 103 octane of fuel if you were to run with the 2.2T 7.3:1 pistons? How much power can you make with those pistons and that low of a compression and it be reliable? I know, 7.3:1 is ridiculous BUT I'm curious for my own reasons. Don't mind me. Thanks!
Kevin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:02 PM   #10
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Member#: 13617
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back
to stock is a project too

the header will be fine, looks good to me. The intake manifold being biased i am not sure about, are you concerned about the IRIS function? or how would it be biased, it is a symmetrical shape and runner design, plus it wont matter much anyways since it will be pressurized.

Ben
PHATsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:57 PM   #11
White 2.5rs
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99RS TWE&SCAT EJ257

Nice work on those welds btw
this is turning into a cooler project than i thought, i didnt even see the header/collector pic
Old 01-18-2006, 12:58 AM   #12
Porter
Scooby Guru

Member#: 486
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2014 BMW 328i xDrive
F31 Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spd Alcyone
ecutune is most definetly not a stumbling block. Its on successfully boosted SVX and working great, 7° less primary ignition advance, and allows the injectors to function well past the stock limitations of the SVX maf with the z32 maf. Also remapped to around 12.5:1, but i can change that with fuel pressure. Im only running 4lbs of boost for starters and have an in car AEM wideband. People with blowers are running 7lbs no problem. Im definetly not looking to get crazy....yet
phil
Has something changed? It was my understanding that the Ecutune was an EEPROM-based piggyback that was flashed with a base map, and offered no real tuning ability beyond that. Any "engine management" solution that doesn't offer the ability to actively tune fuel and timing maps is a problem waiting to happen.

But hey, I'm just a stickler. Good luck with your project!
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:06 AM   #13
5spd Alcyone
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 SVX-T3/T04E
Dark Teal Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter
Has something changed? It was my understanding that the Ecutune was an EEPROM-based piggyback that was flashed with a base map, and offered no real tuning ability beyond that. Any "engine management" solution that doesn't offer the ability to actively tune fuel and timing maps is a problem waiting to happen.

But hey, I'm just a stickler. Good luck with your project!

incorrect. visit the link and read about it. Its not tunable, becuase it extends the stock computers ability to properly read and fuel 400+hp worth of air, injector limited which will be over the 350hp mark. Best part about this system is just that. The stock computer, 7 degrees less primary ignition advance(the SVX has a primary and secondary ignition talbe. head over to the SVX-network to read all about the stage 2v5 software), perfect for forced induction, and being utilized by a number of blower kits as we speak running the same amount of boost. Had it been a piggyback i would agree that it would be time bomb.
Megasquirt is a nightmare in street cars, trust me ive used it. But lets not get too far off track.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:14 AM   #14
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

7.3:1 CR isn't really all that ridiculous. Ej22T w/Ej25 heads is about the same and many guys have gone that route. I am not surprised that the Ej22T pistons clear the deck. They clear the deck on the EJ22T block as well. It just requires a certain thickness of head gasket.

I also wouldn't shy away from using the Ej22E pistons. There are a number of guys using those in turbo'd cars with good results. They are being used in stock Ej22E engines that were boosted, as well as stock Ej22E bottom ends using Ej25 heads. In that configuration they hit around 8.6:1
Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #15
5spd Alcyone
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 SVX-T3/T04E
Dark Teal Metallic

I was referring to my little plenum that connectes to the throttle bodies, but ithink the pressurized part of it will remove all problems with that like you said. I wouldnt want to go that low becuase i dont want to run a bunch of boost. I like how the motor is, and just want to run a little boost. down the road i will eventually get some pistons and build a block, but for now i think the stock high compression and a little boost will be fun
phil
Old 01-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #16
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Not a bad approach. I am taking the same approach with my supercharged Ej25. I will start with stock CR and low boost and later go to lower CR and high boost...
Old 01-19-2006, 04:43 PM   #17
ThuotRDX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16106
Vehicle:
1992 T3/T4 turbo SVX
with a 5 speed

I think it looks excellent!! The up-pipe is a lot better then mine and I love how professional everything looks. Last week I finally finished the new up-pipe for the T4 60-1 it also has a 38mm external WG. I wish my stuff looked as good as yours. You might want to look in to eManage it works very well on my car. I am using all the setting for the z32 with no problems. I have also been thinking about getting a VPC for the z32 and using that. that would just get rid of the MAF but I don't think there is enough adjustment for it to work on an engine that has .3l more displacement then it was meant for but I was surprised that the eManage worked so well so I might give it a shot. Keep us updated.

edit: the only reson the eMange works and the VPC migth is because i also have the ECUtune.
ThuotRDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #18
5spd Alcyone
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 SVX-T3/T04E
Dark Teal Metallic

thanks ! we should be driving tomorrow, assuming i dont run into a problem!

Sam Do you have a pic of your new up-pipe? did you modify the old one or a whole new one similiar to mine? What exactly are u using hte emanage for? fuel?
talk to you soon and thanks for the support guys
Old 01-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #19
ThuotRDX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 T3/T4 turbo SVX
with a 5 speed

I just modified the old up-pipe. I will eventual copy what you have done because I think that it would be more efficient. I do have a pic. I will post it ASAP. I use the eManage to do boost based timing retard as well as control larger 370cc injectors. In ECUtune code he has the AFR way to high for my taste I am looking for 11:1 or lower he is running 12.3+. I feel that it is dangerous to run boost on the stock injectors. tell me how the car runs. i am so exited!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:51 PM   #20
DoomSubie_FL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 84956

.whistles. This is looking very sexy- can't wait to see numbers and i hope everything comes together well for you. Great stuff.
DoomSubie_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #21
ThuotRDX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 T3/T4 turbo SVX
with a 5 speed

Here are some pics. in the pic of the Turbo you can see my the purple 370cc injectors. in the picture of the up-pipe you can see the external gate as well as my new welder in the backround ) enoy!!

Old 01-29-2006, 12:39 AM   #22
5spd Alcyone
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 SVX-T3/T04E
Dark Teal Metallic

wow, looking good! that sure is a big fan....what size feed line is that? im assuming you jsut added a restrictor on it.

I may look into this as well, ill see what i can do with the fuel pressure at the boost level im running and then make a judgment call from there. With the wideband in the car it shouldnt be a problem with my rising rate. ( 4-12 psi of fuel pressure per psi of boost) to get it running fairly well as is. Well all in good time. We need to meet up someday for sure though!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:13 AM   #23
5spd Alcyone
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 SVX-T3/T04E
Dark Teal Metallic

Well i figured I would post up a finalized thread for those who may be interested.
It was a lot of work, and a lot of money but the project has definetly paid off. Im currently running 3.5 lbs of boost on a T3/T04E 57 trim turbocharger. It seems to be a good fit, on the smaller side for an SVX. It boosts and holds perfectly, boost comes on very fast, holds perfectly, and dosnt drop off.

the only drivability issue i have as of right now has a little to do with my altornator on its way out. It will sometimes stall when turning corners as the idle drops down a little toom much(it still idles at 600) if you are not in gear. that being said, the car idles right where it should and is almost as quite as with the stebro idling at 600

I do not have a full exhuast on the car, in fact right now the car has about 2 1/2 feet worth of exhuast total on the downpipe to the bottom of the car were it dumps straight down lol. Its loud at full throttle, but not as bad as you would think just driving around. Il be building a nice 3 inch stainless exhuast in the spring.

The car sounds menacing. And im not trying to toot my own horn here, but when i get on it, the combined sounds of the boxer and external dump wastegate is glorious.

Fuel is handled by ECUtune stage 2v5 z32 maf, and a vortech rising rate FPR (set at 7:1). the car still runs on the rich side at full throttle, but im happy with it for now. Cruising around the car oscillates between 14.5-15, absolutely perfect.

I have driven the car a few times, but took it on its first drive around town for an hour or so. Everything was to be expected. I was concnerend with the heat coming off thepipes being a problem, but after driving the car around for an hour, i can TOUCH the downpipe with my bare hands and not be burned, or even close.

The shop that did my car are close friends of mine, and Chris Shaw, the mastermind behind it has substantial experience from wyotech, and has built his share of fast cars(he owns a 12 second supra, on its way to a T78) I would not reccamend attemping this, even if you have lots of money, unless you do not need to drive your svx, and have lots of patience and expertise. That being said, THIS CAR MOVES. Its faster then i would have ever thought, and im only running 4 lbs of boost at the momment. This motor responds just as you would think it would to boost. with authority.

Here are some pictures, was finally able to pick my digital camrea up from my rents house. I need to find someone with a video camera to take some footage, but the car is going into storage untill the spring(i can still take it for spins but need to refocus back on school....which i havnt been!) but look for some nice 1/4 passes this spring/summer. 13's should not be a problem what so ever, and who knows whatr 6lbs of boost may lay down at the track. Ill go back to the dyno as well, but for now im mentally(and financially) exhuasted.

The black couplers i had didnt fit over the throttle bodies, so i ended up using these old ones for now :/ but ill get some silicone ones with reducers so it looks nice

Not sure if i like the cover on or off. What do you think?

Old 02-25-2006, 01:16 AM   #24
5spd Alcyone
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 SVX-T3/T04E
Dark Teal Metallic

Now i just need to think of a license plate.... ok lets here them guys!!!

Here are is a pic of the guage cluster my friend has made for me. tell me what you think.(everything is very dusty, car has been in a shop for a while )

and finally, its good to have her home
Old 02-25-2006, 01:25 AM   #25
Sko
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 90396
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy 2.5i
Brilliant Silver Metallic

Really sweet setup man, GL w/ everything.
Sko is offline   Reply With Quote