Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #1
eroycarlson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490899
Default 2008 WRX idle problems?

My 2008 WRX has been acting up lately. I havenít been able to find a consistent pattern, but the problem almost seems to be the idle is set too low and sometimes it will either
a) drop below 500 rpms until the car is shaking a lot and then rev itself back up to 1k rpms or
b) stall
I have had a) happen to me while I am sitting with the car in neutral or when i have the clutch in and it is in first gear.
I have had b) happen to me while Iíve been sitting in neutral and driving around.

The problem only seems to happen when the car is warmed up.
In addition, tonight after returning home I started my car up again and the check engine light, traction control light, and cruise control light were all on, even though my traction control was on and my cruise control was off.

https://imgur.com/gallery/IkkIVUG
Regarding the video, sadly it doesnít have sound, but it shows how the RPMS drop down then rise (without me pressing the gas!) and when I put the emergency brake up, the lights I mentioned above all come on.

Also, I tried to see if it would happen after I let the engine cool down, and it did not, but I can see the idle RPMS progressively getting lower the longer itís been running.

Any thoughts before I bring it to the mechanic? (If itís even safe to drive right now?)

(I should add, the car also smells similar to gasoline after letting it run and experience said problems)
eroycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
JSR84
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 469585

Get the code read and report back.
JSR84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
turd_ferguson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 114609
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT

I would start by cleaning your MAF sensor. It's easy to do and could make it run rich at idle (gas smell) if it's really dirty. Also more of a long shot, but make sure that the bypass valve is recirculating back into the intake and that the hose hasn't slipped off; that'll cause all kinds of weird fueling issues.
turd_ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
putrio
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494757
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd_ferguson View Post
I would start by cleaning your MAF sensor. It's easy to do and could make it run rich at idle (gas smell) if it's really dirty. Also more of a long shot, but make sure that the bypass valve is recirculating back into the intake and that the hose hasn't slipped off; that'll cause all kinds of weird fueling issues.
Weird fueling issues like....AF reading 20.4 but gas literally collecting in the exhaust tips due to how rich it's running? I'm currently having similar idle problems to OP, and my AF Correction 1 is at 25, o2 is reading 20.4, and my entire garage smells like gas.
putrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
Foo_Blyat
Scooby Guru

Member#: 93750

A large vacuum leak would cause the idle issues and stalling problem. Happened to me when the vacuum line on the BPV slipped off and my car would shake at red lights and want to die.

The ebrake thing is weird which makes me think electrical so it could also be a bad ground that could cause those symptoms.

Is this car stock. Is it modified. How many miles? Maybe it’s a faulty injector? Too many variables in play currently and things have to be narrowed down more to discover the source of the problem
Foo_Blyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
turd_ferguson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 114609
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo_Blyat View Post
A large vacuum leak would cause the idle issues and stalling problem. Happened to me when the vacuum line on the BPV slipped off and my car would shake at red lights and want to die.
Good call on checking for a vacuum leak.
turd_ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
eroycarlson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo_Blyat View Post

The ebrake thing is weird which makes me think electrical so it could also be a bad ground that could cause those symptoms.

Is this car stock. Is it modified. How many miles? Maybe itís a faulty injector? Too many variables in play currently and things have to be narrowed down more to discover the source of the problem

The car is fully stock other than floor mats and mud flaps so no worries with badly installed mods.
My main worry is this started after at home (but well researched) timing belt change. I havenít had time because of school, but Iíll be checking under the timing belt cover to make sure itís still looking fine and Iíll be checking for any mistakes I possibly made putting everything back together.

Currently at just over 105k miles.

In regards to the electrical problem, both my ground straps (I believe thatís what theyíre called) ended up falling apart, the first I replaced soon after buying the car (6 months ago) and the other Iím planning on replacing soon so hopefully that problem will be fixed.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #8
Fndragn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 470845
Vehicle:
2011 Sti
DGM

Well if this started happening after the timing belt I’d guess what the others have said about a vacuum leak. It’s easy to miss, not fully seat, or bump a hose when your reinstalling all the stuff you disassembled doing the TB swap.
Fndragn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
eroycarlson
Scooby Newbie

Update:
Checked all the vacuum hoses we messed with; no leaks. No problems with the timing belt. I cleaned the mass airflow center, and that seemed to fix the problem. I bought an OBD II reader as well and no codes have shown up, so Iím thinking it was just a minor Ďold carí problem. (I also replaced a broke ground wire, Iím not sure if that lead to any problems though)
Thanks for the input!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
dpenn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 141201
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
DGM

If it comes back, i bet the issue is the rubber o-ring between the intake manifold and tgvs...
It is a common issue on the 08-14 wrx / lgt.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...9-155325.html?

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2299482
dpenn is offline   Reply With Quote