Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday January 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Classifieds > Vendor 'For Sale' Classifieds > Engine/Power/Exhaust

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #176
maperformance
NASIOC Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (80)
 
Member#: 141043
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Vehicle:
2011 STI
black af

Default



Quote:
Originally Posted by goodysgota72 View Post
For those interested, after a couple months with the E30 tune I finally got to mess with a new STi.

He got the jump on me as I started behind the STi already but the WRX ran it down and easily made the pass...it's much quicker!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
__________________
Leo Vishnyak
651-348-8811 x 107

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



I want to earn your business, PM me and tell us how we can become your one stop shop for performance parts today!
ACL / AEM / ACT / Cosworth / Grimmspeed / Invidia / Ksport / Manley / Mishimoto / PTE / Tomei / Turbosmart / Wiseco
maperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #177
subaruBnoobie
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 309963
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, Co
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

I'm running the Stage 1 E-30 tune on my 2018 WRX and am happy with it but ready for stage 2/ I have a Catless DP sitting here and from what I am being told I NEED the MAP intake to pair with the E30 stage 2. Is this correct and if so Do you have any updates on the MAP Intake for the 2018?
subaruBnoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #178
maperformance
NASIOC Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (80)
 
Member#: 141043
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Vehicle:
2011 STI
black af

Default

That is correct. And the 18 intakes can be ordered now. I don't have them up on the website just yet, but I have a few left on the shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruBnoobie View Post
I'm running the Stage 1 E-30 tune on my 2018 WRX and am happy with it but ready for stage 2/ I have a Catless DP sitting here and from what I am being told I NEED the MAP intake to pair with the E30 stage 2. Is this correct and if so Do you have any updates on the MAP Intake for the 2018?
__________________
Leo Vishnyak
651-348-8811 x 107

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



I want to earn your business, PM me and tell us how we can become your one stop shop for performance parts today!
ACL / AEM / ACT / Cosworth / Grimmspeed / Invidia / Ksport / Manley / Mishimoto / PTE / Tomei / Turbosmart / Wiseco
maperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #179
meebs86
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 236467
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentavelant View Post
I have thought about getting this tune for some time. I already have MAP stage 2 tune but the limited availability of E85(only on gas station where i live has it) plus dropping 300 bones for it, It's hard to justify the cost, for me anyways. I love there stage 2 tune but i don't want to have to keep switching back and forth or just use it when i do a track day. For 200 bucks more i can get a protune and not have to worry about finding a gas station that has E85. If the tune is anything like there stage 2, I am sure it's great and worth it for people who has easy access to E85
Having to pay the full $300 is a much tougher sell than getting the discounted $150 price.

Regarding E85 availability - the Gasbuddy app allows you to filter to only show stations with e85 which is really helpful..

Also, since the tune doesn't require any hard parts, as long as you are OK with reflashing the ECU when making the switch, its fairly easy to switch back and forth between pump gas and e30.
meebs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #180
Atomic Wrx
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 492722
Join Date: Oct 2018
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
WRB

Default

Would it be possible to run a ethanol reader in the car to help make sure you have good content
Atomic Wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #181
goodysgota72
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 464619
Join Date: Mar 2017
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: North Texas
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRBlue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Wrx View Post
Would it be possible to run a ethanol reader in the car to help make sure you have good content



If you want the accessport to show you ethanol content, you need the sensor and a tune. At that point you might as well just run a flex fuel tune.

Otherwise Innovate May have a stand-alone sensor/gauge, but itíll be a few hundred bucks. Given MAP suggests E20-E50, you should be able to hit that range pretty easily.
goodysgota72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #182
drac77
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 293269
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
WR Blue Pearl

Default Can this tune run on 93 only?

So the other day I ran into a situation where I needed gas and both the corn friendly places near me were out of fuel. Is there any danger in running only 93/91? Tried looking in a previous posts but didn't see a similar question. I didn't need to as I eventually found a station but got to thinking that I didn't have my A/P in the car to quick re-flash and what if it happened again.
drac77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #183
standardtranny
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 450713
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Super bowl LII champs
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Stage 2
world rally blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac77 View Post
So the other day I ran into a situation where I needed gas and both the corn friendly places near me were out of fuel. Is there any danger in running only 93/91? Tried looking in a previous posts but didn't see a similar question. I didn't need to as I eventually found a station but got to thinking that I didn't have my A/P in the car to quick re-flash and what if it happened again.
Yes.

Flash the appropriate 91 or 93 octane tune first.
standardtranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #184
goodysgota72
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 464619
Join Date: Mar 2017
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: North Texas
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRBlue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac77 View Post
So the other day I ran into a situation where I needed gas and both the corn friendly places near me were out of fuel. Is there any danger in running only 93/91? Tried looking in a previous posts but didn't see a similar question. I didn't need to as I eventually found a station but got to thinking that I didn't have my A/P in the car to quick re-flash and what if it happened again.


Carry the accessport with you. You do not want to run 91/93 on a ~98 octane tune. Ever.
goodysgota72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #185
joesstripclub
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 461015
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kansas City
Vehicle:
2017 WRX

Default

I'm pretty interested in the E30 tune, but I had a thought about E30 the other day that I was hoping to get clarified. I have a station with E85 that has blend pumps that put out E30 and E20. From my research online, it looks like E30 is about 93 to 94 octane, meaning its probably blended with regular fuel. I noticed this thread mentioned 2:1 ratio with premium and E85, which if you are using 93 octane premium would put you at about 97 octane if my math is correct. I know MAP said the tune was flexible on the ethanol level, but I am just curious if the dyno charts put out were using E30 or a blend of premium and E85?

Also new to the Subaru tuning world, but I assume that OTS tunes are able to adjust for altitude? I have a job opportunity in Colorado and would hate to get a tune now and it not be able to adjust for the altitude change.
joesstripclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #186
xorvious
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 483462
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesstripclub View Post
I'm pretty interested in the E30 tune, but I had a thought about E30 the other day that I was hoping to get clarified. I have a station with E85 that has blend pumps that put out E30 and E20. From my research online, it looks like E30 is about 93 to 94 octane, meaning its probably blended with regular fuel. I noticed this thread mentioned 2:1 ratio with premium and E85, which if you are using 93 octane premium would put you at about 97 octane if my math is correct. I know MAP said the tune was flexible on the ethanol level, but I am just curious if the dyno charts put out were using E30 or a blend of premium and E85?
The only stations near me that have E85 only carry 91oct with 0% ethanol so I have had to adjust my blend, I use 4.5 gal of E85 with 7 gallons of 91oct and according to the calculator I use that gives me E33 at 96.5 octane. Thats the same octane as the recommended 2:1 of E85 and premium.
I have had a great experience so far with it, its amazing!
I meant to switch back in the winter, but I have been putting it off so now that its cold I went a little higher with the E85 to make up for the fact that they drop the ethanol % a bit in the winter.
I keep promising ill go back next tank...
xorvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #187
Norskie
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 454461
Join Date: Sep 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodysgota72 View Post
Carry the accessport with you. You do not want to run 91/93 on a ~98 octane tune. Ever.
A question ... Lets say I have ~E30 in the tank and fuel lines. Fill up with E10. Reflash. How is the E10 tune going to handle the remainder of the E30 in the fuel lines?

Vice versa ... E10 in the lines, E30 in the tank. Flash to E30 ... how's that work with the remaining E10 in the lines?

Ultimately the reason I won't go with E30 is the wife won't blend fuel and she'll just get premium and I'm not going to trust that she will re-flash when she fuels up. Until the AP can detect the E level and adjust correctly, it's too risky for me.
Norskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #188
goodysgota72
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 464619
Join Date: Mar 2017
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: North Texas
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRBlue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norskie View Post
A question ... Lets say I have ~E30 in the tank and fuel lines. Fill up with E10. Reflash. How is the E10 tune going to handle the remainder of the E30 in the fuel lines?



Vice versa ... E10 in the lines, E30 in the tank. Flash to E30 ... how's that work with the remaining E10 in the lines?



Ultimately the reason I won't go with E30 is the wife won't blend fuel and she'll just get premium and I'm not going to trust that she will re-flash when she fuels up. Until the AP can detect the E level and adjust correctly, it's too risky for me.


You should run the tank low enough so that when you reflash it, itís close enough. Essentially the fuel light should be on, IMO.

Under no circumstances should you run any mentionable quantity of the wrong fuel for the tune.
goodysgota72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #189
Norskie
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 454461
Join Date: Sep 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodysgota72 View Post
You should run the tank low enough so that when you reflash it, itís close enough. Essentially the fuel light should be on, IMO.

Under no circumstances should you run any mentionable quantity of the wrong fuel for the tune.
What about the fuel lines? Do you need to sit at the gas station and let it idle a few minutes until that fuel is used up, so you're not asking the engine to do much when you have E10 fuel on an E30 tune, and vice versa?
Norskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #190
goodysgota72
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 464619
Join Date: Mar 2017
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: North Texas
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRBlue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norskie View Post
What about the fuel lines? Do you need to sit at the gas station and let it idle a few minutes until that fuel is used up, so you're not asking the engine to do much when you have E10 fuel on an E30 tune, and vice versa?


Thereís not a significant amount of fuel in the lines that i would worry about.
goodysgota72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #191
Norskie
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 454461
Join Date: Sep 2016
Default

Hm, found a gas station in town that sells E30 - no blending required. But octane isn't listed.

Another station has E85 with small print "65% ethanol". At the same pump, there is 91 octane E0 .. so a 1:1 ratio will yield about ~E33, and 2:1 becomes ~E22.

And yet another common choice - E15 @ 88 octane.

Do we need to know the octane of the Exx blends?
Norskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #192
goodysgota72
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 464619
Join Date: Mar 2017
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: North Texas
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRBlue

Default

I would want to know the octane.
goodysgota72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:55 PM   #193
Stija
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 492861
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
18 WRX Stg 2 tuned
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norskie View Post
Hm, found a gas station in town that sells E30 - no blending required. But octane isn't listed.

Another station has E85 with small print "65% ethanol". At the same pump, there is 91 octane E0 .. so a 1:1 ratio will yield about ~E33, and 2:1 becomes ~E22.

And yet another common choice - E15 @ 88 octane.

Do we need to know the octane of the Exx blends?
No. Just run correct ethanol %.
Stija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #194
Stija
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 492861
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
18 WRX Stg 2 tuned
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norskie View Post
A question ... Lets say I have ~E30 in the tank and fuel lines. Fill up with E10. Reflash. How is the E10 tune going to handle the remainder of the E30 in the fuel lines?

Vice versa ... E10 in the lines, E30 in the tank. Flash to E30 ... how's that work with the remaining E10 in the lines?

Ultimately the reason I won't go with E30 is the wife won't blend fuel and she'll just get premium and I'm not going to trust that she will re-flash when she fuels up. Until the AP can detect the E level and adjust correctly, it's too risky for me.
The first scenario is fine. The second not so much, I’m assuming this is single fuel tune and no Cobb flex kit. I wouldn’t push it in the latter scenario.

I ran 5gal of e55 and the rest 91oct until empty without any issues, and I’m tuned stage 2 for 91oct. Car sounded stronger but wasn’t, going back to 91oct resulted in it sounding smooth again.
Stija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #195
Stija
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 492861
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
18 WRX Stg 2 tuned
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodysgota72 View Post
If you want the accessport to show you ethanol content, you need the sensor and a tune. At that point you might as well just run a flex fuel tune.

Otherwise Innovate May have a stand-alone sensor/gauge, but itíll be a few hundred bucks. Given MAP suggests E20-E50, you should be able to hit that range pretty easily.
You need the sensor and the module to communicate it to the ap. You do not need a tune to see the ethanol content but you do need to activate ethanol fueling in accestuner otherwise you could monitor the ethanol content through the tgv (left or right depending where you connect) voltage 0.5-4.5v for 0-100% ethanol respectively.

You can also build your own flex fuel module and get a dual fuel tune. I built one for 100$ and am testing it this weekend. Or you can buy cobbs kit for 600$.
Stija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #196
goodysgota72
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 464619
Join Date: Mar 2017
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: North Texas
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRBlue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stija View Post
No. Just run correct ethanol %.


E30 with [email protected] and E85 is not the same octane as E30 with [email protected] and E85. I donít agree. Youíre fuel trims will be fine, but the timing table will not be, due to the lower knock resistance.

I would not run this tune without mixing it as intended. Itís already walking the line of what an OTS tune should be doing. Just my 2cents.
goodysgota72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #197
Stija
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 492861
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
18 WRX Stg 2 tuned
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodysgota72 View Post
E30 with [email protected] and E85 is not the same octane as E30 with [email protected] and E85. I don’t agree. You’re fuel trims will be fine, but the timing table will not be, due to the lower knock resistance.

I would not run this tune without mixing it as intended. It’s already walking the line of what an OTS tune should be doing. Just my 2cents.
Perhaps I did not understand his question.

If he is pumping e30 from a pump he does not need to know what’s the other 70% and whether it’s 87 or 91.

If he’s mixing to get to e30, I don’t think it still matters. The tune is for e30 not 91oct30e. Ethanol gives all the knock resistance he needs. Are you implying that there is e30 tunes for 91oct and 93oct or something?
Stija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #198
goodysgota72
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 464619
Join Date: Mar 2017
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: North Texas
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRBlue

Default

Within the same thread.
goodysgota72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #199
Stija
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 492861
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
18 WRX Stg 2 tuned
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodysgota72 View Post
Within the same thread.
Not recommended. And hearsay at that.

You do what you want or makes you feel comfortable. Unless MAPerformwnce comes out with a 87e30, 91e30, and 93e30 tune maps it simply doesnít matter what their sales person recommends.

If you think 91oct will work better than it will. However, for those less superstitioius folks, you can just fill with e30 and youíll be fine.
Stija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:52 PM   #200
GlarryHoodDIT
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 460907
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Default

You want the highest octane possible. There is a significant difference in the detonation of 6 Octane points. Running 87 Octane E 30 when you can run 93 Octane E 30 is asking for problems.

Ethanol content and octane rating ARE NOT the same thing. Just saying it's an E30 tune you can run whatever you want without taking Octane rating into effect is mind boggling.

Run the highest octane you can. If that's 93 then run 93 and add the ethanol.

Last edited by GlarryHoodDIT; 01-18-2019 at 12:31 AM.
GlarryHoodDIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.