Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 21, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-26-2024, 06:13 PM   #1
wyowrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34157
Vehicle:
00 Toyota MR-S
Black

Default 2002 WRX differences to 2002 2.5 RS

Are the transmissions, hubs, and wiring harnesses all the same? I searched and couldn't tell for sure.
wyowrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2024, 10:01 PM   #2
hybrid gti 2
Scooby Guru

Member#: 67004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

Everything is different. Subframe, engine , trans, rear diff, ecu, wiring. Body and much of the interior are similar or the same.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
hybrid gti 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 12:46 AM   #3
wyowrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
00 Toyota MR-S
Black

Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2024, 12:49 AM   #4
hybrid gti 2
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

What are you working with and trying to do?

Old 05-30-2024, 03:50 PM   #5
wyowrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
00 Toyota MR-S
Black

I'm actually looking for options for a donor car (ECU,tranny, shafts, hubs, etc) for swapping an ej205 into an 88 subaru DL 3 door. There was a full 2003 2.5 rs for $500 (no engine) and made me think about the 2.5 running gear and ECU.
Old 06-30-2024, 10:21 PM   #6
Yodes
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 478591
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5I
Newport Blue Pearl

engines and trans all mount to each other. match your rear diff to your tranny searching the trans charts is a good start. 06/07 wrx and impreza are hard to find info on. starter will be for that transmission. not sure if its 04/05/06 N/a ecu having tuning capabilities with romraider and support bolt on forced induction to a point. engine subframe isn't different there is just a notch for the up-pipe to turbo. you can purchase engines and harness's...there is also Iwire i suggest checking them out or contacting someone with more experience in the electrical/conversions. Harness merge would be the definition of what you want to do...but all 02-07 impreza/wrx suspension/driveline brakes and transmissions with matching rear diffs and axles all swap over. As well as some of the 5/6 speed stuff can be mismatched, and engine blocks and heads can be mismatched and machine to match. wagon rear struts offer more camber and the famous 4/2 piston subaru front brakes swap from like 1993-2023 rotor sizes change and the rears change in 08 and again in 2015....peace
Yodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 04:27 AM   #7
hybrid gti 2
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

Wow the subframe is the same but has a notch. Yeah that's why it has a different part number.

Rs 5 speed will have 4.11 gears with a push style clutch. About as strong as 02 wrx "AA" 5 speed, pull style clutch. Or should I say about just as whimpy gears. Yes it can be used but don't expect it to hold up.

Doing this swap is generally not worth doing. Often a wrx of the same years isn't that much more expensive. So ej205 $1000 from jdm importer, usdm parts for smog and such. Timing kit, iwire harness. Basically several thousand at the minimum. So unless your shell is super clean or something, often not worth doing in many people's opinion. Has it been done? For sure. At minimum I'd say $2500 to $3000 if everything goes well.