Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday May 12, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
TWRX724
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 515659
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2018 wrx
DGM

Default Someone Please Hep Me Diagnose This Noise

2018 Wrx started ticking, canít upload to NASIOC. I can email you the video if you can help
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
TWRX724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #2
PyroguyFTW
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 473226
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited

Default

Put it up on youtube and share the link. It should auto-embed. Also, how many miles, what is done to the car, what situation(s)/change(s) occurred before the ticking started?
PyroguyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:05 PM   #3
TWRX724
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 515659
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2018 wrx
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroguyFTW View Post
Put it up on youtube and share the link. It should auto-embed. Also, how many miles, what is done to the car, what situation(s)/change(s) occurred before the ticking started?


33k on the car, car started acting weird after last gas fill up using Sunoco 93(first time using Sunoco)since the car stumbled on cold start and almost felt like a fuel/boost cut in 1st. Started it normal today drove it and parked it. Came out 20 minutes later and started ticking on warm start. Started ticking faster throughout the rev range. I took it home and wait an hour or so started it up to consistent ticking. I drove it over to my dealership and dropped it off to get it checked tomorrow morning
TWRX724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
PyroguyFTW
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 473226
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited

Default

Almost sounds like an issue with the HPFP. Especially if it started almost immediately after new gas.
PyroguyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #5
noobultimatum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroguyFTW View Post
Almost sounds like an issue with the HPFP. Especially if it started almost immediately after new gas.
This would also be my best guess. But it is super strange if it is the case on such a new/low-mile car.
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:49 PM   #6
TWRX724
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 515659
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2018 wrx
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
This would also be my best guess. But it is super strange if it is the case on such a new/low-mile car.


Dealership has pulled the engine and is now tearing it down to see what has caused the noise. They are almost certain itís rod knock. Very disappointed since I was planning on trading the car in the today. The service manager says they have to get a regional Subaru tech(master tech?) to come check everything and make sure it wasnít tuned or my fault the engine started knocking before making it a warranty claim and getting a new engine put in. Lucky for me I never got to getting an accessport and never beat on it so I should be all set and covered on warranty. Itís all a waiting game now
TWRX724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:29 AM   #7
SixteenRexs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 523796
Join Date: Apr 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRX724 View Post
Dealership has pulled the engine and is now tearing it down to see what has caused the noise. They are almost certain itís rod knock. Very disappointed since I was planning on trading the car in the today. The service manager says they have to get a regional Subaru tech(master tech?) to come check everything and make sure it wasnít tuned or my fault the engine started knocking before making it a warranty claim and getting a new engine put in. Lucky for me I never got to getting an accessport and never beat on it so I should be all set and covered on warranty. Itís all a waiting game now


Iíd avoid the dealer next time. They took my subi in for a ďturbo replacementĒ and when I got it back it wasnít buttoned back up. I took it back and they still didnít get everything put back on right. Weeks later a noise is pestering me during idle so took it back to same dealer. They unplugged my dash cam then they said I needed a new $2000 clutch. My gut told me my exhaust wasnít bolted back to my car well so I took it to a local mechanic and lifted the car and there was my loose exhaust missing bolts. Clutch perfect healthy. Never trust a dealer and never trust a single mechanic. Pay another $100 for a second opinion.
SixteenRexs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:10 AM   #8
moral hazard
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323759
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Canberra Australia
Vehicle:
2010 legacy GT
Black

Default

I think in this case he's claiming the warranty so that's why it's at the dealer. But I agree with the general advise.
moral hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #9
noobultimatum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

Considering the horror story from sixteenrexs...

If you plan on trading in, do it that same day when they give you the car back. I had bad experience with dealer work as well. They rounded my oil plug after i said no oil change. Left my oil cap loose as a goose -- was probably on 1 thread. Said my brakes were due for changing upon "inspection"... I had changed them myself the weekend prior. Put metal windshield wiper arms directly on paint (in a careless fashion too. like...bruh. this aint your car).

Avoid the BS and just tell dude to process the trade in for whatever you want with out taking the car out of the dealer. If they find anything wrong during "inspection"...well lmao it's their fault and you have proof.
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:56 AM   #10
TWRX724
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 515659
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2018 wrx
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
Considering the horror story from sixteenrexs...

If you plan on trading in, do it that same day when they give you the car back. I had bad experience with dealer work as well. They rounded my oil plug after i said no oil change. Left my oil cap loose as a goose -- was probably on 1 thread. Said my brakes were due for changing upon "inspection"... I had changed them myself the weekend prior. Put metal windshield wiper arms directly on paint (in a careless fashion too. like...bruh. this aint your car).

Avoid the BS and just tell dude to process the trade in for whatever you want with out taking the car out of the dealer. If they find anything wrong during "inspection"...well lmao it's their fault and you have proof.


Update: turbo is shot according to dealership and they diagnosed the engine failure due to the rod bearings. Service department is saying 15k if the warranty doesnít cover it. Iím planning on going straight to Subaru of America if they try to void the warranty saying itís my fault the engine blew. Never tuned and always let oil warm to 180-210 before doing any sort of aggressive driving. If they do void the warranty would Subaru of America be my best shot?
TWRX724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #11
noobultimatum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRX724 View Post
Update: turbo is shot according to dealership and they diagnosed the engine failure due to the rod bearings. Service department is saying 15k if the warranty doesnít cover it. Iím planning on going straight to Subaru of America if they try to void the warranty saying itís my fault the engine blew. Never tuned and always let oil warm to 180-210 before doing any sort of aggressive driving. If they do void the warranty would Subaru of America be my best shot?
You are with in the warranty period of 36k miles. IF they deny, they have to explain why and how it is your fault. But, yes... you'd be playing the waiting game with SoA at that point to get covered.

I do not see any possible reason to void warranty work in your case. No tune. No mods. Where you doing your own oil changes? They would probably want proof of appropriate oil used, quantity of oil used and filter changes. If ou did dealer oil changes... then you already have that paper work in their own system.
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #12
TWRX724
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 515659
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2018 wrx
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
You are with in the warranty period of 36k miles. IF they deny, they have to explain why and how it is your fault. But, yes... you'd be playing the waiting game with SoA at that point to get covered.



I do not see any possible reason to void warranty work in your case. No tune. No mods. Where you doing your own oil changes? They would probably want proof of appropriate oil used, quantity of oil used and filter changes. If ou did dealer oil changes... then you already have that paper work in their own system.


Iíve had the car just barely 6 months and was planning on doing an oil change in the near future. I have only put 2k miles on the car so Iím finding it highly unlikely itís my fault if driver error is the cause of some sort. And I bought it from the same dealer as a CPO with service records from their dealership.
TWRX724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #13
noobultimatum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRX724 View Post
Iíve had the car just barely 6 months and was planning on doing an oil change in the near future. I have only put 2k miles on the car so Iím finding it highly unlikely itís my fault if driver error is the cause of some sort. And I bought it from the same dealer as a CPO with service records from their dealership.
Im sure they are just going through their protocol. You'll be fine.
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:22 PM   #14
NicMonte
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 479655
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Omaha Ne
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza wrx
Black

Default Someone Please Hep Me Diagnose This Noise

What if, hypothetically, the previous owner had modified the car and reset back to stock? ecu etc..

Would that in itself void warranty? Iím curious. (Not your situation, but curious)
NicMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:37 AM   #15
vegwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494147
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMonte View Post
What if, hypothetically, the previous owner had modified the car and reset back to stock? ecu etc..

Would that in itself void warranty? Iím curious. (Not your situation, but curious)


Had something like this happen to me. Car was put back together poorly by previous owner and caused issues after 6 months. Service department had a real hard time wanting to honoring the warranty. That was a fun time.

I was naive when I bought the car.
vegwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.