Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Skoloseven
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 190226
Default Remove rust from perrin up pipe up-pipe

Hello

I was doing some work on installing a CAI and I noticed a new part. I am the second owner of the car, with most of the work being done by the first owner. When I bought the car, I was under the impression that there was a stock up pipe or up-pipe (idk), that was gutted leading to the turbo. Low and behold, it's a perrin with the heat shield welded around it to make it look stock. I felt like I uncovered gold !!!! Now I can get the wastegate mounted into the perrin pipe, and probably do the welding myself. I was planning on purchasing a generic ebay one since I'm going to weld it, but since there's a perrin one sitting there I'll just do that.

Anyways, here's a pic of it. It's covered in rust. It was completely covered, and I only got some of it off using aluminal polish. What can I use to get the rest off???

Skoloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
WAYGONE1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 139073
Chapter/Region: VIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoloseven View Post
Hello

I was doing some work on installing a CAI and I noticed a new part. I am the second owner of the car, with most of the work being done by the first owner. When I bought the car, I was under the impression that there was a stock up pipe or up-pipe (idk), that was gutted leading to the turbo. Low and behold, it's a perrin with the heat shield welded around it to make it look stock. I felt like I uncovered gold !!!! Now I can get the wastegate mounted into the perrin pipe, and probably do the welding myself. I was planning on purchasing a generic ebay one since I'm going to weld it, but since there's a perrin one sitting there I'll just do that.

Anyways, here's a pic of it. It's covered in rust. It was completely covered, and I only got some of it off using aluminal polish. What can I use to get the rest off???

If ur a welder u should know to just media blast it and clean it up before you start your project, then just have it re coated, or paint it with something to hold up to the temps, u obviously live in a harsh climate, lots of road salt.
WAYGONE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
Skoloseven
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 190226

Not so much the snow, it's the tropical sea air that's the killer. I was trying to avoid an aggregate based medium like sand blasting, etc. Is there any type of chemical compound I can use with a rag????? Like CLR, calcium,lime, and rust.. CLR

All that white stuff in the back is lime from blasting down sand roads and trail hopping

I'm not a welder, I took agriculture classes in high school and aced the welding section. I have a welder at home that I can use. However, I SUCKED at pipe welding... I kept burning through. I just can't keep pace over a round surface
Skoloseven is offline   Reply With Quote