Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 15, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #76
Scoob1318
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352140
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago, IL
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Default

A lot of it also depends on how low you plan on going, what size tires or how much camber your willing to run. I'm confident 18x9.5 +38 can be used on a DD
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Scoob1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #77
cannon98
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 187775
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: TEXAS
Vehicle:
16 Sti
CWP

Default

fitted them 18x9.5 XT7 38 on 235/40/18 (stretched tire) on stock height and i had PLENTY of clearance, could def go with 265/35/18 and still have room on stock height, i dunno about a spring or coil drop with that setup though
cannon98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #78
ppek
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 15349
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Western Michigan
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Black

Default 2015 WRX BBS SR, Enkei Raijin, or OEM STI BBS?

I have a new WRX on order, and can't stand the OEM rims (sound familiar?). I'm looking at getting a set of 18" BBS SR's, or a set of Enkei Raijin's. I really like the BBS SR's as they look very close to the STI wheels. I contacted Tire Rack, and they said both of these are only available in 18x8.0". Any comments on how 8.0" will handle compared to 8.5" on 245/40-18 tires?

Anyone know if the OEM STi BBS wheels are available yet (part number)?

Thanks for any input. I don't track my car, so just a spirited DD, and want something that looks a little nicer and fills the wheel wells a little more.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...Acct&tab=Sizes

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
ppek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #79
Sinsear
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373908
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppek View Post
I have a new WRX on order, and can't stand the OEM rims (sound familiar?). I'm looking at getting a set of 18" BBS SR's, or a set of Enkei Raijin's. I really like the BBS SR's as they look very close to the STI wheels. I contacted Tire Rack, and they said both of these are only available in 18x8.0". Any comments on how 8.0" will handle compared to 8.5" on 245/40-18 tires?

Anyone know if the OEM STi BBS wheels are available yet (part number)?

Thanks for any input. I don't track my car, so just a spirited DD, and want something that looks a little nicer and fills the wheel wells a little more.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...Acct&tab=Sizes

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
On a given tire, the optimal performance is achieved when using the widest wheel on the accepted wheel range for that tire width. For example, if the range on a tire is 9" to 10" width, the best performance is achieved by mounting it to a 10" wide wheel, at the sacrifice of slight NVH and slightly worse tire wear, as compared to the midpoint (9.5" in this example).
Sinsear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #80
Sinsear
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373908
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon98 View Post
fitted them 18x9.5 XT7 38 on 235/40/18 (stretched tire) on stock height and i had PLENTY of clearance, could def go with 265/35/18 and still have room on stock height, i dunno about a spring or coil drop with that setup though
I was speaking on the grounds of a 1" drop (which I would reckon is the average people drop their cars).

And as I mentioned in my earlier post, I was referring to a tire width of 265.
Sinsear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #81
BuckiWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 294409
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle:
2017 Hoodscoop Ltd
Rock Chip Silica

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppek View Post
Anyone know if the OEM STi BBS wheels are available yet (part number)?
28111VA050 - not sure if gold or silver BBS, though. Dealership might be able to help you out.
BuckiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #82
dickiescoob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 259508
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Smokey Point, WA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
WRB

Default

I have a 15 wrx coming, and like do many others, I will be using the stock wheels for winter.
For summer, I am debating between 18x8.5 with a 245/40 tire vs 17x8 wheel with 235/45. Both at standard offset (55 I think), and I will be leaving the car at stock height and don't want to roll the fenders or anything like that. I won't be doing any autocross or track runs, just the occasional spirited driving.
Are there any pros or cons in going with 18s vs 17s, besides 17s being cheaper?
dickiescoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #83
spyrule
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 222703
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Crystal Grey

Default

So, this is an FYI.

Trackwerks took the time tonight to measure out the wheel spacing to figure out max rim size.

on the 2015 STi (I'm assuming it's identical for WRX) the following has been measured :

18 x 10 +25 was serious mexi-poke,

18 x 10 +35 was poking, and "could" be doable with serious camber (like -4+ front and back), making this almost useless except for show.

18 x 9.5 +35 was perfectly dead-on with fender edge.

On previous gen (2009-2014) the distance of hub to fender edge was 110mm,

On the 2015 gen, the distance drops to 70mm.

So this explains why the sudden drop in what rim sizes will work.

So it seems the max realistic size without going stupid camber would be 18 x 9.5 +30 or so (+35-38 is more useful from a drivability perspective)

If your planning on running 18 x 10's, PLEASE test fit to make sure before you order rims that won't go...
spyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #84
WRXHD
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 384708
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrule View Post
So, this is an FYI.

Trackwerks took the time tonight to measure out the wheel spacing to figure out max rim size.

on the 2015 STi (I'm assuming it's identical for WRX) the following has been measured :

18 x 10 +25 was serious mexi-poke,

18 x 10 +35 was poking, and "could" be doable with serious camber (like -4+ front and back), making this almost useless except for show.

18 x 9.5 +35 was perfectly dead-on with fender edge.

On previous gen (2009-2014) the distance of hub to fender edge was 110mm,

On the 2015 gen, the distance drops to 70mm.

So this explains why the sudden drop in what rim sizes will work.

So it seems the max realistic size without going stupid camber would be 18 x 9.5 +30 or so (+35-38 is more useful from a drivability perspective)

If your planning on running 18 x 10's, PLEASE test fit to make sure before you order rims that won't go...
Great info here. I still wonder if 18 x 9.5 +35 or +38 will clear with a drop.
WRXHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #85
spyrule
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 222703
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Crystal Grey

Default

I suspect it will, but only with a full fender roll. They are partially rolled already, but you'd have to do the full thing.

There seems to be MUCH less room for bigger tires than in the past gens.
spyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #86
geeman789
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330690
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2011 2.5 HB
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiescoob View Post
I have a 15 wrx coming, and like do many others, I will be using the stock wheels for winter. For summer, I am debating between 18x8.5 with a 245/40 tire vs 17x8 wheel with 235/45. Both at standard offset (55 I think), and I will be leaving the car at stock height and don't want to roll the fenders or anything like that. I won't be doing any autocross or track runs, just the occasional spirited driving. Are there any pros or cons in going with 18s vs 17s, besides 17s being cheaper?
Where I live the roads SUCK! Potholes that eat wheels...

17's have 1/2 inch more sidewall height, and that can be the difference between a big thump... or a bent wheel...!

As for handling, both tires are similar in profile and width, and you would have a hard time telling the difference between the two, if identical tire models are used. Not a big enough difference in size to matter much.

And, 17's tend to be lighter, and lighter is good...

But, guaranteed, someone will say 17's are too small and look stupid, you gotta go bigger or you will be so uncool...

Having bent and broken, like, 20 wheels over the years, I would do 17's with a premium tire, like a Michelin Pilot SS. Even with a 17, you still don't have a lot of sidewall protection, relatively speaking...with a 45 series tire.

Your car, your choice, your money... whatever you choose, ENJOY!
geeman789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #87
spyrule
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 222703
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Crystal Grey

Default

The only thing I'd like to have other people confirm is the 70mm from hub face to fender edge (assuming you rolled your fender).

This will help validate the max rim size for this car.

Last edited by spyrule; 04-22-2014 at 11:01 PM.
spyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #88
spyrule
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 222703
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Crystal Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiescoob View Post
I have a 15 wrx coming, and like do many others, I will be using the stock wheels for winter.
For summer, I am debating between 18x8.5 with a 245/40 tire vs 17x8 wheel with 235/45. Both at standard offset (55 I think), and I will be leaving the car at stock height and don't want to roll the fenders or anything like that. I won't be doing any autocross or track runs, just the occasional spirited driving.
Are there any pros or cons in going with 18s vs 17s, besides 17s being cheaper?
He is correct in that the 17's will be lighter, so unsprung weight drops. However, going to a good aftermarket 18 (rpf01's for example) will most likely save you weight over the stock 17s (I beleive the stock 17s are 24Lbs, whereas an 18x9.5 RPF01s are 18.5 Lbs someone correct me if I'm wrong please).

By adding the 1" inch to rim, you can now run 255 rubber with no problem. This increases your contact patch considerably over the 235 width rubber, and that increases your resistance to skid during cornering.
Add some slightly higher negative camber (from the stock -1 to say -2 to -2.5) and you'll turn like your on rails.

So there is some benefit of going to 18s over the 17s, but it comes down to priority.

As for pot-holes, well that's much more of a canadian/cold climate problem, and as long as your paying attention and avoid those big wholes, you should be fine.
spyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #89
WRXHD
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 384708
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrule View Post
The only thing I'd like to have other people confirm is the 70mm from hub to fender edge (assuming you rolled your fender).
When I get my car, I already have plans to use one of these. I'll try and confirm afterwards.

WRXHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #90
spyrule
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 222703
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Crystal Grey

Default

yeah, if you measure the distance properly, rolling shouldn't make that much difference.. 8-10mm at most (in most cases...)
spyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #91
spyrule
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 222703
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Crystal Grey

Default

Sorry, just mean you can measure and get an estimate based on a standard roll where the fender edge will be. (usually 3mm from outer edge of fender).
spyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #92
geeman789
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330690
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2011 2.5 HB
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrule View Post
He is correct in that the 17's will be lighter, so unsprung weight drops. However, going to a good aftermarket 18 (rpf01's for example) will most likely save you weight over the stock 17s (I beleive the stock 17s are 24Lbs, whereas an 18x9.5 RPF01s are 18.5 Lbs someone correct me if I'm wrong please). By adding the 1" inch to rim, you can now run 255 rubber with no problem. This increases your contact patch considerably over the 235 width rubber, and that increases your resistance to skid during cornering. Add some slightly higher negative camber (from the stock -1 to say -2 to -2.5) and you'll turn like your on rails. So there is some benefit of going to 18s over the 17s, but it comes down to priority. As for pot-holes, well that's much more of a canadian/cold climate problem, and as long as your paying attention and avoid those big wholes, you should be fine.
Easier said then done. Don't drive at night... or in the rain, because you can' t see them... One of the local papers has a submit the WORST! pothole picture contest running ...

Anyhow... a 17 vs 18 is going from low profile to a really low profile, both are too short to be really safe on rough roads.

Oh, and an OZ ultraleggara in a 17 x 8 is 17 lbs... an Enkei RPF01 in 17 inch is 15 lbs... but you are losing strength in exchange for less weight with these...
geeman789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #93
spyrule
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 222703
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Crystal Grey

Default

yeah, thats why I only compared the OEM rims to a larger rim. Going to an aftermarket in same size will save you much more weight.
spyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #94
Sinsear
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373908
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrule View Post
However, going to a good aftermarket 18 (rpf01's for example) will most likely save you weight over the stock 17s (I beleive the stock 17s are 24Lbs, whereas an 18x9.5 RPF01s are 18.5 Lbs someone correct me if I'm wrong please).
18x9.5" ET+45 RPF1's weigh 17.4 lb per wheel.
Sinsear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #95
Sinsear
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373908
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Pearl White

Default

Also, one thing I'd like to point out, that most people fail to measure: I chose 18x9.5" ET+45 because lock to lock, the tires never rub inside the fender. If you go ET+30~ish, the tires will rub the inside of the fender during a sharp turn.
Sinsear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #96
MaTeeChay
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 225480
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

I'm looking to get Enkei TS6's in the near future and keep them slightly concave still. I'm going to keep stock suspension setup and really don't want to roll my fenders.. My options are 18x9.5 with a 30 offset, 18x8.5 with either a 50 or a 35 offset, or if I want to stick with 17's it would be a 17x9 in 35 or 45 offset (not sure how that would look). I'd probably go with a 245 tire. What would you go with?
MaTeeChay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #97
dickiescoob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 259508
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Smokey Point, WA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
WRB

Default

Thank you all for helping clarify. It helps a lot :-)
dickiescoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #98
Subiflowlife
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 388047
Join Date: Apr 2014
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
White

Default

Idk if I missed the answer to this, if I did can someone just repost it. But I'm waiting for my 15 wrx and I'm eventually gonna drop it about an inch or so, was there an exact rim size and offset size that would fit with no mods done. I mean if I have to roll the fenders that's not to big of a deal. Ohhh yea forgot to mention I want to put 18's on
Subiflowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #99
WRX8XB
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 45323
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
MY05 Impreza WRX STi
Pastelito Racing & SFSOC

Default

Subscribed to follow.

If anyone has some test fit photos/data they'd like to share I'd be happy to publish something on the blog.

Looking forward to what everyone tries to run.

Anyone with the '15 willing to measure how much inboard clearance they have on the stock setup? We may have lost some outboard clearance but if we gained more inboard we may still be able to get away with some big tires.

-T3h_Clap
WRX8XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #100
spyrule
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 222703
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Crystal Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subiflowlife View Post
Idk if I missed the answer to this, if I did can someone just repost it. But I'm waiting for my 15 wrx and I'm eventually gonna drop it about an inch or so, was there an exact rim size and offset size that would fit with no mods done. I mean if I have to roll the fenders that's not to big of a deal. Ohhh yea forgot to mention I want to put 18's on

This is kinda the whole point of this thread atm, trying to figure out all the possible sizes that will fit.
spyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.