Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
Kottonwood
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 505652
Default opinions: tranny swap, rebuild, or lower gears

Hey guys, thanks for all the knowledge on this forum.

I am the proud owner of a 2013 wrx. I also live in the mountains, have a ridiculously steep driveway, and use my car for towing my boat trailer.

I've got cash to dump into my car and will be doing a 2-3 inch lift and adding slightly larger tires.

I already have issues with the super tall first gear. I have to smoke my clutch or hard launch pulling out of my driveway and getting out of the boat launch. Im used to driving trucks and really appreciate a slow speed crawl in these situations which it seems this car isn't capable of.

Any input on how best to remedy this would be greatly appreciated.

My thoughts are probably a 4.44 final drive set. Though, this is also my roadtripper so wanna make sure not to sacrifice to much highway performance/ mileage.

Im also thinking possibly a six speed swap.

Pros cons?

Any other ideas? Could I swap a gear in the tranny?

Obviously im trying to be easy on the budget too...

Thanks!
Kottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
Unabomber
👏 Big Ron 👏

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Find and read the post titled Transmission FAQ. Inside are calculators that show how final drive and gear ratios impact you.

There is NO OPTION for low speed fun with highway MPG with a final drive swap. You can't "swap a gear into the tranny" as:

1. You don't know how
2. This isn't a thing

If you want to 4.444 it....do it and know that MPG/highway speed is gonna go down.

No 6 speed swap of any flavor is gonna help.

Cheap way is to get SMALLER diameter tires and/or wheels if they clear the brakes. Small as you can get to affect and lower the final drive, but the speedo will be off, ride will be harsher and your MPG/highway will be impacted.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Kottonwood
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 505652

Thanks for the response!

I didn't figure theres a way to swap a tranny gear. Thought I'd ask anyway... sure would love a lower first gear. When I was a kid my first car was a chevy nova and I was able to change the ratios in the muncie transmission when I rebuilt it.

I've seen that thread. I was looking for real world opinions on whether it's really gonna be worth it.

I had an f150 and and swapped the stock 3.73s for 4.56s the change was noticeable but not radical, I'm wondering if going to 4.44s is really gonna give me a bold difference. I really don't foresee getting a low speed crawl out of such a minor gear change. I wish smaller tires were an option, definitely not considering where I live. Probably I'll get the 4.44s, slightly larger tires and still smoke the clutch every once in a while.

Totally not worried about sacrificing a little highway mileage... I'm sure top speed will be just fine as I generally keep it under a buck twenty anyways.

Can't I just have it all?

Ps I do love this car.... just dont wanna be doing a clutch every year or two.

Last edited by Kottonwood; 09-02-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Kottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote