Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 26, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
1967Impala
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 514747
Default Screeching sound at high revs

Hey guys

So I recently got a 2002 WRX, and am planning on putting a VF39 in it.

The car has had services and a lot of work was done before i bought from a dealer.

I don't usually rev the car right out but I noticed if I rev to 6k, no problems the car pulls well, but if I go over that, between 6 - 7k, the car starts to feel like it loses power and makes a screeching sound.

I am a bit worried as I don't want to spend a few grand on putting a new turbo, downpipe etc if something is wrong. I have had car for about 7 months, and car drives like a dream I did not really notice this as I did not thrash it, but I took it for a bit of a harder drive to see what it was made of, and just noticed this.

Is that just because of the TD04 limitation? Is the screeching something to worry about in terms of engine?

Thanks
1967Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

" Screeching " can be any number of things so it's hard to say.
- Does it still screech during normal driving?

You are going to lose power in the 6K - 7K rev range because you are out of the power band for the car. Presuming you have a standard issue EJ205 in the car, the redline on that engine is just over 7K, ie; 7200 RPM. Keep that up on an old motor and you will blow it up in short order.

The TD04 isn't designed to make big power. It's designed for street use so it will be quick on the bottom end but slow on the top end.

Some things to check just to get you started:
- ALL belts, they me be loose or slipping, especially at the higher rev range
- Belt tensioner, could be failing
- AC compressor, a build-up of rust is normal around/in the compressor wheels/bearings and you need to blow all that powdered rust out w/compressed air.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:06 AM   #3
1967Impala
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 514747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
" Screeching " can be any number of things so it's hard to say.
- Does it still screech during normal driving?

You are going to lose power in the 6K - 7K rev range because you are out of the power band for the car. Presuming you have a standard issue EJ205 in the car, the redline on that engine is just over 7K, ie; 7200 RPM. Keep that up on an old motor and you will blow it up in short order.

The TD04 isn't designed to make big power. It's designed for street use so it will be quick on the bottom end but slow on the top end.

Some things to check just to get you started:
- ALL belts, they me be loose or slipping, especially at the higher rev range
- Belt tensioner, could be failing
- AC compressor, a build-up of rust is normal around/in the compressor wheels/bearings and you need to blow all that powdered rust out w/compressed air.
Ah ok that makes me feel a bit better. I will double check on everything else but it does not screech at normal driving.

Yeah it is a stock EJ205 with 125,000 miles on it.

I don't usually rev it, but I went out yesterday and did a few 1st - 5th pulls redlining to test it and the sound isn't as bad as I thought. It is there, but not that bad.

Also, you mentioning redlining it will blow up an old motor. I usually rev to 5 - 5.5k and NO MORE.

Will it generally be fine revving it to 6k+ every so often on an old motor.

You got me a bit worried as I usually never rev it that high and I could hear the car really working and that drop in power, and I just hope that me going out and working the car like up to 7k revs will not have caused any damage to the engine.

When I replace with VF39, I assume it will rev and pull much better in the 6 - 7k range.

Last edited by 1967Impala; 05-31-2020 at 12:21 AM.
1967Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:48 AM   #4
Sour_K
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 370021
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatchback
WRB

In the most respectful way possible, you bought a performance car that's 18 years old. It's probably been beaten on more than a handful of times. I really doubt you revving it out once or twice is any worse than what it's been through in its life already. Be smart, do preventative maintenance, and if you're really worried you did something, compression tests aren't expensive and will tell you if your motor is hurting. Good luck, hope your bug eye lasts, mine's a drift car, so when I eventually blow it up I'll have some goodies up here for sale lol.
Sour_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Revving the motor that high ONCE IN A WHILE will typically not hurt anything.

You are making it sound like you want the car to live in the 6K to 7K rev range. If that's what you want, you have the wrong motor in that car.

The VF39, while having more performance over the TD04, is still a street turbo and not generally meant to run in the higher rev range because that is not where it's best attributes are.

While still very good on the bottom end, the VF39 will give more power / punch in the mid rev range.

What is it you actually want this car to do?
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote