Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #351
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: your spreads like plague
Vehicle:
.... wordy and so
****ing hard to read

Default

Well goddam it. Supra it is.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #352
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin View Post
Yeah there's many a thread on the GM forums about leaky magrides. My brother's are starting to go on his 17 ZL1 at 30k miles and my rears are going out at 34k. They said leave it in "Sport" or the middle setting and you'll get lots of life out of them. Nope. Replacements are $350 per corner IF you can find them, and GM has managed to make these awesome little PITA harnesses that you almost have to destroy to connect the magride to the car.

If you go coilovers (which I guess I'll have to here soon), you'll need the magride deletes which run $400+ to fool the car's computer into thinking you have it still or you get all kinds of neat CELs and it'll default to "Touring" affecting the steering, brakes, bi-modal exhaust etc. Yay GM quality.

So a 1LT Z51 C8 is just a few $k more than a ZL1 1LE..hmm..
How much is an extended warranty? Id probably just opt for an extended warranty so if the suspension goes out, drive it in for replacement. Id have to imagine a good set of street coil overs for this car will run $4k plus. I guess you could always cheap out but that would be a shame.
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #353
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1999 OBS Camo Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin View Post
Replacements are $350 per corner IF you can find them
That price isn't bad. Bilstein shocks are usually $1000+ for a set.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #354
Yoo Shin
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 87327
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Bama
Vehicle:
2017 Heron White SS
OG Thread Killa

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
Well goddam it. Supra it is.
Which reminds me, there's a shop in Texas that's already setting manual conversions for the Supra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
How much is an extended warranty? Id probably just opt for an extended warranty so if the suspension goes out, drive it in for replacement. Id have to imagine a good set of street coil overs for this car will run $4k plus. I guess you could always cheap out but that would be a shame.
Mine are not covered by the warranty because it's on springs and my brother was told they wouldn't replace them under warranty because he has mods, even though they're all power mods and none on the suspension. Tons of GM threads with all kinds of excuses used by GM on why they won't cover mag ride failures. A common one is the "seeping" from the struts is normal and not considered faulty or a failure.

All that being said, I won't mind going to coilovers eventually, I'll just find a good setting for them that gives me the same feel as the "Sport" setting which I'm in 80% of the time. Touring is way soft, but it closes the mufflers which is nice I don't want to be loud af, and the Track setting is just ridiculously hard and stiff for the street.

I'd like to see a wing delete on the C8 or maybe something like what's on the Camaro SS 1LE or C7 Z with a large lip like rear spoiler.
Yoo Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #355
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
18 golf arrrr!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin View Post
Yeah there's many a thread on the GM forums about leaky magrides. My brother's are starting to go on his 17 ZL1 at 30k miles and my rears are going out at 34k. They said leave it in "Sport" or the middle setting and you'll get lots of life out of them. Nope. Replacements are $350 per corner IF you can find them, and GM has managed to make these awesome little PITA harnesses that you almost have to destroy to connect the magride to the car.

If you go coilovers (which I guess I'll have to here soon), you'll need the magride deletes which run $400+ to fool the car's computer into thinking you have it still or you get all kinds of neat CELs and it'll default to "Touring" affecting the steering, brakes, bi-modal exhaust etc. Yay GM quality.

So a 1LT Z51 C8 is just a few $k more than a ZL1 1LE..hmm..
magride fluid is abrasive, its inevitable that they will leak.
n2oiroc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #356
BeepBoop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496462
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: MN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oiroc View Post
magride fluid is abrasive, its inevitable that they will leak.
Sounds like more reason to go with good o'l fashioned stuff.
Cheaper? Check.
Easier to do maintenance? Check.
Less complicated? Check.
Less electronic garbo? Check.
More aftermarket options? Check.
Longer life? Check.

So you miss out on the ease of tuning your suspension at the twist of a knob (or in this case changing a setting via infotainment)? Big deal. Not worth the trade-off IMO.

For me to buy into something tech-wise, it has to be an across the board improvement. Not "Oh yeah, it's more expensive now... and it is also more expensive long-term!"
BeepBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #357
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: your spreads like plague
Vehicle:
.... wordy and so
****ing hard to read

Default

My concern with with the standard suspension is lack of tuning. All R&D thrown into the magna ride and chassis setup tuned with it etc. Completely re-imagined Vette with bits in new places should concern anyone interested in one.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #358
Keshav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1654
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Vehicle:
2019 GoCycle GX
MV Agusta Brutale S

Default

I'm fairly certain that the engineers on the Corvette project are better at picking springs and dampers for this car than Trevor at GoFasturd Speed Shop.
Keshav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #359
BeepBoop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496462
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: MN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
I'm fairly certain that the engineers on the Corvette project are better at picking springs and dampers for this car than Trevor at GoFasturd Speed Shop.
I'm fairly certain that the engineers of the corvette also have a standard of NVH that is somewhere above what an actual racecar is, let alone what a lot of "hard-core" boy racers can stomach as far as ride height and stiffness. They still have to cater to their prime demographic of Grandpa Flatass, after all.

Also, have you seen the engineering work a lot of aftermarket parts providers put in?
BeepBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #360
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: your spreads like plague
Vehicle:
.... wordy and so
****ing hard to read

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
I'm fairly certain that the engineers on the Corvette project are better at picking springs and dampers for this car than Trevor at GoFasturd Speed Shop.
Trev's bro has an STI...
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:12 AM   #361
PovertySpec
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 437188
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
06 TR Stage 2
17 SS 1LE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
Who would opt for a non magna ride car? I would not. So $75k it is.
I would... base model Z51 with the cloth race buckets!

PovertySpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:31 AM   #362
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI/SE Mass
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
I'm fairly certain that the engineers on the Corvette project are better at picking springs and dampers for this car than Trevor at GoFasturd Speed Shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepBoop View Post
I'm fairly certain that the engineers of the corvette also have a standard of NVH that is somewhere above what an actual racecar is, let alone what a lot of "hard-core" boy racers can stomach as far as ride height and stiffness. They still have to cater to their prime demographic of Grandpa Flatass, after all.

Also, have you seen the engineering work a lot of aftermarket parts providers put in?
I know they build these cars in Bowling Green, but quite a few make it up to Detroit/Warren. How many of you have driven near/around the surface roads around the GM Tech Center in Warren MI? I have, many times. Mound, Van Dyke and all the other roads... SUCK. S-U-C-K. I swear they pay the towns/cities to NOT resurface them (although they have been) so they can do testing in a real world environment.

I'm sure they've done a good job also on the base suspension, which I think will be the suspension of choice for those that track the car (so it can be replaced much more easily with something more suited to on-track driving, higher spring rates/valving, etc...) The Magneride is excellent, yes. But track cars usually use something a bit more focused and switch out depending on the track.

--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #363
Keshav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1654
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Vehicle:
2019 GoCycle GX
MV Agusta Brutale S

Default

Yep. The real race suspensions will make the car faster on the track they are tuned for. They're also more expensive than the stuff Trevor will sell you that just makes the car ride low and stiff.
Keshav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #364
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI/SE Mass
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
Yep. The real race suspensions will make the car faster on the track they are tuned for. They're also more expensive than the stuff Trevor will sell you that just makes the car ride low and stiff.
I don't think Trevor is there anymore...

https://local.theonion.com/sick-boy-...lik-1837373360
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #365
aschen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30733
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston texas
Vehicle:
2007 tiny car
striped

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovertySpec View Post
I would... base model Z51 with the cloth race buckets!
Appropriate user name is appropriate


Samies here I don't think I would configure Magnaride either...........front axle lift would be nice as an option on base trim though.
aschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:30 PM   #366
Hondaslayer
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
Appropriate user name is appropriate


Samies here I don't think I would configure Magnaride either...........front axle lift would be nice as an option on base trim though.
Actually......


I wanted the performance cloth because I find leather a bit slippy under cornering.



Buuuttttt I am a skinny ****.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #367
Yoo Shin
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 87327
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Bama
Vehicle:
2017 Heron White SS
OG Thread Killa

Default

Meh I'd still get it with magride even if it craps out eventually. Like any of the performance Chevys with it, it's tied into other performance aspects of the car that make it fun, like the steering, throttle, braking, and of course handling.

I'm really thinking that this C8 and the new Zupra (that damn car is growing on me more and more), will be game changers and challenge how those who can afford cars 2-3x more perceive a sports car, much like the original NSX. I can't wait to see what a Z06 will be like or whatever higher end Supra is planned.
Yoo Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #368
Keshav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1654
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Vehicle:
2019 GoCycle GX
MV Agusta Brutale S

Default

This does have NSX potential with the advantage of it being a domestic; pricing and attainability are much better.
Keshav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:46 AM   #369
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default

RUMOR MILL: 800-HP FLAT-PLANE TURBO V8 HEADED FOR THE CORVETTE Z06 OR ZR1?


Quote:
2020 Chevy Corvette C8 engine rumors are swirling


The most exciting time in a new Corvettes life is when its first born. At that time, all we know are the facts about the base model (2020 C8 Chevy Corvette, 495 hp, dual-clutch transmission, rear-wheel drive, $60,000), while its future is unscripted. That leads to endless rumors, speculation and innuendo, all of which we thoroughly enjoy.

Over the weekend, much of the talk was from Motor Trend, regarding a twin-turbocharged, flat-plane crank V8 making around 800 hp for the new Corvette Z06.

Muscle Cars and Trucks says there will be a DOHC V8 with a pair of turbochargers, and it will make around 800 hp, but it will NOT be for the Z06.

Instead, it will be the ZR1. The Z06 will get a naturally aspirated engine because, according to Muscle Cars and Trucks, die-hard enthusiasts werent too thrilled when the C7 Z06 featured a supercharger. MC&T also says the Z06 will make around 600 hp, which is a little surprising considering the most recent Z06 delivered 650 hp. Would Chevy take a step back? We doubt it.
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #370
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2018 Leg / Ridgeline
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin View Post
Meh I'd still get it with magride even if it craps out eventually. Like any of the performance Chevys with it, it's tied into other performance aspects of the car that make it fun, like the steering, throttle, braking, and of course handling.

I'm really thinking that this C8 and the new Zupra (that damn car is growing on me more and more), will be game changers and challenge how those who can afford cars 2-3x more perceive a sports car, much like the original NSX. I can't wait to see what a Z06 will be like or whatever higher end Supra is planned.
totally agree bud. The base C8 is the NSX acura should have built. chevy one upped Honda on this one. Absolutely Nobody wanted that hybrid junk on the new NSX. They wanted a drivers car. We will have to see, but Chevy may have just built the affordable (and I use that term loosely) drivers car for enthusiasts with a normal pocket book.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #371
White out
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46277
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
** LP640
Viper GTS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
How many of you have driven near/around the surface roads around the GM Tech Center in Warren MI? I have, many times. Mound, Van Dyke and all the other roads... SUCK. S-U-C-K. I swear they pay the towns/cities to NOT resurface them (although they have been) so they can do testing in a real world environment.

--kC
Oh god. Nightmares of taco wheels still haunt me. Sections of missing road between concrete slabs that were laid down in the 70's. Missing sections of bridges. 6"+ deep pot holes. Patchwork on top of patchwork on top of patchwork for 1000ft+. Good ole' Metro Detroit.
White out is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.