Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 14, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-27-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
apexone4697
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 336566
Default smoke from exhaust

09 wrx with 130xxx miles. stock motor and internals. just replaced oem turbo with fp hta 71 4000 miles ago. also had timing svc done last 2000 miles. Blue smoke from exhaust, smells oily. did not burn much oil since turbo swap (did oil same time) was on low mark of dipstick, topped it off. rotella t6. Dosent smoke all the time, somewhat inconsistent. leakdown test scheduled this fri. i have a crawford v2 aos, when i changed turbo, i had to extend the drain from aos that goes into block the pcv was. The new style turbo and hose is on top of where the wye connector is on top of block. That hose is backgraded a bit where it goes around the turbo hose from intercooler. I have also never cleaned the aos whatsoever. wondering if the aos and drain has something to do with it?
apexone4697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
apexone4697
Scooby Newbie

Default Need pcv with bigger turbo?

Shop said motor is good, based on symptoms sounds like turbo is getting oil past the bearing. I havent pulled the dp yet to check for shaft play, but called forced performance first. They said its because i removed the pcv with the aos i have. Does this make any sense to anyone? Ive never read or heard of people having issues with removing the pcv.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

If the shop stated the motor is fine and it's the way you installed the AOS, next thing to do is contact Crawford directly and talk to them.

Explain the issue and what the shop told you. See what they say.
Samurai Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #4
etzimmer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507387
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX TR
World Rally Blue

Contacting Crawford is best way to go for sure.
etzimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
apexone4697
Scooby Newbie

Crawford is no help, i called and they had no advice or solution. They only said they havent heard of my problem happening with thier aos. Force performance who makes turbo said it could be due to removing the pcv with the aos. They said high crankcase pressure. I removed crawford aos, installed the iag street aos. This one removes oem pcv, but has an aftermarket one connected like stock. Also has individual breathers for each head to can. Looks like a way better design.
Start car, smokes after warming up and running for 15 mins. Next thing i guess is to pull downpipe and check for shaft play. A shop that worked on car after i put turbo on changed the location of turbo oil feed. With the fp turbo, they have you connect off ps avcs with a different banjo bolt and then to turbo, you cap the oem feed close to turbo. The shop reversed it like oem. They used adapter off oem flare location to fp turbo feed line. Fp said they dont know if that would cause issue. Anyone care to chime in on journal bearing oiling? Any difference in feed location?