Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-05-2002, 03:50 PM   #1
North Ursalia
Miss You Mom
Oct 1940 - Feb 2008

Super Moderator

Member#: 809
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS, '14 For
92 5MT SVX

Default Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Suspension

I had a discussion with Nick a few weeks back, and in an effort to consolidate the troubles people are having with their cars, which will in turn make the issues more apparent and/or harder to ignore (not to mention making this forum neater ) we decided to make sticky threads where people can report their troubles and/or denied warranty stories by problem area, much akin to my http://www.deniedmywarranty.org website, only with a much larger audience. SOA knows about I-Club.com and Deniedmywarranty.org, but the lack of coordination of trouble reports here on I-club (of course it's going to happen... a 'net forum is a stream-of-consciousness kind of thing) and the lack of the sheer number of them on the Deniedmywarranty.org site makes the actual impact far less than what it could be. We decided to utilize these stickied threads to organize and emphasize what is going wrong. I want to emphasize that these threads are not solely for Impreza WRX owners, nor just Impreza owners. We want to hear from everyone in these threads who is having issues. You can use these stickied threads to report warranty denials or simply to say that something's broken that you didn't submit for warranty repair. To keep these threads neat, there will be a standard format used, as found below (I will place an example reply below this post):

Name:

Make:

Mileage:

Time Out Of Use:

Problem And Likely Cause:

Modifications:

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No):

Reason Given For Denial:

Your Story:

Replies deviating from this format will be deleted, no questions asked... sorry, but this has to remain neat and easy to read to be effective. In addition, please do not use this as a chance to bitch about a dealership or SOA- keep it professional and to-the-point, and this will help us all out in the long run .

Brian
http://www.northursalia.com
http://www.imprezamods.com
http://www.scoobymods.com
http://www.deniedmywarranty.org
North Ursalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2002, 03:51 PM   #2
North Ursalia
Miss You Mom
Oct 1940 - Feb 2008

Super Moderator

Member#: 809
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS, '14 For
92 5MT SVX

Name: Ramana Lagemann

Make: 2002 Impreza WRX

Mileage: 100's of stage miles

Time Out Of Use: 1 week

Problem And Likely Cause: Broke right rear suspension hitting a rock

Modifications: Mods that could have contributed to the issue (ie: my turbo blew and I have aftermarket boost control). Please be honest- it helps nobody to say "it just happened."

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Fill in only if above was "yes" and you were denied warranty coverage

Your Story: I'm a driver for Rally Team USA... it goes without saying
North Ursalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:10 PM   #3
LRSWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 28303
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
black

Dealing with Subaru of Gwinnett.....

Name: Lee Scheeler

Make: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon

Mileage: 16,800

Time Out Of Use: 2 weeks and counting

Problem And Likely Cause: Rear track of my car matches sedan's track and is 3/4 of an inch WIDER than wagons of same model year. 215/45/17 tires on 17" 48 ET wheels rub in the rear. Under track/hard use even 205/55/16 tires rub slightly on stock wheels.

Modifications: Stainless steel brake lines all 4 corners (goodridge), Hawk HP+ brake pads up front on stock calipers/rotors, H&R springs (rest of suspension 100% stock), both stock tires/wheels and 17x7 48 ET wheels.

Reason Given For Denial: Suspension had been modified at any time (even when stock springs were replaced) rubbing even with stock tires is "my problem"

Your Story: Put some very basic mods on the car, noticed that the wheels/tires rub in the rear. With either the H&R's (also make Prodrive springs) or bone stock suspension the track in the rear of the vehicle is 3/4 inch wider than other wagons. This puts the outside of the wheel/tire too close to the fenders (acres of airspace inside). With 17x7 48 ET wheels on 215/45/17 tires there is STILL rubbing even with stock suspension and lowered via H&R's. The problem does not seem to be the height given that under very hard cornering load there is still contact on stock springs. The tires/wheels are too far "out" and hence contact the fender under high lateral load. I was told by Subaru of Gwinnett that since the suspension had been modified at any point, in any way, even when returned to stock its completely void. The track in the rear measures WIDER on my wagon than all other wagons, yet identical to sedans. How the brakes or springs could alter that I do not understand.

Lee
LRSWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:35 AM   #4
Subaru Gwinnett
Vendor

Member#: 23050

It's Subaru of Gwinnett's stance that the springs you put on the car were too low in the rear. (H&R's) It was requested that Lee put his stock springs back on, and let us re-investigate the issue. He has not returned.

The original set of measurements on track width was on a 2002 vs. 2003 model year, the final measurements were taken vs. another 2002 model year car. (4/01) production date.

AT NO TIME was it stated that the warranty was voided.

I have also PM'd Lee on the subject of "wheel rubbing". A quick search turned up lots of helpful information.

one thread of note is this one.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...=wheel+rubbing

I hope this issue can be resolved, Lee's (and everyone's) business is very important to us.

steve_d
subaru of gwinnett
Subaru Gwinnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:55 PM   #5
LRSWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
black

Steve,
As stated before, even with the stock springs it still rubs. Its been two weekend days and two week days since I picked up the wagon. Given the weekend, everyone's work schedules, and investigating this further its hardly been a "I've not come back" issue. The mercedes shop (MB Autowerks) where I work is "covered up" busy at the moment, paying some other party to put the stock springs back in + realign the car is a significant added expense just to make a point that things still rub under load. It might rub a bit "easier" with the H&R's but it still rubs at 100% stock when pushed/loaded. If it would help feel free to talk to the shop foreman/service manager there who is also familiar with the work/situation on my car. Call MB Autowerks 678-482-6553 and ask for Donnie. I would like to get this solved with a minimum of further headache. I've replied to your pm as well. Please give me a call (check pm for number) I'll leave further details to PM and phone conversation.

Regards,
Lee
Old 04-09-2003, 04:26 PM   #6
LRSWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
black

Question Update.....

Update....
Recently returned from Gwinnett Subaru. They remeasured the rear track and it is still wider than any wagon we measured that they had on the lot. It doesn't rub from sitting to low, it rubs due to the track being too wide so that when under load the stock size tires make contact with the fender. It is now clearly a rear track spec issue, not a ride height issue. Even so, spring height only changes the point in the arc of the strut suspension. It is impossible for that to alter the track of the vehicle. Now Steve is asking for 5 working days to look up what could be wrong. I was further told by Steve that it was my responsibility - that I should research this matter. I'll look it up casually with the resources at my disposal but "who works for Subaru?" "who has access to their informational resources?" I've done Mercedes parts and service professionally, the part numbers could be looked up in 2 minutes with resources like electronic parts catalog/dealer database/shop+bodyshop manuals/etc) The numbers/names of regional special techs or factory guys should be on hand. Even if they are not there when you call, at least make a phone call that day/time to start the ball rolling on phone tag. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but working in the auto service industry myself, there are a few areas/issues that don't sit well with me.

Steve???

Regards,
Lee

PS Further specs, background, etc can be verified by Luke from Tirerack. We have spoken at length on this issue and he has been MOST helpful.

EDIT: Talked on the phone to Steve. Apparently the call got routed to service or reception and they were mistaken about Steve's whereabouts. Steve is still there and working on the situation so I apologize on that segment of the issue. Given the oddity and depth of the problem I'll conceed a few days to make heads or tails of this.

Last edited by LRSWRX; 04-09-2003 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:29 PM   #7
Strictly Driven
Vendor

Member#: 38894
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi
Crystal Gray Metallic

Default Rear suspension clunk

This is for my friend.

He bought a new 04 wrx less then 2 months, on the 23 of october. it has 1580 miles on it right now.

His car was great up untll 900 miles when he started noticing a clunk, thud,bang whatever u want to call it when he's braking to a complete stop.

It has been submitted for service, first time they said it was a loose jack in the suspension. (No idea what that is) The next day they told him to pick up the car. He picked it up checked it in the parking lot of the dealer. the problem was still there but it happen only once, the tried several times to try to recreate it and it was gone. He took the car home the following day as hes driving on his lunch break, he makes a 110 - 120 degree left hand turn at 20 miles a hour and the clunk sounds off. then he checks it at the following stop light and the clunk sounds off. after he returns from his lunch break he calls the service dept at the subaru dealer they did the repair at. They said they ordered a part for the car, but didnt inform him the previous day of that. and they said they would call him when it came in. a week and a half later he gets a call, the service rep tells him the part is in and a appointment is scheduled for dec. 17 2003. the car was droped off the day before at night. He gets a call on dec. 17 (today) at about 5 pm saying the car is ready to get picked up. He picks up the car and drives away from the dealer with out checking this time if the clunk is there. Finally he realises he didnt check, at an upcoming stop light he presses the brake suddenly to check if the clunk is still there. It's still there. The service dept replaced the right rear strut, the strut mount, and anther part initialed CP R. (no idea what that is) This is the 2nd time in 2 weeks the car has been in service for the same problem. He is starting to think his car is a lemon, and is extremely pissed off as he got a new car because his old car a Ford Contour was breaking down on him too much. I feel sorry for him as he took my advice to buy the car he really likes my subaru, i virtually had no problems with mine at all, other then it shutting off on in cold wheather when the car was new.

He's going to call SOA if the problem is not fixed the next time, he is taking it to a different dealer, the next time, which is probably within a week.

He said if it ends up being a lemon he will NOT get a subaru ever again. He said the will look into the EVO instead.

Now the lemon law here in illinois is 4 times with in a year for the same problem. OR "30 or more days in service in a year or 12000 miles which ever comes first"

So what is everyone's elses opinion on this issue.
Strictly Driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:10 AM   #8
LRSWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
black

Update on my situation. Car has been converted back to 100% stock save for the hawk pads and SS brake lines. I had to end up selling the brand new wheels/tires I got from Luke. Subaru of Gwinnett never did anything more for me. I tried contacting the regional factory rep or a special tech to look at things but I was told by the subaru people that the dealer has to request him so I'm back at the mercy of the dealership again. I was told that the service manager Marvin would not authorize anymore work to investigative or especially replacement work trying to get the car to fit/function etc. I'm sure not all dealerships are like this but Subaru of Gwinnett has left a very bad taste in my mouth regarding the breed. Especially odd given that Subaru of Gwinnett bills themselves as a "mod friendly dealership" and claims they want to get into performance themselves. BTW, Lisa from parts there has been nothing but helpful and nice. Unfortunately this issues does not fall under her department or influence. Steve gives the appearance of working hard at the issue but nothing has ever been resolved so either its lipservice or his hands are tied from above. In any event, I'm sorry this had to happen with a fun car but dealership conduct just seems to be in bad faith overall.

Lee
Old 01-12-2004, 10:14 PM   #9
Jimi Dee
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 36955
Vehicle:
'03 WRX sedan
WR Blue /Vishnu Stage II

Default Rack and Pionion bushing shift

James Duff

'03 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan

7,700 miles

One day out of use (due to dealer inspection)

Rack and Pinion shifting on bushings--steering wheel won't stay centered due to shift.

No suspension modifications; aftermarket rims and tires (17x7.5 +48 rims and 227/45/17 tires)

Submitted for warranty 1/12/03; denied

Service rep said that the shift (movement) was "normal"

I recently put new Rota Downshift wheels and Goodyear F1's on my '03 WRX (7,700 mi.) and then took it to the best alignment shop in San Diego to get a 4 wheel alignment done. After the test-drive, the tech said he couldn't get the steering wheel centered because the rack and pinion was shifting on the bushings. He then put the car on the rack and showed me the movement as he turned the wheel from side to side. The manager said they've done lots of WRX's and that they haven't seen this. I took the car to a dealer and they told me after an inspection that the movement is normal

Does anyone have any feedback for me? Is it really within factory specs for the rack and pinion to shift so much that the steering wheel is affected?

I'm going to call some other dealers in San Diego County tomorrow for more feedback but if I come to believe that this R&P movement isn't acceptable and I can't get a local dealer to resolve it then what are my options?
Jimi Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:01 PM   #10
Uber Wagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39600
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2008 STi
Dark Grey Metallic

Re: Rack and Pinion Bushings

Subarus are known to have soft steering rack bushings. I put the whiteline aftermarket bushings on my STi and the wheel is much crisper on centering now. For $25 and $75 labor I highly recommend them.

-Nick
Uber Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:16 PM   #11
ZAZstyle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 53140
Legacy Wheel Bearing Problem...

Quote:
Originally posted by ZAZstyle
Name: Z Brown

Make: Subaru Legacy GT Limited 2001

Mileage: 39500

Time Out Of Use: 0, I need my car

Problem And Likely Cause: Squeaking noise from right front wheel and vibration at highway speeds.

Modifications: SPOmotorsports intake, Borla Headers, Brospeed Exhaust, SS brake lines, custom sound system, front and rear strut bars, Bridgestone Turanza LS-H

Reason Given For Denial: SOA rep claims that the mechanic determined this part tampered with...read the story...

Your Story: During normal driving for me, I began to notice an intermittent squeal and unsercure sound from the front tire. Like any concerned enthusiast would do i took it to the dealer since i did not know the severity of it. At highway speeds, vibration could be felt as well as a pull. I found this strange especially since I had an alignment done less than 3000 earlier. I take it to a Subaru dealer ( Casey Subaru, Newport News, VA) and the mechanic takes my car while I talk to the service rep. After about 12 minutes, the mechanic brings my work order back and briefs the rep. They claimed that my entire Hub bearings and Wheel assembly would have to be replaced. How in the heck does a factory sealed hub need to be replaced at 35k? The charge was somewhere in the area of $811 parts and labor. I asked why and the mechanic said that the hub had been tampered with. I found this difficult to believe since the only thing ever done to the wheels were a tire change and the installation of the brakeline which never had anything to do with the assembly. They refused to service it under warranty and said my car wasn't safe to drive...Of course SOA wanted vehicle records and gave an indication that they were taking the mechanics word over mine.

Resolution: Although many don't get this result, please understand that I'm no idiot. I took my car back to the service station that installed my tires in order to receive my tire rotation since It was under Service agreement. The squeaking curtailed slightly and the vibration was lessened. IT was still a problem so I took it to Sears where I got my alignment done. The mechanic there was helpful and carefully took the wheel off the car under my supervision. He then took the wheel off to examine the "damage." He immediately grabbed a large socket that fit the hub and tightened it. He then took a ball pinned hammer and banged a metal piece that the Subaru mechanic said was installed improperly down. PROBLEM SOLVED. I never take a NO less than three times when It comes to my car or anlything I buy. And to think they tried to hit me for $811 before a 60k service.

Name: Z Brown

Make: Subaru Legacy GT Limited 2001

Mileage: 39500

Time Out Of Use: 0, I need my car

Problem And Likely Cause: Squeaking noise from right front wheel and vibration at highway speeds.

Modifications: SPOmotorsports intake, Borla Headers, Brospeed Exhaust, SS brake lines, custom sound system, front and rear strut bars, Bridgestone Turanza LS-H

Reason Given For Denial: SOA rep claims that the mechanic determined this part tampered with...read the story...

Your Story: During normal driving for me, I began to notice an intermittent squeal and unsercure sound from the front tire. Like any concerned enthusiast would do i took it to the dealer since i did not know the severity of it. At highway speeds, vibration could be felt as well as a pull. I found this strange especially since I had an alignment done less than 3000 earlier. I take it to a Subaru dealer ( Casey Subaru, Newport News, VA) and the mechanic takes my car while I talk to the service rep. After about 12 minutes, the mechanic brings my work order back and briefs the rep. They claimed that my entire Hub bearings and Wheel assembly would have to be replaced. How in the heck does a factory sealed hub need to be replaced at 35k? The charge was somewhere in the area of $811 parts and labor. I asked why and the mechanic said that the hub had been tampered with. I found this difficult to believe since the only thing ever done to the wheels were a tire change and the installation of the brakeline which never had anything to do with the assembly. They refused to service it under warranty and said my car wasn't safe to drive...Of course SOA wanted vehicle records and gave an indication that they were taking the mechanics word over mine.

Resolution: Although many don't get this result, please understand that I'm no idiot. I took my car back to the service station that installed my tires in order to receive my tire rotation since It was under Service agreement. The squeaking curtailed slightly and the vibration was lessened. IT was still a problem so I took it to Sears where I got my alignment done. The mechanic there was helpful and carefully took the wheel off the car under my supervision. He then took the wheel off to examine the "damage." He immediately grabbed a large socket that fit the hub and tightened it. He then took a ball pinned hammer and banged a metal piece that the Subaru mechanic said was installed improperly down. PROBLEM SOLVED. I never take a NO less than three times when It comes to my car or anlything I buy. And to think they tried to hit me for $811 before a 60k service.
ZAZstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:19 AM   #12
renichms
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38550
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi
WR Blue

Name: Robert Nicholson
Make: Subaru (Impreza WRX STi)
Mileage: ~30,000
Time Out of Use: Still driveable but must be babied - condition existed for months
Problem and Likely Cause: First problem was defective rear struts, rightfully replaced under warranty. Next problem was destroyed rear endlinks and swaybar bushings and left rear lateral arm. Likely cause would be either defective parts or shoddy service on the car.
Modifications: Nothing in any way related to suspension
Submitted for Warranty Work: Yes
Reason Given for Denial: Endlinks are "wear" items and thus not covered by warranty. Endlinks also said to not be defective when they bend like a pretzel under normal conditions, and since not defective, not covered by warranty.

Your Story: Last week, Madison Square Subaru (Madison Square Chrysler has 1 Subaru technician) put in new rear struts for my STi. All seemed fine on the drive home Thursday. Because Hurricane Ivan was on the way and the weather was getting really bad even this far north, I parked the car so nothing could damage it. The next morning, I had to move the car. I got in, disengaged the parking brake and put it in reverse. When I started moving, I heard an extremely loud BANG! and immediately stopped to see if something was obviously out of place.

Since I don't deal much with suspension and didn't look really closely, I missed the cause. However, I parked the car for the rest of the weekend, except when running an errand, which I kept as short as possible. On a side note, my parents witnessed it going into reverse and making the noise, then also were there to hear me complain about how it shouldn't be making noises anymore.

Today, I took the car to the dealer to be checked out. The technician heard the new noise the suspension made after the bang. He put it on a lift, then came back to tell me that the left endlink was twisted like a pretzel. Somehow, it had gotten underneath the left rear lateral arm. He insisted that I must have gotten the car airborn over the weekend, even though I didn't drive it over the weekend. He wasn't willing to consider any other possible cause.

With this damage, it became necessary to order endlinks and the left rear lateral arm. The swaybar bushings were also shot. Given I didn't even come close to getting airborn, I took a closer look at the damage.

As physics would have it, the only way to position in the manner the technician found it would be for the car to be in reverse when the damage occurred. Either I was driving fast in reverse and got airborn or the spring was overly compressed somehow and when it sprung in a bump, it slammed it straight out like that since there would be almost no weight from the vehicle on it, and since it's mounted up top, that forces the energy downward. Otherwise, they had to have dropped it at least a foot off a lift, backwards. Quite obviously, only one scenario seems probable and only two are possible. Neither possible scenario could be my fault.

I told them I would not be ordering the endlinks or bushings through them (the dealer). I thought it best to go ahead and order the lateral arm. I have also since ordered Perrin endlinks and a Cusco rear swaybar since I was going to eventually replace it and decided it's cheapest and easiest in the longrun to replace it now since it comes with bushings. When both my parents are home, I will be discussing with them ways of recovering the money paid for the lateral arm and have the dealer reimburse me for the total amount that factory parts would have cost (lateral arm, endlinks, bushings, not swaybar - swaybar is choice).

All I can say is don't go there. I let them know I did not do this. Their shoddy work and attempt to cover it is the direct cause. Their parts and labor are covered but they don't want to honor the warranty, even though they eventually will. The warranty on my car is still good too. I've never messed with suspension.

So that's my little write-up. Avoid that dealer. Sales guys for Subaru there are great. The service department sucks a big nut.

Another side note: I've before discovered scuffing on the side of my car where they scraped against something and didn't see fit to tell me. I suspect they're not too competent and also not honest since they won't tell us what they've done. They also burn the crap out of my clutch taking it into the back for work, which I don't appreciate.

My dad called since people don't take me seriously (23 years old and don't look even close to that) and they told him endlinks are a "wear" item and not covered by warranty. They made sure to tell him this was NOT their fault in any way, and that they can't say it wasn't my fault. They also said endlinks that bend like a pretzel under normal conditions are NOT defective and NOT covered by warranty.

I've since contacted them and told them to cancel orders for any parts for me, as I will not be returning to their dealership and will steer friends and family away as well. They wanted to take me for a ride, so to speak, for over $400 when it should have been covered under warranty, so instead they now get nothing.

Quite obviously, endlinks are not wear items and they do not normally twist up on their own, so must be defective. In spite of these facts, the dealership has refused to cover it under warranty, even though it has not been abused or modified. Technician refusing warranty coverage: Bobby D Poole. Service advisor refusing warranty coverage: Les W Williams. Dad spoke to various manager types that backed them up in refusing to honor the warranty.

RN
renichms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:48 PM   #13
yo vanilla
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 71903
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
11 Audi A4 6MTQ
13 Mazda CX-5

this is a link to a thread about a cracked knuckle. it's not my car but i noticed it's not here so here you go:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...1&page=1&pp=25
yo vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:16 AM   #14
aznatama
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 60316
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Name: Wilson

Make: 2004 WRX STi

Mileage: 18000

Time Out Of Use: 1

Problem And Likely Cause: Knocking sound from what sounded like rear left strut

Modifications: None

Reason Given For Denial: N/A

Your Story: noticed clunking from what seemed like the left rear strut. after a month or so, it kept slowly getting worse, but only made sounds at low speeds (<35mph) . finally got around to going to the dealer (South Coast Subaru), where it was checked out and turned out to be the rear right strut, which was replaced under warranty.

However, now there's what sounds like a squeaking/tapping noise comming from the right rear strut tower... I wonder if they just didn't put something back normally? I'm going to take out the rear seats tomorrow and find out.
aznatama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 10:17 AM   #15
Athena
*** Banned ***

Member#: 86226
Vehicle:
1987 Toyota truck
brown

excuse me, wrong number

Last edited by Athena; 05-28-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:41 PM   #16
Christopher Camp
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 59955
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza STi
WR pearl blue

Almost the same happened to me. Replace struts under warnt. then a loud bang and bent stuff under the car. They said I got it airborne. B.S. At least I got them to pay for half of parts and labor...can someone say "recall"
Christopher Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #17
renichms
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi
WR Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Camp
Almost the same happened to me. Replace struts under warnt. then a loud bang and bent stuff under the car. They said I got it airborne. B.S. At least I got them to pay for half of parts and labor...can someone say "recall"
SOA never responded to me. The dealer refused to cover it, so I got stuck with the cost. It works fine now though and I haven't been back to them since, nor do I intend to return ever again. I think (hope, haha) I have convinced a number of local people not to go there either.

RN
Old 09-20-2005, 03:47 AM   #18
Helmut
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 85060
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
0409 STI/ Fozzy XT
WRB/Dark Grey Metallic

I had both of my struts replaced. Of course they did them one at a time. First one in July, secound in Aug. But did them under warrenty and while I waited.
But seams to be fine now.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:56 PM   #19
renichms
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi
WR Blue

My rear struts are out again. This time, no way a dealer is touching my car and no way I am using flimsy stock components.

RN
Old 04-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #20
BOXER28
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 64756

Brian Stephans
2006 subaru sti
colapsed rear strut assembly drivers side
i have about 8000 miles on it
its been out for 2 days
claim denied because i have aftermarket sway bars.
BOXER28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #21
dousbon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 115240
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

I'm waiting on my wagon at the moment.

Any aftermarket suspension modification voids warranty. Is this statement true? In other words, are there allowable modifications?

I'm just looking to use lowering springs to lower the car 1.5-2.0 inches.

Thanks,
Aldous
dousbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #22
UkNuck
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21808
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
02 GroceryGettAr
Nonemore Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by dousbon
I'm waiting on my wagon at the moment.
"waiting on" as in you don't have one yet? FYI this thread is really for people who are in ongoing warranty disputes

Quote:
Any aftermarket suspension modification voids warranty. Is this statement true?
No. Please see the sticky thread at the top of this forum

Quote:
In other words, are there allowable modifications?
All modifications are "allowable" - but SOA may argue that they contribute to the failure of other components

Quote:
I'm just looking to use lowering springs to lower the car 1.5-2.0 inches.
That would certainly be grounds to deny warranty on your struts
UkNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #23
dousbon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 115240
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Thanks for your patience and guidance. I'm finding my way around this site little by little. Yup, wagon is coming in a month or so. Just wanted to prepare myself for it...

Aldous
dousbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #24
UkNuck
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21808
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
02 GroceryGettAr
Nonemore Black

NP - check out the suspension forum - especially this wagon suspension thread before you go too far

In particular you should be aware that lowering too much is likely to be detrimental to your handling and to the life of your struts. Also spring choice for the wagon is tricky if you want to avoid a 'saggy butt' appearance. And lowered wagons don't have the same amount of fender clearance for wider tires as sedans do. Research twice buy once
UkNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #25
renichms
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi
WR Blue

Update on my deal: Still no coverage from the dealer but my coilovers just went in. For starters, we can't prove the dealer ever actually put in any of the parts they claimed to put in under warranty. On top of that, they put in one rear strut wrong (and the other was never taken out). They put thread locker on it so thick, it took hours with a 3/4" air gun for very large trucks, a socket piece with a VERY large, long arm and a pipe to extend it with and then it came loose. Because fixing their work took so long, I was stranded in Huntsville most of the week and came back to find out that my pet turtle (2+ years old) had died simply because I wasn't home.

At this point, parts and labor have probably cost me a solid $2500+. Also, without a doubt, the dealer broke my car and the whole story they came up with me running 60+ mph in reverse, jumping the car while avoiding falling trees in Hurricane Ivan is nothing more than bull**** to cover their own foul up to avoid paying to fix what they did. Because they wanted to play fast and loose, I've now lost thousands and a pet. I'm trying to contact Subaru about it again because this is unacceptable. They shouldn't be a dealer anymore. At the very least, they shouldn't be allowed to service cars because their technician is incompetent.

RN