Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
swamper8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 226989
Default STI running gear in a Legacy GT

Good Morning folks,
I am not having luck searching the archives for information on swapping in STI running gear into a Legacy GT. I searched the "subaru conversion" and "2.5L turbo charged engine" forums for "legacy" and "GT" but didn't find anything substantial. I was pointed to this website from legacygt.com as a place that might have info for me. I know this isn't a "Legacy" site primarily, but I still hope there's good info here. Here are some details so as to not remain too vague:

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT (165K for about $6000, I think a good place to start)

Donor vehicle:
Up for advice, maybe a 2005-2007 WRX STI?

If anyone can point me to a thread or website that can give me some good reading I'd appreciate it. I'm going for a poor man's spec.B here
I can't find one in my area for under 25K

Oh, I realize something like this is not easy, i've been working on cars for 15 years and I'm a electrical engineer so I'm pretty confident I have the skills necessary, maybe not the sanity though
swamper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Jaxx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 W/EJ20K-sold
Subaru-less :(

its already a poor mans's spec b
swap the manifold and turbo ...get an AP and a tune .. done
heads/cams/block are the same already

the 6 speed is even easier ... assuming you can find a matching R160 rear end ...

what exactly are you asking ?

have you been to legacygt.com
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
swamper8
Scooby Newbie

?? I've been to Legacygt.com, I said in my original post that someone from there thought I should come to this website for information.

I'm simply looking for a build thread of someone who's stripped down a STI and put the parts in a Legacy GT. Based on what I've learned from reading I'm sure it's a fairly straight forward bolt-in swap minus the time getting the electrical correct. But having done similar projects I know the value of someone else's experience. If I can get a heads up on some of the more difficult aspects of the swap I can prepare in advance and shave many weeks off the length of the project.

However based on what I've been looking at tonight it seems even wrecked STI's are very expensive. I was hoping to spend 3-4K on one but it seems they are significantly more? If I have to spend 7K+ on a wrecked STI it would be too much, I'd rather rebuild/upgrade a standard GT with high miles but low sticker price.

As far as the 6 speed goes, there are several complete setups on EBAY (tranny/ECU/rear end/half shafts/harness etc) all ready to go but those are 3-4K. For me too much just to get the 6 speed into a legacy.

My plan "B" I guess would be to re-work a GT. I'm working on a budget of about 12K, so I would like to buy a high mileage GT for 6-7K and invest the remainder in a low(er) mileage engine swap, intake/exhaust/turbo/clutch/tune upgrades and most likely completely go through the suspension. With the ~4K-5K I hope to have left over after vehicle purchase I figure I can do alot with it. If I could find a STI for that great, but for some reason I don't think that's going to happen. But if someone thinks different I'm open to input.
Thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
Jaxx
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
The 93 W/EJ20K-sold

your missing the point

THE ENGINE IS THE SAME the 05 lgt has a ej255 which uses the exact same block/heads/cams/injectors as the ej257.. the manifold and TGVs are differnt

as i said above some have swapped the manifold over but thats its .. because the lower end is the SAME

as for a thread where some one swapped the same engine/wireing in to a car ... there isn't one

changing the wiring in a can bus car is swapper suicide, its basically impossible and unnecessary in a 05 lgt

as for the 6 speed .. you won't be able to use the rear r180 unless you have custom rear axles made (the R180 has a different bearing diameter) so you will need to find a 3.9 rear end for a 04-06 or a 3.54 for the 06-07 6speed.. The lgt uses rear hubs that are unique to the 05-09 so swapping over the sti hubs is not an option. many people have done this swap at Legacygt.com

here is a plan for you
lgt aftermarket top mount/front mount (both are produced)
injectors
09 sti trubo
full exhaust
custom tune
~$2500 or less

07 6 speed
3.54 rear diff from 02 wrx
new 6speed clutch
05 legacy 4mt drive shaft
$3000

= 325 whp +6 speed under $6000
Old 05-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
swamper8
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
your missing the point

THE ENGINE IS THE SAME the 05 lgt has a ej255 which uses the exact same block/heads/cams/injectors as the ej257.. the manifold and TGVs are differnt

as i said above some have swapped the manifold over but thats its .. because the lower end is the SAME

as for a thread where some one swapped the same engine/wireing in to a car ... there isn't one

changing the wiring in a can bus car is swapper suicide, its basically impossible and unnecessary in a 05 lgt

as for the 6 speed .. you won't be able to use the rear r180 unless you have custom rear axles made (the R180 has a different bearing diameter) so you will need to find a 3.9 rear end for a 04-06 or a 3.54 for the 06-07 6speed.. The lgt uses rear hubs that are unique to the 05-09 so swapping over the sti hubs is not an option. many people have done this swap at Legacygt.com

here is a plan for you
lgt aftermarket top mount/front mount (both are produced)
injectors
09 sti trubo
full exhaust
custom tune
~$2500 or less

07 6 speed
3.54 rear diff from 02 wrx
new 6speed clutch
05 legacy 4mt drive shaft
$3000

= 325 whp +6 speed under $6000
Thanks for your response. I realize the motors are identical. The only reason why I was thinking complete driveline swap (including motor) from a STI is because my project vehicle will be high mileage. (in order to keep the purchase price down) So I don't think it's a grand plan to upgrade the turbo/intercooler/tune on a high mileage engine, I proably won't see much life out of it. My current interest is a 05' with ~165K on it.

The rest of your plan looks good, I just wonder can I really get the 6-speed into the legacy for $3K? In addition to getting the tranny/rear diff etc I thought there was also a ECU that controls the center diff? Maybe that's only in certain years of STI's, I don't know, I haven't researched it. I've read posts about stand-alone controllers if one were necessary, but that all adds to the cost.

That's good info on the differential/bearings/hubs thank you. I was working on the assumption that all the STI parts would bolt in. I will probably go back to legacygt.com and start looking for threads where people have done just the 6 speed swap and see if I can do it for a reasonable amount. I probably am not looking to go much higher than ~300HP so I might stick with the 5 speed for the time being.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Jaxx
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
The 93 W/EJ20K-sold

meh high mileage mostly likely means freeway mileage
do a leak down/compression and mod away ...and start looking for a 255/257 long block

one thing to add the 05 lgt has a catted up pipe.. Get it outta there ASAP