Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Texas Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-28-2018, 02:06 AM   #1
brandobot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 199552
Vehicle:
2017 STI Limited

Default Growler Motor Labs

Had an IAG block installed by Growler Motor Labs in Feb 2018. Car was then transferred back to California. It began leaking oil less than 500 miles after. After having a shop look at it, they determined the oil was leaking from the oil pan due to an improper oil pan installation.

Multiple e-mails were sent to the owner, Chris who in the beginning seemed helpful in answering a few of my general questions. As soon as I told him that it was the oil pan and that I felt they should cover the cost...and Chris magically vanishes. Multiple e-mails sent over 3 weeks and no reply.

For a shop that's so highly recommended, I really expected more accountability and better customer service. Has anyone had a similar experience or am I the only one?
brandobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
2slofouru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 90539
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

I'm just here to see how many people bum rush you because you are questioning the quality of a Cobb/Growler installation. I didn't realize they were formerly Cobb until a quick search...
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:57 PM   #3
brandobot
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 STI Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slofouru View Post
I'm just here to see how many people bum rush you because you are questioning the quality of a Cobb/Growler installation. I didn't realize they were formerly Cobb until a quick search...
I'm not questioning it... I'm stating facts. The fact is the car had a block installed by them, and 500 miles/4 months later, the oil pan is right where the liquid gasket should be.

To me, that sounds like someone didn't do a proper job sealing the oil pan
Old 06-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
boogieman98
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 402592

Do not go to Growler Motor Labs. I had an engine built by them during and after the sale from occurred and Cobb Corporate ended up paying AWD Tuning to Fix Chris and his team's **** up. Chris is a snake and will cut corners to increase profits and ghost you as soon as any problem comes up
boogieman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:43 AM   #5
brandobot
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 STI Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman98 View Post
Do not go to Growler Motor Labs. I had an engine built by them during and after the sale from occurred and Cobb Corporate ended up paying AWD Tuning to Fix Chris and his team's **** up. Chris is a snake and will cut corners to increase profits and ghost you as soon as any problem comes up
Glad to know I'm not alone. If you can't trust them to reseal an oil pan, you can't trust them with much else. Be sure to leave them a nice review on Yelp and Google reviews.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #6
JayCee2.5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 344090
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2007 STI
OBP

News Growler gone under

Growler Motor Labs went out of business yesterday according to one of their service writers. Also it states permanently closed on google. It was apparently a sudden event even to those working there.
JayCee2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #7
brandobot
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 STI Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee2.5 View Post
Growler Motor Labs went out of business yesterday according to one of their service writers. Also it states permanently closed on google. It was apparently a sudden event even to those working there.
I can’t say I feel bad. What goes around, comes around.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #8
Nahoward
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486869
Vehicle:
2018 WRX CVT Stage2
Lapis Blue

I was actually in the beginning stages of troubleshooting a problem and was shocked to find out they had closed from a friend that worked there. Apparently the employees had as little warning as the customers on this as it's really a sudden thing.

From other stuff in the DFW area Facebook groups (which I really don't want to get into here), it's a real cluster of a situation.

I know there's a bunch of us that want to point and laugh at this, but ya got to keep in mind the people working there were (effectively) all laid off with zero warning, and as the owner has (for all we can tell) basically ghosted - so the employees are probably going to be screwed over as hard as the affected customers were.
Nahoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #9
Cosworth751
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 500528
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2007 Sti
White

Its crazy because the people that currently had there cars in the shop apperently he took all the parts of the unfinished cars and just tossed them in the cars in an unfenced lot. I wonder if theres any form of business fraud involved.
Cosworth751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #10
Pre
Scooby Guru

Member#: 139693
Vehicle:
Dura ngo 95
horrorshow

This is f'd. Been using the place since 2008.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
alex_reed
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 415106

Plano police arrested a looter last night as well
alex_reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
Nahoward
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX CVT Stage2
Lapis Blue

And for some more general information:

If you know of anyone affected, or if you are missing anything, please have the affected people call the Plano police department at their non-emergency number of +1(972)424-5678 to get their stuff.

Also, if you have any information on locating Chris Fleming, please relay it to the Plano police ASAP.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #13
Nahoward
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX CVT Stage2
Lapis Blue

So apparently the keys were mailed back to their owners around September 11th.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #14
brandobot
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 STI Limited

What a **** show... sounds like the owner was a really shady character.