Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday October 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Vendor Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (2)

Member#: 288942
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

Default *****update*****

Okay so here is the deal with brentuning. this is MY EXPERIENCE WITH HIM.

All started well, he got me in in 1 days notice which was awesome. He used a dynapack at psi racing in Auburn. Not ideal but it worked. He did a pretty thorough dyno session I'm talking like 15-20 pulls. He was semi-friendly and answered most of my questions. The final pull showed 330 ish whp and 330 ish wtq. we went out for some road tuning and immediately the car was not making target boost. he fixed it.

a few days went by and my car learned its fuel trims and I was loving it. I went about a week and a half and then decided to pull some logs because the car seemed to be falling on its face and down on power. Holy knock learning batman wtf. it was pulling from 1-4 to 35 degrees of timing under full boost/wot at high load = not good.

I sent bren the logs and he made some ''modification'' and emailed me a new map. I put it on and bam the issue was fixed. then the car learned its fuel trims and we were back at square one. and I was down a lb of boost. apparently he figure lets just take away some boost and timing and fix the issue. this charade went on about 4 times with no positive results. I honestly was thinking fried ringland.

I saw him at WBM and addressed the issue with him in person because you WILL NOT get him on the phone. He agreed to take a look at the car and do some more road tuning....great. I meet up with him the following tuesday and we go out and do some more tuning. Allegedly the problem is fixed. Except that now I am only making 16 lbs of boost. Take a look at my mod list. this is not acceptable, it should be 19-21 with my mods.

I email him again and his exact words to me were and I quote "I dont want to be married to this car" . Okay douche I paid you for a service and a product and it is not what I paid for. The issue is that Bren refused to accept that I had any idea about the ECU of our cars and that I know every log will show zero knock while it is learning its fuel trims or after a reflash/reset. My car pulled a minimum of 2.8 degrees of timing on Brens tune at wot/full boost in high RPM range. this caused the car to buck and feel like it was stuttering.

finally I decide to send the logs of his ''proprietery'' information to four top name tuners across the country in a desperate cry for help. More like a proprietery blend of low timing and boost knock blend. All of them said this was not normal behavior and it was not going to end well. I checked everything to try to eliminate his tune from being the culprit because I just paid 450 for it. guess what it was? his tune.

Eric at TP took the challenge of correcting this debocle and gave me an etune for a fraction of the cost. After just two revisions of the TP base mape and 1 week of tuning the map is squared away. you will have some knock under some conditions, you can not avoid it. The weather/humidity/fuel and all other factors do cause knock its just a fact.

With Erics TP stage 3 map I barely see any knock learning and if I do it is not more than 1.4 which is the minimum the accessport will read. And I make 20 PSI all day with no issues, hot, cold, humid, dry rain etc.

I would not let bren tune my car again if he was the last tuner on earth. I would learn how to tune it myself. It was not just the garbage tune that pissed me off about the whole experience. it was his refusal to admit that there was an issue or that I had any clue about what was going on. His emails were condescending and rude. He would respond with one word answers to my questions. I was not the easiest customer that he ever had I am sure of that. I did email him daily while his tune was on my car in a desperate attempt to get it fixed which he was either not willing or incapable of fixing it.

I was trying not to post this because I dont want to be that guy but I also want other people to be aware of my experience. If I was half aware that this was how it was going to go I would not have let him touch my car. if anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

Last edited by cablegorilla; 07-24-2012 at 11:49 PM.
cablegorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
Psychoreo
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (11)

Member#: 79643
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Terminal black pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegorilla View Post
Okay so here is the deal with brentuning. this is MY EXPERIENCE WITH HIM.

All started well, he got me in in 1 days notice which was awesome. He used a dynapack at psi racing in Auburn. Not ideal but it worked. He did a pretty thorough dyno session I'm talking like 15-20 pulls. He was semi-friendly and answered most of my questions. The final pull showed 330 ish whp and 330 ish wtq. we went out for some road tuning and immediately the car was not making target boost. he fixed it.

a few days went by and my car learned its fuel trims and I was loving it. I went about a week and a half and then decided to pull some logs because the car seemed to be falling on its face and down on power. Holy knock learning batman wtf. it was pulling from 1-4 to 35 degrees of timing under full boost/wot at high load = not good.

I sent bren the logs and he made some ''modification'' and emailed me a new map. I put it on and bam the issue was fixed. then the car learned its fuel trims and we were back at square one. and I was down a lb of boost. apparently he figure lets just take away some boost and timing and fix the issue. this charade went on about 4 times with no positive results. I honestly was thinking fried ringland.

I saw him at WBM and addressed the issue with him in person because you WILL NOT get him on the phone. He agreed to take a look at the car and do some more road tuning....great. I meet up with him the following tuesday and we go out and do some more tuning. Allegedly the problem is fixed. Except that now I am only making 16 lbs of boost. Take a look at my mod list. this is not acceptable, it should be 19-21 with my mods.

I email him again and his exact words to me were and I quote "I dont want to be married to this car" . Okay douche I paid you for a service and a product and it is not what I paid for. The issue is that Bren refused to accept that I had any idea about the ECU of our cars and that I know every log will show zero knock while it is learning its fuel trims or after a reflash/reset. My car pulled a minimum of 2.8 degrees of timing on Brens tune at wot/full boost in high RPM range. this caused the car to buck and feel like it was stuttering.

finally I decide to send the logs of his ''proprietery'' information to four top name tuners across the country in a desperate cry for help. More like a proprietery blend of low timing and boost knock blend. All of them said this was not normal behavior and it was not going to end well. I checked everything to try to eliminate his tune from being the culprit because I just paid 450 for it. guess what it was? his tune.

Eric at TP took the challenge of correcting this debocle and gave me an etune for a fraction of the cost. After just two revisions of the TP base mape and 1 week of tuning the map is squared away. you will have some knock under some conditions, you can not avoid it. The weather/humidity/fuel and all other factors do cause knock its just a fact.

With Erics TP stage 3 map I barely see any knock learning and if I do it is not more than 1.4 which is the minimum the accessport will read. And I make 20 PSI all day with no issues, hot, cold, humid, dry rain etc.

I would not let bren tune my car again if he was the last tuner on earth. I would learn how to tune it myself. It was not just the garbage tune that pissed me off about the whole experience. it was his refusal to admit that there was an issue or that I had any clue about what was going on. His emails were condescending and rude. He would respond with one word answers to my questions. I was not the easiest customer that he ever had I am sure of that. I did email him daily while his tune was on my car in a desperate attempt to get it fixed which he was either not willing or incapable of fixing it.

I was trying not to post this because I dont want to be that guy but I also want other people to be aware of my experience. If I was half aware that this was how it was going to go I would not have let him touch my car. if anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

What mod list?
Psychoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoreo View Post
What mod list?
sorry took this off of my club wrx post and pasted it here. check this out

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2359605
Old 07-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

I would like to take the time to explain the outcome of this situation. Today Bren and I sat down for a good hour and came to an agreement that works for the both of us.

We agreed that the tune didn't work out and it was for reasons beyond our control. There was a mechanical issue that we were not aware of. Bren will be tuning my car for free once I put some more tunable mods on it.

Bren was very open minded during our conversation and I feel much better about the outcome. It looks like I jumped the gun here. There is no reason for me to take off the TP which is working just fine at the moment. Once more mods are done Bren will have another go at it free of charge.

I just want to thank him for doing this because not many tuners out there would go this extra mile. It says a lot about his customer service. Also thanks to Eric from TP for the current tune.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
P-Train
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 279233
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
OBP

Just out of curiosity what was the mechanical issue? This was literally the first bad thing I'd read/heard about Bren. I just had my car tuned by him this Saturday because of his stellar reputation and I had done MONTHS of research on tuners before my decision was made (Word of mouth goes a long way). His tune surpassed my expectations. He is definitely hard to get a hold of via telephone but all in all is a good guy, I'll definitely be going back to him when I have more tuneable mods.

P.S. I sold my accessport and let him tune with his gear if that makes a difference.

08' WRX Stage 2, 238whp/320wtq
P-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

My coolant overflow bottle that came with the front mount is cheap. The bottle bracket was bending and causing it to smack the side of the timing cover which was tricking the knock sensor. That is what we believe.

The tune that I had by him had so many revisions made to it that it was a lost cause and we decided it needed to be done over. But my current tune seems to be fine. I have since made a support bracket for the overflow that holds it like a rock. Way to go turboXS with the cheap over flow.

Regardless Bren was very open minded and the problem is rectified. Once I have more mods he will tune it for me again