Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 01:44 AM   #26
jeff6666p
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 400078
Join Date: Aug 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: hampstead/nc
Vehicle:
1998 impreza 2.5rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lphthephunk View Post
Also, it is probably worth noting that all cylinders plugs are fouling out equally
Where any of them wet from gas what's the gap? Check the compression maybe the rebuild was off.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by jeff6666p; 09-02-2019 at 01:56 AM.
jeff6666p is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #27
lphthephunk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 505232
Join Date: Aug 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff6666p View Post
Where any of them wet from gas what's the gap? Check the compression maybe the rebuild was off.
I have a guage from AutoZone that I suspect to be off. I read 60 psi on all cylinders when doing a compression test yesterday. It was with the car a good ways below operating temp, but not ice cold. All plugs were out and pedal was to the floor. Also used a brand new battery.
lphthephunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #28
BeastianSTI
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310506
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
Silver, Sexy 'n Raspy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lphthephunk View Post
I have a guage from AutoZone that I suspect to be off. I read 60 psi on all cylinders when doing a compression test yesterday. It was with the car a good ways below operating temp, but not ice cold. All plugs were out and pedal was to the floor. Also used a brand new battery.
Hm - that seems low. The lowest I've seen is 85, but if you haven't sealed the rings yet that could be the cause.

Can you take pictures of what the plug(s) look like? Might give us a clue.
BeastianSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #29
lphthephunk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 505232
Join Date: Aug 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastianSTI View Post
Hm - that seems low. The lowest I've seen is 85, but if you haven't sealed the rings yet that could be the cause.

Can you take pictures of what the plug(s) look like? Might give us a clue.
I don't have time to take them out today, but trust me they are fouled with fuel; black and sooty. If taken out directly after idling they are wet with fuel.

I went ahead and put some air through the system to see if I could find anything blatantly obvious, but no dice. It does not appear that I have any leaks.

I guess that just leaves timing again. However, I have checked the timing countless times already.

When the car has been left with plugs out for a while to evaporate the fuel, and the plugs have been torched, it starts right up without needing to be in fuel cut out. It starts out at a very low rpm though and eventually (like 3 seconds) quickly works its way up to about 1500 rpm to warm up and then the idle kind of adjusts to about 1000rpm. You can feel it occasionally miss, probably because all of the fuel.

I think my next step will be to remove the intake manifold again and actually see where the valves are when the timing marks are lined up.

Last edited by lphthephunk; 09-02-2019 at 03:38 PM.
lphthephunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #30
jeff6666p
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 400078
Join Date: Aug 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: hampstead/nc
Vehicle:
1998 impreza 2.5rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lphthephunk View Post
I don't have time to take them out today, but trust me they are fouled with fuel; black and sooty. If taken out directly after idling they are wet with fuel.

I went ahead and put some air through the system to see if I could find anything blatantly obvious, but no dice. It does not appear that I have any leaks.

I guess that just leaves timing again. However, I have checked the timing countless times already.

When the car has been left with plugs out for a while to evaporate the fuel, and the plugs have been torched, it starts right up without needing to be in fuel cut out. It starts out at a very low rpm though and eventually (like 3 seconds) quickly works its way up to about 1500 rpm to warm up and then the idle kind of adjusts to about 1000rpm. You can feel it occasionally miss, probably because all of the fuel.

I think my next step will be to remove the intake manifold again and actually see where the valves are when the timing marks are lined up.
Try to get another gauge. That compression is way too low. Your injectors may be sticking cause excess fuel to flood the engine. Also Try new plugs I would get copper ones since they are cheap and your just testing.
jeff6666p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:46 AM   #31
lphthephunk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 505232
Join Date: Aug 2019
Default

Going to send my injectors in to be cleaned and flow tested.
lphthephunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #32
jeff6666p
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 400078
Join Date: Aug 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: hampstead/nc
Vehicle:
1998 impreza 2.5rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lphthephunk View Post
Going to send my injectors in to be cleaned and flow tested.
You get it running yet?
jeff6666p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #33
lphthephunk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 505232
Join Date: Aug 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff6666p View Post
You get it running yet?
Haha, nope. Thankfully it's just a project.

I replaced the camshaft position sensors and the fuel trims actually look pretty normal now. I didn't end up sending the injectors in because better judgement tells me it's pretty unlikely for them all to fail.

I tore one of the o rings from my endless fiddling with the intake. Once I replace the o ring I'm going to run through the fuel system again. I feel like it's pretty close.

Last edited by lphthephunk; 09-18-2019 at 02:30 PM.
lphthephunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #34
lphthephunk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 505232
Join Date: Aug 2019
Default

Quick question, might be a dumb one: I'm running through the fuel system again and am testing fuel pressure. I get no fuel pressure with key on and engine off.

Is the fuel pressure regulator supposed to not hold pressure unless the engine is running? I would think it would, but the middle fuel line(under the main feed) just squirts the fuel back out.
lphthephunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #35
jeff6666p
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 400078
Join Date: Aug 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: hampstead/nc
Vehicle:
1998 impreza 2.5rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lphthephunk View Post
Quick question, might be a dumb one: I'm running through the fuel system again and am testing fuel pressure. I get no fuel pressure with key on and engine off.

Is the fuel pressure regulator supposed to not hold pressure unless the engine is running? I would think it would, but the middle fuel line(under the main feed) just squirts the fuel back out.
Your supposed to have fuel pressure with the engine off key and in the on position. Your pump isn't priming if you aren't.
jeff6666p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #36
lphthephunk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 505232
Join Date: Aug 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff6666p View Post
Your supposed to have fuel pressure with the engine off key and in the on position. Your pump isn't priming if you aren't.
Sweet, I figured as much. I'm getting fuel to the rail, but it's immediately being sent back to the tank. I'm thinking the fuel pressure regulator is stuck open.
lphthephunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:43 PM   #37
lphthephunk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 505232
Join Date: Aug 2019
Default

Well turns out it was just a faulty fuel pressure gauge. Fuel pressure is fine and it doesn't bleed off after running, so I don't think any injectors are stuck open.

Looks like I'm pulling the motor to double check valve clearance.

Edit: also, I noticed that fuel pressure drops when blipping the throttle. It drops to about 30psi then the car dies. Is it normal for fuel pressure to drop when tapping the throttle?

Last edited by lphthephunk; 09-26-2019 at 07:08 PM.
lphthephunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #38
lphthephunk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 505232
Join Date: Aug 2019
Default

Small update

Been pretty busy so I haven't had the time to fully pull the motor out yet. However, I did get it undressed and I'll hopefully have time to pull it tomorrow.

Also found that while turning engine by hand, air was escaping through all intake valves on compression stroke. I had the intake manifold off during this, so I was able to feel the air escaping. This is probably a good indicator that my original lash was very incorrect.
lphthephunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.