Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 13, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #51
rheng
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 196998
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
black

Default

17, senior
paid for my car by myself.
basically have been saving a for a car since i started working (15) so yeah, totally worth it
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:54 AM   #52
forrealsss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182954
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2008 WRX hatch
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedbergsuby07 View Post
and here we go im 21 now didnt get my first real car until i was 19 bought paid for it cover gas food rent car payments etc im a senior in college. it bothers me all these young kids with the fast and the furious mentality let me have a sti mommy or daddy and of course they get it for said kid. do i want a sti yea sure but when it comes down to it i cant afford do i need that luxury rite now. mabey in a few years but hey im not ur parents and i figure practiclaity over splurge so i can shut my kids up but hey thats just me bittom line this thread makes me.

This attitude bothers me. There's no reason why you should be upset about other kids getting more than you did. You like acting as if you're the mature one but the reality is that you're bitching because someone else got more than you did.

There are kids at my school with brand new BMWs, Audis, MBs, and even Porsches. I couldn't care less.
forrealsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:54 AM   #53
shanemono4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 173332
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: UT
Vehicle:
2003 2.5rs
PSM.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrealsss View Post
Most of the kids at my school with nice cars take really good care of them. Except the girls... They have no concept of such a thing with their Jettas and tCs
I wish the kids at my school took care of them. They've got some sick cars, sad to see them get beat to death.
shanemono4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:58 AM   #54
neat-0-wrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175975
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Trenton OH
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrealsss View Post
This attitude bothers me. There's no reason why you should be upset about other kids getting more than you did. You like acting as if you're the mature one but the reality is that you're bitching because someone else got more than you did.

There are kids at my school with brand new BMWs, MBs, and even Porsches. I couldn't care less.
says the kid in hs with a brand new car... its hard to teach respect of belonging when things are just handed to you your whole life... im proud to have worked to earn what i have... and while some people can treat things they are given with respect its not usually the case, and is thus bad parenting... that is why people are bothered by this, not because they didnt get it but because it can really be a hinderence to a damn good life lesson... not to mention most kids crash their first car anyway
neat-0-wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:01 AM   #55
forrealsss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182954
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2008 WRX hatch
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neat-0-wrx View Post
says the kid in hs with a brand new car... its hard to teach respect of belonging when things are just handed to you your whole life... im proud to have worked to earn what i have... and while some people can treat things they are given with respect its not usually the case, and is thus bad parenting... that is why people are bothered by this, not because they didnt get it but because it can really be a hinderence to a damn good life lesson... not to mention most kids crash their first car anyway
So you were ranting because I'm missing out on a life lesson? Why, gee, thanks. I didn't know you cared so much.

EDIT: the only damage on my car are two door dings from parking next to my mom
forrealsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:06 AM   #56
rheng
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 196998
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neat-0-wrx View Post
says the kid in hs with a brand new car... its hard to teach respect of belonging when things are just handed to you your whole life... im proud to have worked to earn what i have... and while some people can treat things they are given with respect its not usually the case, and is thus bad parenting... that is why people are bothered by this, not because they didnt get it but because it can really be a hinderence to a damn good life lesson... not to mention most kids crash their first car anyway
you'd love the kid at my school who got a brand new srt challenger for his graduation gift. This was before the first semester was over btw
rheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #57
raheezy69
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163078
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dirty South
Vehicle:
MARG BAR DICTATOR
LONG LIVE IRAN!!

Default

I was able to buy my car my freshman year in college only because of a nice settlement from AIG. Someone decided they like to play stuntman in a celica going 70mph in a 30mph zone. Not to mention it was an S-Turn and a teenage girl..
In high school I drove a 1986 BMW 325!! Bought it from my pops for $1000
Insurance was soooo cheap.
raheezy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #58
BretskieSubie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 200793
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Cakilak
Vehicle:
06 ...stock WRX/B

Default

i see this thread going strong for a while
BretskieSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #59
DriftStars
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194257
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver, BC
Default

See, I'm 17, but since my parents backed out on helping me out with my car, I've had to settle down to getting a 2nd gen Legacy. Personally, seeing all these kids my age with fast STI's concerns me...
DriftStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #60
BretskieSubie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 200793
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Cakilak
Vehicle:
06 ...stock WRX/B

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftStars View Post
See, I'm 17, but since my parents backed out on helping me out with my car, I've had to settle down to getting a 2nd gen Legacy. Personally, seeing all these kids my age with fast STI's concerns me...

you'll go far my friend
BretskieSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #61
DrewDeezy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 160279
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Richland, WA
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Crawford Performance

Default

parents bought me first car in junior year. 89 nissan maxima. they paid insurance and payment for me.

after high school, traded that in for a 99 accord which i made payments and insurance payments on.

went out and bought a 05 WRX in 2007 for myself. make car and insurance payments on both of them for a couple months, then sold the accord to my sister who was in dire need of a car.

cant believe how young some STi owners are... Im definetly sure that some of you guys are very mature and can handle the responsibility.

But Im also betting there are some of you who cant. Im also betting that you know other kids in your school who would destroy the car on their first day with it..

congrats to anyone who is in high school and is paying off their own car/insurance, it takes a lot (especially to be employed while still in high school and maintain good grades)
DrewDeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #62
haku
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 168840
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Sedan
Satin White Pearl

Default

I am jealous. I wish I had an STI in HS (damn or even now).

For those of you that 'paid' for your own car, do you not pay rent, bills, etc.? Unless you make an ass load of money doing whatever it is you do.

Even when I saved when I worked at 16, I didn't make crap. And all that money went to rent.
haku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #63
thegreenthief
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 212277
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4skuns View Post
You're a senior in college? What college is this?
^ lol

I had a '92 Mazda 626 when I was in high school. This thread makes baby Jesus cry...
thegreenthief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #64
neat-0-wrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175975
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Trenton OH
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrealsss View Post
So you were ranting because I'm missing out on a life lesson? Why, gee, thanks. I didn't know you cared so much.

EDIT: the only damage on my car are two door dings from parking next to my mom
its called character development... and is is a reason that your generation is called the entitlement generation, because most people your age just expect things to be give to them and are not greatful... now immagen a few years of that go by what people will be like...
neat-0-wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #65
Ogden
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1748
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Vehicle:
'09 Outback Sport
OBP over DGM

Default

First off, congrats to all the recent or soon-to-be grads.

I wish I had an STI in high school. Of course, they didn't even have the Legacy available yet when I was in high school, let alone the Impreza/WRX/STI.

I had an International Harvester Scout (think first-gen SUV) though, and I loved it. The thing was 10 years old when I got it, and a tank. I used to park on the lawn because the lot would fill up, and because I could. My first nice car was my first Subie, my 97 OBS.

[old man "hey you kids get off my lawn" voice]

Okay, so mixed in with all the stuff posted in this thread is some solid advice.

If you get a nice car, take care of it. Appreciate it. Don't go F'n'F on it. Seeing a young kid trash a beautiful car is what kills people, regardless of the type of car. Don't be the stereotype.

If you get a fast car, and you intend to race it (street or otherwise) put off the first round of mods and spend that money on some drving lessons. Not driver's ed, but actual performance driving lessons.

First, it's fun.

Second, it will help you get the most from your car, and with 2-3 years of drving experience, you can't get the most from you car. I'm not trying to be mean, but unless you are some sort of natually gifted driver it's pretty unlikely that you can get the most from a WRX or an STI. There are plenty of people with 20 years of driving who can also, not get the most from their car.

Third, it will help ensure that you don't wreck your car, or wreck yourself. It's easy to think that you won't be the statistic, but all the other statistics out there thought that too.

Fourth, its something that will last your whole life and transfer to any car you own in the future. Drving skill is something that mods don't make up for.

[/old man "hey you kids get off my lawn" voice]

I see people faulting people for paying for cars while living at home and I understand your point, but hey, you're only young once and really, tieing all your money up in a car so that you are stuck at your folk's house and can't afford to move out will probably drive you to never let yourself get put in that situation again.
Ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #66
DB09
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 198025
Join Date: Dec 2008
Vehicle:
09 Legacy 3.0R
QSM

Default

I just graduated on Sunday. I received an '09 QSM 3.0R Legacy Limited in early March and now have 31xx miles on it and am in love. Originally I was looking at an STi which is an awesome car and what not but I had the practicality talk with the 'rents and settled on the Legacy. There are days I think I should have got the FXT limited that they had but I cannot complain - the car is almost too nice for me. I really think is interesting that you guys threads like this. You all loathe "children" with nice cars and none of us choose our financial situations so I don't understand how you can hate someone for what they have - especially if they are gratuitous for what they have. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the delivery of most i.e. "ToOK teh NeW STi To 140 mPh!!!!1111" - which must bother those of you who busted your asses for your babies and then you see these 'kids' abusing there new toys.
DB09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #67
Smoke
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 172486
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Cheney, WA
Vehicle:
95 V4 STi-RA swap
Stage 49.8

Default

I have an L.

If I want a fast car, I'll have to work for it!

STi swap here I come.

BTW: Responsibility doesn't replace driving experience. You may be a straight A student and the student all the parents wish their daughter would date, but it doesn't make you a class A driver.
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #68
Spudchucker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 201147
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: NH
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5ISC
M90 SUPERCHARGED

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi__G View Post
I'm only in high school to pick up chicks
I keep getting older, and they stay the same age.. yes they do.
Spudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #69
brumby
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 162631
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: GR,MI
Vehicle:
03 subaru wrx
silver

Default

It's crazy to think when the wrx came out we were like ohhhh..haaaa, then the sti came out and the price tag was in the 30's and no one I know under 25 could afford one at the time,and all these kids are driving sti's like there 1985 escorts,which is all I could afford in HS. A little jealously from me,yes,but Hey i'm 30 driving a focus, you gotta expect it.
brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #70
Grisha222
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 204035
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
09 2.5eye
DGM

Default

I'm 17 and a junior in HS. All stock for now but I just got the car
Grisha222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #71
DHGurs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 187414
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Pembroke, NH
Vehicle:
90 3 25i/10 STi SE/
17 GK Sport 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neat-0-wrx View Post
its called character development... and is is a reason that your generation is called the entitlement generation, because most people your age just expect things to be give to them and are not greatful... now immagen a few years of that go by what people will be like...
+12345

My parents had plenty of money when I was in HS, but they wanted me to appreciate earning something, because everything they had, they earned. Which is why I bought a 96 Escort from them for $1000 in 2001, then drove it for 3 years till I had $6k saved up to put down on what I wanted.

Who cares about fiscal responsibility anyway?
DHGurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #72
Greg B.(blue 06 WRX)
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 211290
Join Date: May 2009
Smile

I'm a sophmoore in high school. I just got my 06 wrx limited(wanted standard but parents didn't want me to get it)...no mods yet(blue lugs don't count right?:lol)...tying to decide what turbo-back to get...I have $1,200 but can't choose.
Greg B.(blue 06 WRX) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #73
bigolrig
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 185347
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lexington, OH
Vehicle:
2002 EVO3 bugeye wag
EG33 Swapped 2 dr RS

Default

Im 17, picked up my wag for 6300 with tein super street coilovers. I got it because a local guy bent me over when I bought his outback and neglected to tell me it had cracked heads. I have the fastest car in the lot haha
For mods I have:
Megan 3in DP
Hks Hi-Power
Gimmick Afta-Maf
Cobb Short Ram
Ap V1 Stage 2 93 oct
TEIN Super Street Coilovers
JE pistons and Eagle rods bored .2 over, motor blew 1000 miles after I bought it
Pioneer Avic N1 that my dad gave me when he traded in his old dodge ram
and little diy stuff: koji mod, catch can, hail damage, a$$ print dent in front fender, and a lovely dent in the back fender when my mom drove it and neglected to put it in gear and the ebrake and rolled back into the fence.
16g,walbro,pinks and other goodies on the way!
P.s. This was all payed for by me and most was bought used from the lovely members of Nasioc!
bigolrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #74
Subarudunk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179439
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Phillly
Vehicle:
2004 STI
JBP

Default

im 19. buying a stock sti because I dont want the headaches of a used and abused bugeye. Sure my parents help me out but I live at home while attending school and need reliabilty for work and school. I do make money though so the car payments and gas are mine.
Subarudunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #75
Stivie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 162845
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Pacific Northwest
Vehicle:
2007 Audi RS4
2008 CBR 1000rr

Default

18-graduating in a couple weeks.



2006 Subaru Impreza STi
“Stivie”
Engine
-2.5L Turbo (IHI VF-39)
-Titek 3inch Downpipe
-GReddy Ti-C 3inch Exhaust
-Devil’s Own Methanol Injection Kit Using Stock Intercooler Spray Reservoir
-Perrin Lightweight Crank Pully
-Perrin Oil Catch Can
-SPT Heat Shield
-AVO Turboworld Throttle-body coupler
-Tuned on a Dynamometer
@265whp And 302Wtq
Exterior
-STi Limited Replica Front Lip
-04/05 Impreza Tail Lights
-02-05 Painted WRX Sideskirts
-Black Headlight Housings

-Hella Supertones (painted white)
-18x8.5+35mm AXIS Reverb Wheels
-225/45/18 Toyo Proxes 4 Tires
-10% Tint (w/ window strip)
Suspension/ Drivetrain
-ADM Racing Logic 32-Way Adjustable Coilovers with 32mm Hub Flange
-ACT 2600 Extreme Cluth And Pressure Plat
-ACT Streetlite Flywheel
Interior/Audio
-Recaro SRD w Custom Rails and Brackets
-Black Suede Headliner
-Avic 700 In-Dash
-JBL 300W Amp
-2 10” JBL Subwoofers

Last edited by Stivie; 05-27-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Stivie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many here are 30+yr/old and have a wrx? 03silverblt General Community 4835 12-07-2017 02:59 PM
how many here are running a non-stock turbo? Benjamin Tang Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 2 05-23-2004 01:17 PM
What/how many book(s) are you in the middle of right now? gongzero Off-Topic 75 03-17-2004 11:32 PM
Can you Guess how many people are cram in to this accord? FryRice Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 8 08-16-2003 03:45 PM
How many here are previous DSM owners? joostin420 General Forum Archive 27 01-21-2001 01:24 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.