Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 15, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 04:26 AM   #1
SubieLover1995
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487940
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default 2005 2.5rs no crank no start.

Hey guys, at a loss here. I'm a technician at a GM dealership and worked at Nissan before here. Myself, another GM tech, and a guy from nissan can't figure this out.

Bought my car 2005 impreza 2.5rs with a "blown motor". Ran low on oil and got rod knock on the highway. Sat for 8 months. When i looked at it it wouldnt start, just had a slow slow crank.

Replaced the motor. No it's a no crank no start. Replaced Battery as old one was cooked.

Car has an EJ253 with standard transmission. Ground to starter is good with 0.3ohm resistance and negligible voltage drop. Power to starter is good. On the trigger wire on the S terminal i have 10.00v with key on, as well as when cranking. If i unplug the clutch switch i have 12v coming from the relays (test light comes on, amperage is good) and 10.00v coming from ecm to clutch switch. If i ground the relays at the clutch switch i hear them click.

No fuel pump activity at all. No fuel pressure at the rail. Car has 10l of fresh gas in the tank. New plugs and wires as well.

Ultimately I'm at a loss and really am not sure where to go. The ground for starter and ground on rear engine mount are good and secure, no blown fuses or anything. Has anyone seen this before?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SubieLover1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:32 AM   #2
SubieLover1995
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487940
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default

Things i forgot:

Unplugging the s terminal and jumping it with the starter power wire allows it to crank but no fuel.

Obd scan tool turns on with key in ACC but when key is ON the scan tool just powers on for a few seconds and turns off. Repeats process several times in a minute.
SubieLover1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:52 AM   #3
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 3409
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Oly
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Default

What year did the engine come out of, and was it out of a manual or auto car?

It sounds like something is off. Typically the fuel pump gets shut down when the ECM doesn't see certain engine sensors, for example when the engine harness is unplugged due to the engine being on a bench getting heads done and you're pushing the car around, it won't douche the ground with fuel when you key it up to unlock the steering.

I'd find out what the donor vehicle was as my first step. And then make sure it was a manual car, as I believe the triggers on the crank pulley are different for Auto cars, and it'll never start until you swap the pulleys.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:16 AM   #4
SubieLover1995
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487940
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default

Thank you! Engine is out of a 2005 impreza 2.5ts with manual transmission!
SubieLover1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:02 AM   #5
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 3409
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Oly
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Default

Well then, that's odd. I don't believe there would be any differences between the RS and TS of a given year if both have manuals.

It still sounds like something is funky with the wiring. Why do you have voltage on the trigger at the starter with key on but not cranking? Why isn't it cranking if you do have voltage there? Why is it 10v? Why does the ECU power up and down? Or is it the communication lines that are wigging out?

Get your dvom on the fuel pump wiring. Is there power at the pump? If you jump the pump, does it run?
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
SubieLover1995
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487940
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default

Replaced ecm (had a cheap one available) no change. Fuel pump wiring lights up the test light on 3 out of 6 pins
SubieLover1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
SubieLover1995
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487940
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default

Also not sure if i mentioned earlier, but scan tool powers up with key in accessory but dies with key on. So DLC is killing power or ground to the scan tool for some reason with key on
SubieLover1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #8
VinceS2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353338
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Newcastle Australia
Vehicle:
2005 EVO 8 WRX + STi
gold

Default

Is there any chance this car has an anti-theft device fitted? You have the classic symptoms of 'forgot to put my code in'!!!
VinceS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieLover1995 View Post
Also not sure if i mentioned earlier, but scan tool powers up with key in accessory but dies with key on. So DLC is killing power or ground to the scan tool for some reason with key on
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS2 View Post
Is there any chance this car has an anti-theft device fitted? You have the classic symptoms of 'forgot to put my code in'!!!
I would lean to bad power or ground with symptoms. Scanner port should almost always work regardless of fuel or ignition

I believe all/most brands power the OBDII port regardless of alarm or immobilizer.
Charlie-III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:50 AM   #10
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 3409
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Oly
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieLover1995 View Post
Replaced ecm (had a cheap one available) no change. Fuel pump wiring lights up the test light on 3 out of 6 pins

Fuel pump, or fuel pump relay? If you're testing at the relay, that makes sense as your ECM isn't grounding the coil and energizing the relay.

DLC should always have power and ground. They're not switched. I would take a really close look at your engine ground points, especially the passenger's side one, and take an extra careful look at the brown engine harness connector.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:33 AM   #11
SubieLover1995
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487940
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default

Dlc has weak ground key off, no ground key on. So its finding its own ground with key off but a ****ty one. Found dlc ground, fuel gauge ground, and a few others all share the same ground on the intake manifold. Test light comes on and dvom reads 0.2ohm from bolt head to battery negative. Tomorrow im going through all the connectors to see where i lose continuity. That should be where i find my issue, make a proper wiring repair and then we can make a proper conclusion post lol
SubieLover1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #12
SubieLover1995
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487940
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default Resolved.

Checking grounds on intake manifold back to the connector at the rear of engine, 2 wires were green with no continuity. Swapped harnesses, engine runs great!

Grounds
Grounds
Grounds
Grounds!
SubieLover1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #13
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I would lean to bad power or ground with symptoms. Scanner port should almost always work regardless of fuel or ignition

I believe all/most brands power the OBDII port regardless of alarm or immobilizer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoTheCat View Post
Fuel pump, or fuel pump relay? If you're testing at the relay, that makes sense as your ECM isn't grounding the coil and energizing the relay.

DLC should always have power and ground. They're not switched. I would take a really close look at your engine ground points, especially the passenger's side one, and take an extra careful look at the brown engine harness connector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieLover1995 View Post
Dlc has weak ground key off, no ground key on. So its finding its own ground with key off but a ****ty one. Found dlc ground, fuel gauge ground, and a few others all share the same ground on the intake manifold. Test light comes on and dvom reads 0.2ohm from bolt head to battery negative. Tomorrow im going through all the connectors to see where i lose continuity. That should be where i find my issue, make a proper wiring repair and then we can make a proper conclusion post lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieLover1995 View Post
Checking grounds on intake manifold back to the connector at the rear of engine, 2 wires were green with no continuity. Swapped harnesses, engine runs great!

Grounds
Grounds
Grounds
Grounds!
Glad you found it.
Happy it was discussed before.
Yes, sometimes hard to sort through crap and worthwhile on forums.

Thanks for closing this out.
Charlie-III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:05 AM   #14
iconojett
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 489955
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default

Thanks for sharing.
iconojett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.