Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday January 27, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
Kingpin1094
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 506779
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi
Aspen White

Default Kingpin's 06 STI Weekend Warrior Project

My automotive background mostly consists of muscle cars and jeeps, and I never thought I would ever own an import. I grew up working at a gas station, and I had this regular customer that had a blob eye WRX wagon with Cobb exhaust. I remember as a kid always loving the way the car sounded and thinking it was so cool. Well fast forward many years and I was able to drive my friends mildy built 04 FXT, which is when I realized how quick a subaru could be.

I then had the opportunity to buy one and I jumped on it! 04 FXT MT making about 280whp my first Surbaru! I have done mostly maintence to it as the PO did about the maximum work the 5 speed could handle. I took it to my first AutoX and oh man what fun turning is! (Previous drag racer). I soon realized I wanted more, I wanted the DCCD, I wanted LSD's, and I wanted a big wing!

I really wanted to find a clean stock Aspen White 05/06 STi. I preferred the 06 facia, but I also like the 05 and I was willing to take whichever one came up first that was clean. Well long story short I ended up finding this 06 STi:

And it is CLEAN! but unfortunely it is not stock. It has an IAG stage 2 block professionally installed by IAG, an FMIC and an EWG. The car has been well cared for, with almost 0 rust. It has roughly 105k miles on it, and only about 3,000 on the block.

Last edited by Kingpin1094; 12-13-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Kingpin1094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
Kingpin1094
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi
Aspen White

Build Goal:
Daily Driver that can run at autoX and track days.

My goal is to make mid 300's HP and have the car be comfortable and relatively quiet on the street. I'd like to remove the EWG and FMIC and go back to a large TMIC. I'd also like to remove the column boost gauge, and turbo timer. I dont see the point of a turbo timer with a water cooled turbo, and the boost gauge on the column blocks the beauty of the STI cluster. Id prefer to run a 3 gauge pod on the dash.

The car came with some lowering springs on stock struts. My plan for the suspension short term will be to just leave it as is and see how it does. Eventually I'd like to move to an adjustable strut, and replace the sway bars. But all that will come in time.

Here are some more pics of the car when I got it.

Last edited by Kingpin1094; 12-13-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Kingpin1094
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi
Aspen White

Well do to some paperwork hangups getting the title transfered I had some time to kill. Just incase anything really bad happened I didnt want to put any serious money into the car. The paint was in good shape but was real dirty so I decided now would be the time to clay bar it and give it a good polish.

I started with the wing, and I knew to do it properly it would have to come off. I also wanted to get some of the faded paint protection film off the back and clean up whatever gunk was on the front bumper.

Before

Wing Removed. Holy crap it was dirty.

All cleaned up!

Next was to do the rest of the car. I didnt take many before and after pics here, but I did decided to take the typical polishing poser pic.

And here are all the after pics!

The time doing it was well worth it, really helped to brighten the paint. I gave it 2 or 3 good wax coats to keep it protected.

Products used:
Chemical Guys Hex polishing pads
Chemical Guys Clay bar kit
Turtle wax compound
3M Finishing polish
Car Guys hybrid wax sealant.

I don't claim to be an expert on this stuff, a lot of the products I used was just stuff I had on hand which is why its all mixed and matched brands.

Last edited by Kingpin1094; 12-13-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Kingpin1094
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi
Aspen White

While waiting on the new engine parts to get here I decided I wanted to try and do some sound deadening on the STI. The car will spend the majority of its time as a daily so I figured a little sound deadening would help with the driveability and comfort. I've wanted to do this to every single one of my project cars thus far I just never got around to doing it. So I read some threads on here, and bought some product on amazon (which only cost ~$100) and got to work.

I started with behind the rear seat and the rear deck (i apologize for no before and after pics.)

I then moved to the trunk. I was really trying to combat some of the drone I get on the highway. I like the way the TXS muffler sounds, but it does have quite a bit of drone.

And finally the doors. I did the outter skins, and then covered all the holes with aluminum tape, then mat, and CCF.

I ended up doing the gas tank, I really couldnt get to a lot of it because of the heat shield which did not want to come off.

Overall I think it really helped cut out the road noice, and the stock speakers sound a little better. It didn't cut down on the drone as much as I'd liked but it did seem to help a bit. Now I have to decide If I want to swap the axle back out for a Cobb like my FXT had, but Im worried that may be a bit too quiet for my liking. I'll drive it around for a while and see how I feel.

Last edited by Kingpin1094; 12-13-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
Kingpin1094
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi
Aspen White

I got the car all apart, FMIC off, EWG off, Intake off. It was my second time dissaseembling a subaru top end and it was an expierence. But It all came off and then was time to put it all together.

Fuel:
I decided I wanted to convert to 1000cc top feed injectors while I had it apart since I was planning to upgrade the turbo in the summer (more on that later). I ended up finding someone selling lightly used ID1000s, rails, and already deleted TGVs for sale here so I picked those up. I then pieced together my own AN lines and fittings to do the parrallel fueling mod. I also purchased an Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator since my tuner said he likes to bump pressure a tad.

Intake:
The car came with an APS 70 CAI, but it definitely needed a new filter. I found a Green Filter that would fit in the fender and bought it. I was prevously a KN enthusiast, but after some reading decided to give Green Filter a try. The car also had a Gimmik V2 inlet, and again I saw no reasons to swap that out. I was able to find a used GS TMIC (with bung for IAT sensor) for sale locally for cheap. I then bought the GS y pipe kit to go with it, since the setup it came with looked meh and might as well replace it now.

Exhaust:
I debated getting a set of tomei UEL headers, but decided I would just continue to run the STI header, and I got an STI up pipe to replace my GS EWG up pipe. The car has a full TXS exahust with high flow catted DP, mid pipe, and axle back. I welded another bung in it for a wideband.

Turbski:
Initially I was going to continue to run the VF for now just to get the car moving, and then in the summer go ahead and move to an FP blue or Dom1.5xtr or something and make use of the built block. Well then my friends came and were a bad influence. They made the point that I was a few coolant and drain lines away from pulling it, and it would be very easy to do now. Then my friend with his Stock FXT said he'd buy my VF for his forester if I took it off. So I hopped on NASIOC and found someone selling a DOM 1.5XTR with 10cm^2 hotside that had recently been cleaned, inspected, and the coldside coated red. Well I nabbed it, so much for a mild build. And the car came with a Perrin EBCS pro, so that stayed on the car.

Since I initially was just planning to run the VF I bought the IAG feed line for that. And I found out not only does the turbo oil feed differently (restrictor instead of banjo) but When installed the oil line was hitting the cold side housing badly. I had to buy some AN 90's to convert the IAG line to work with GT series CHRA, and clear the housing. This Is how I ran the area behind the head.

To summarize this is the "Final" Build

Final Engine bay shot:

Last edited by Kingpin1094; 12-13-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
Kingpin1094
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi
Aspen White

Reserved for final tuning and power numbers
Old 01-01-2020, 11:47 PM   #7
Kingpin1094
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi
Aspen White

Alright, big update. Been working on finished up the tuning aspect of the build and have run into a string of problems. All of which we were able to remedy, but I am trying to discover the root cause. I have outlined them in this thread:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...3#post46205383