Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday January 25, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #76
Brahmzy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3293
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: CO
Vehicle:
'20 ASCENT
'15 XTERRA P4X

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer883 View Post
so the new 2021 wrx isn't getting dct right? If not, I'm just going to grab a gti.
Yeah, no. Better grab a GTI.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Brahmzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:02 AM   #77
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1999 OBS Camo Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Yeah, no. Better grab a GTI.
Or a Golf R, or a Audi TT, or a Audi S3.

Audi S3's are damn cheap btw, quite a few under $25k. The pricing of used Golf Rs, S3's and MK3 TT's is quite interesting considering they all have similar drivetrains/platforms.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:48 AM   #78
Fierysun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Or a Golf R, or a Audi TT, or a Audi S3.

Audi S3's are damn cheap btw, quite a few under $25k. The pricing of used Golf Rs, S3's and MK3 TT's is quite interesting considering they all have similar drivetrains/platforms.
Long term reliability of German cars is horrendous. It's only worth while if you don't plan on keeping it and leasing it instead.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #79
fredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317270
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA
Vehicle:
15 WRX
and a Sienna

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Long term reliability of German cars is horrendous. It's only worth while if you don't plan on keeping it and leasing it instead.
My experience to date is in agreement with what you say, but unfortunately my experience so far with Subaru results in a "six in one, half dozen in the other" sort of feeling about what the best choice would be.

Meanwhile, my buddy got his Mk7 R a year or so after I got my WRX. It's been in the shop for zero days with problems. I have a list somewhere with all of the times my car has been in the shop, it's bad. I would always say "eh, it's all small stuff" but turns out I was in denial and my car was a pain in the ass. It's all anecdotal, but yeah.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #80
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
My experience to date is in agreement with what you say, but unfortunately my experience so far with Subaru results in a "six in one, half dozen in the other" sort of feeling about what the best choice would be.

Meanwhile, my buddy got his Mk7 R a year or so after I got my WRX. It's been in the shop for zero days with problems. I have a list somewhere with all of the times my car has been in the shop, it's bad. I would always say "eh, it's all small stuff" but turns out I was in denial and my car was a pain in the ass. It's all anecdotal, but yeah.
It's like my 2011 Forester; guzzled 1 gallon of oil, every year, for 5 years and 59K miles. I guess we can say it was RELIABLY burning oil?
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #81
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
06 Forester 18 Imp Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
My experience to date is in agreement with what you say, but unfortunately my experience so far with Subaru results in a "six in one, half dozen in the other" sort of feeling about what the best choice would be.

Meanwhile, my buddy got his Mk7 R a year or so after I got my WRX. It's been in the shop for zero days with problems. I have a list somewhere with all of the times my car has been in the shop, it's bad. I would always say "eh, it's all small stuff" but turns out I was in denial and my car was a pain in the ass. It's all anecdotal, but yeah.
Doesn't matter how small it is. If it's something that needs to be fixed and you have to take time and go back to the dealer, it sucks.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #82
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location:
Vehicle:
.... Red Sedan
White CUV Blue Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Long term reliability of German cars is horrendous. It's only worth while if you don't plan on keeping it and leasing it instead.
Horrendous as in they are not reliable or they are expensive to fix? My mom has an '07 328xi wagon with every single option and 180k on it. She has spent less money on that car than she did her '01 Outback SUS Limited which she drove to 190k. Both driven the same way to the same places parked in the same spot. Like you, I warned her to stay away from buying a used BMW and to lease a new one instead. But she loves that car. And luckily I've been proven wrong.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #83
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1999 OBS Camo Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Long term reliability of German cars is horrendous. It's only worth while if you don't plan on keeping it and leasing it instead.
MQB cars have been pretty reliable. Of course there are the German electrical gremlins, but the MQB cars have inexpensive parts, are easy to work on, and as has been mentioned, are durable.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #84
Subarudunk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179439
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Phillly
Vehicle:
2004 STI
JBP

Default

I was cross shopping my 19 sti with an S3. The S3 is a very stout car. I dont think reliability is the issue. The bigger issue is cost of repairs IF something goes wrong after warranty.
Subarudunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #85
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Long term reliability of German cars is horrendous. It's only worth while if you don't plan on keeping it and leasing it instead.
This. Never again would I own one out of warranty, specially a VW.
Straight6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #86
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

The alternator went out in my buddy's Jetta and the VW dealership is quoting him $650 to replace it. My roommate swapped his alternator in his WRX in the garage in under an hour and the part cost maybe $100 or so. The gap between DYI Subaru repair to a standard dealership repair for a basic VW sedan shouldn't be that big unless the labor is that much more intensive on a VW.

I just don't understand how a high-volume selling German economy car can be so expensive to maintain. Cheaper to purchase, yet more expensive to repair, is preposterous.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #87
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88924
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Vehicle:
2014 Cadenza, Sedona
Past: Tribeca LGTx2 Justy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
The alternator went out in my buddy's Jetta and the VW dealership is quoting him $650 to replace it. My roommate swapped his alternator in his WRX in the garage in under an hour and the part cost maybe $100 or so. The gap between DYI Subaru repair to a standard dealership repair for a basic VW sedan shouldn't be that big unless the labor is that much more intensive on a VW.

I just don't understand how a high-volume selling German economy car can be so expensive to maintain. Cheaper to purchase, yet more expensive to repair, is preposterous.
That kinda undermines the whole idea of an economy car. It should be cheap to maintain. My boss loves VWs, but he works on them himself. He even bought the VW software to talk to the ECU.
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #88
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Honolulu Hawaii
Vehicle:
2017 Tacoma
TRD 4x4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
The alternator went out in my buddy's Jetta and the VW dealership is quoting him $650 to replace it. My roommate swapped his alternator in his WRX in the garage in under an hour and the part cost maybe $100 or so. The gap between DYI Subaru repair to a standard dealership repair for a basic VW sedan shouldn't be that big unless the labor is that much more intensive on a VW.

I just don't understand how a high-volume selling German economy car can be so expensive to maintain. Cheaper to purchase, yet more expensive to repair, is preposterous.
cool story bro. I'm sure the Subaru dealer charges close to $650 to replace an alternator as well. That's why they're called stealerships...
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #89
subyski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202642
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Vehicle:
08 Impreza,80Vette
68 Impala, 15 SantaFe

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
The alternator went out in my buddy's Jetta and the VW dealership is quoting him $650 to replace it. My roommate swapped his alternator in his WRX in the garage in under an hour and the part cost maybe $100 or so. The gap between DYI Subaru repair to a standard dealership repair for a basic VW sedan shouldn't be that big unless the labor is that much more intensive on a VW.

I just don't understand how a high-volume selling German economy car can be so expensive to maintain. Cheaper to purchase, yet more expensive to repair, is preposterous.
Part of it is dealer prices but also the labor required to replace an alternator between the two vehicles. Transverse engines typically have alternators located in awkward tight spots, sometimes requiring other parts to be removed before you can reach the alternator and its mounting bolts. Subaru's alternators are located right in front and on top. It doesn't get a whole lot easier than that. Subaru dealers probably still charge a lot for that work too.
subyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #90
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub!eDr!ver View Post
That kinda undermines the whole idea of an economy car. It should be cheap to maintain. My boss loves VWs, but he works on them himself. He even bought the VW software to talk to the ECU.
They use cheap quality plastic parts that are poorly engineered. Plastic oil pans, failing water pumps...It never ends but I do like the interiors at that price point. Very nice cars to sit in. Great to lease.
Straight6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #91
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location:
Vehicle:
.... Red Sedan
White CUV Blue Wagon

Default

EA888 water pumps are plastic garbage. But as with most cars, some people have them fail, multiple times even, and some drive 100k without fail. Subaru is not a stranger to these types of failures as well. You get a community who cult follows to death something and another community who pitchforks and torches to death something.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #92
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyski View Post
Part of it is dealer prices but also the labor required to replace an alternator between the two vehicles. Transverse engines typically have alternators located in awkward tight spots, sometimes requiring other parts to be removed before you can reach the alternator and its mounting bolts. Subaru's alternators are located right in front and on top. It doesn't get a whole lot easier than that. Subaru dealers probably still charge a lot for that work too.
Exactly. I don't think I need to say it but Subie DOHC engine maintenance cost snowballs pretty quickly when there's cylinder heads / top end issues.
Head gaskets? Engine comes out...
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #93
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1999 OBS Camo Wagon

Default

Don't forget the spark plug and coil pack location differences.

The alternator location on an EA888 is easy to get to, the belt is easier to get off too. Price might be more for the alternator though.

The plastic oil pan can be an issue, but there is an upgrade for it. EJs have oil pan/pickup issues we all know about too. Also, the new Ascent/Legacy engine has plastic in new places too.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #94
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
and another community who pitchforks and torches to death something.
"The tiki torch whites"
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #95
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
cool story bro. I'm sure the Subaru dealer charges close to $650 to replace an alternator as well. That's why they're called stealerships...
Not 100% true. An independent shop that specialized in Japanese car repair wanted over $2k to replace the head gaskets on my Subie. The "stealership" did it for just over $1k, and that was the general going rate from what I researched on here.

I guess I should've asked what the rate was to have an alternator replaced on a 2005 WRX. *shrug*
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #96
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1999 OBS Camo Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Not 100% true. An independent shop that specialized in Japanese car repair wanted over $2k to replace the head gaskets on my Subie. The "stealership" did it for just over $1k, and that was the general going rate from what I researched on here.

I guess I should've asked what the rate was to have an alternator replaced on a 2005 WRX. *shrug*
Alternators are way, WAY more expensive at a dealership than a O'rileys. Sometimes they do have a core program, but not Subarus.

Dealerships around here charge $200 an hour too, so a Subaru alternator job I can see easily being $500+.

Edit: Just checked the price of a 2015 Alternator... $480 on Subaruparts com. Add the $100-200 labor plus a belt and its going to be more expensive than the VW alternator as mentioned.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:24 PM   #97
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Daaaaannng. Thanks for checking. $200/hour is insane. Going rate is typically $100/hour.

These econoboxes are becoming less economical every year.

Last edited by chanomatik; 12-11-2019 at 07:09 PM.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #98
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Also, some Subaru dealers do not send heads out to get resurfaced; they "clean" mating surfaces and call it a day. Always cheaper that way.
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:09 AM   #99
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Honolulu Hawaii
Vehicle:
2017 Tacoma
TRD 4x4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Alternators are way, WAY more expensive at a dealership than a O'rileys. Sometimes they do have a core program, but not Subarus.

Dealerships around here charge $200 an hour too, so a Subaru alternator job I can see easily being $500+.

Edit: Just checked the price of a 2015 Alternator... $480 on Subaruparts com. Add the $100-200 labor plus a belt and its going to be more expensive than the VW alternator as mentioned.
I rolled the dice a few times on reman'd alternators from a local alternator shop and replaced myself...saved a bucket load of money.
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #100
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

The performance purist in me wants an STI coupe if it indeed slaps all other Subaru performance vehicles ever created and currently in production at that time. I don't want this BS we have now where the WRX performs as good as the STI, if not better, but the STI just lasts longer on track days.

I want a distinction between the WRX and STI. I want the WRX to be the practical, utilitarian daily driver, and I want the STI to be pure sports enjoyment, the best of everything good that Subaru has to offer.

That being said, if the STI is a coupe, my chances of owning one would be slim as I'd prefer to only have one vehicle. Who knows, though. Impreza will be paid off and maybe I'll have a chunk of money saved to make smaller payments on an STI.

Especially if I can get a 100 month auto loan.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.