Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 9, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #26
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 90539
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

It's cake swapping these longblocks, especially if you don't need to remove the intake manifold. If you remove the manifold, you risk damaging the two intake port gaskets. You will be surprised how easy it is. That's one of the things I appreciate about the imprezas. The engine harness disconnects easily, alternator is super easy to swap, fuel lines easy to disconnect, etc. The part that takes longest is pulling the engine out of the transmission and lining it up to slide back in, still not horrible. Spark plug changes are sort of crappy, but if you use iridiums you have a long time between swaps.

Sucks the engine let go, but it's a tiny bump in the road if you make sure the next block has new timing components and your son keeps oil changes up. He's not going to care about this engine issue ten years from now, not sure where that nonsense came from. I've had two first gen imprezas and one second gen and they've been worth any of the problems they've ever had. Amazes me how a few cynical people regularly come on this forum and gripe about the cars...yet still post here regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteZombie View Post
Do you guys know for sure the belt actually broke? Or just happened to see it was loose/misaligned/off the cam gears/pulleys with the cover off?

Best timing setup I could find that was reasonably priced with a quality belt and Japanese bearings in all pulleys/Japanese tensioner was the Aisin TKF004 timing kit from RockAuto at about $260. Beware of some Gates or parts store cheapie kits that may still contain Chinese bearings in pulleys, which some have had problems with. Not sure if it has been rectified since I was doing timing kit research last winter.

True, the Aisin kits look legit. I believe those kits are on ebay as well. Definitely don't want to risk any more than needed by using kits with chinese bearings though. The bearings are already stressed enough as it is and quality control still hasn't caught up in China.

Last edited by 2slofouru; 11-22-2019 at 09:58 PM.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #27
RocketFoot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 508477
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slofouru View Post
It's cake swapping these longblocks, especially if you don't need to remove the intake manifold. If you remove the manifold, you risk damaging the two intake port gaskets. You will be surprised how easy it is. That's one of the things I appreciate about the imprezas. The engine harness disconnects easily, alternator is super easy to swap, fuel lines easy to disconnect, etc. The part that takes longest is pulling the engine out of the transmission and lining it up to slide back in, still not horrible. Spark plug changes are sort of crappy, but if you use iridiums you have a long time between swaps.

Sucks the engine let go, but it's a tiny bump in the road if you make sure the next block has new timing components and your son keeps oil changes up. He's not going to care about this engine issue ten years from now, not sure where that nonsense came from. I've had two first gen imprezas and one second gen and they've been worth any of the problems they've ever had. Amazes me how a few cynical people regularly come on this forum and gripe about the cars...yet still post here regularly.

True, the Aisin kits look legit. I believe those kits are on ebay as well. Definitely don't want to risk any more than needed by using kits with chinese bearings though. The bearings are already stressed enough as it is and quality control still hasn't caught up in China.
Long block is coming today and we ordered the Aisin TFK-004 kit, some new intake and exh gaskets just in case and a new Exedy OEM style clutch to replace the racing 6 paddle clutch the PO had installed! The parts are coming from Rock Auto...prices were better than ebay or amazon!
Thanks for the good words! I hope it goes easy and fires right up! I need this thing out of my garage soon! LOL!
RocketFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #28
WhiteZombie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338863
Vehicle:
PSM 05 WRX WGN 5MT
95 Caprice 6spd Track Rat

Cool! Good to hear. Fun cars when they're working right, if not a little maintenance intensive, haha.

Once upon a time I had an OBS wagon with the venerable EJ22, replaced the belt but not the pulleys..... about 20k later the car crapped out in stop and go highway traffic. Wouldn't start back up.... something was off....

Pulled the timing cover off at home to find ball bearings all over inside the case, an exploded idler pulley bearing(the toothed one) and the belt hanging off. Almost wrote the motor off immediately, but kept digging. Turns out when the bearing exploded, the bouncing ball bearings immediately took out the crank sensor, which immediately shut the motor down, before there was any terminal valve interference. New timing kit and everything ran peachy for another 50k.

Not sure anybody else may ever get that lucky, but it's worth digging a little deeper sometimes!

Have fun and keep us posted.
WhiteZombie is offline   Reply With Quote