Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 14, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-19-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
Tekkie1988
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507596
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
A/T

Unhappy Dodgy Engine Swap (warranty): Please help me sort this out

Hi everyone, this is my first post here after a bit of time searching / browsing

Currently feeling ripped off / annoyed and need advice after my dealer did about half the job finding me a new engine under warranty.

I'll try to keep the negatives and tmi to a minimum...
Here is my situation:
  • Purchased an '05 w/ 2.5L RS trim in the fall, from a used car dealer.
  • Timing belt failed within a month (the mechanic told me not to worry i would have changed it)
  • They could not find an engine. So I recommended JDM in January as option.
  • Just got my car back today. Feels like they did a half-ass job.

The mechanics told me they needed to install the JDM ECU (if they didn't even lie about it being JDM) and swap out the harness as well. But they didn't lol.

Right now I am left with an engine that is mismatched (think it has vvti?)

V25 BLOCK CODE

Can anyone tell me anything about what my engine may be (like what service manual to look up)? (or plz / sry how can i help you help me?)

And also the idle is kind of rough:

UNPLUGGED SENSORS

Is there any durability issues driving without these two sensors?

What are these sensors please?

Some other issues I find the low rpm the car is sluggish.

I get a very quick high pitch rattle (almost like a buzzer) if the 4EAT shifts at 4k+ rpm or if I release throttle @ 4k+ rpm!!

While I'm very dissapointed with their service, I'm just very happy to get my car back despite these issues... willing to try and fix it myself unless you guys think I should really just go after him legally and get it fixed?
Tekkie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #2
speedracer48
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512738
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Black

This is the first time I have used this forum. I have a 2015 Wrx with a K&N typhoon air intake and Nameless muffler deletes. The car came with an SPT/Sti exhaust. I am looking to tune the car to Stage 2 from COBB. Would I need a J-pipe or would the car be fine without the J-pipe?
speedracer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:48 PM   #3
honeybucket
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 505996
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer48 View Post
This is the first time I have used this forum. I have a 2015 Wrx with a K&N typhoon air intake and Nameless muffler deletes. The car came with an SPT/Sti exhaust. I am looking to tune the car to Stage 2 from COBB. Would I need a J-pipe or would the car be fine without the J-pipe?
You're doing it wrong.
honeybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

They bought a JDM engine? Whata buncha morons. If they simply found any USDM EJ25 in a junkyard, they'd make it work pretty easily. There are a bajillion Foresters in the yard I'm going to tomorrow.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:18 PM   #5
Tekkie1988
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507596
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer48 View Post
Sounds fun! Next time do New Thread, not reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
They bought a JDM engine? Whata buncha morons. If they simply found any USDM EJ25 in a junkyard, they'd make it work pretty easily. There are a bajillion Foresters in the yard I'm going to tomorrow.
They really either could not source or boss was too lazy / cheap (?!)

To me it's believable that no junkyards would be out of USDM engines without issues, in winter time. (Snowed in junk yards -- very cold)

Their supplier sent them like 2-3 incompatible USDM engines or with blown head gaskets (warped heads maybe) or needing new heads... etc

I'm having a hard time seeing if I truly got ripped off, or if I'm to continue where they left off (I'm sympathetic to a fault in life) ...

The mechanic had experience with JDM but the cutoff point was the time / installation price. I do want to finish it.

-----------------

Is this on the right track?
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...t=avls+sensors

I soon will redo the main fuse box (corrosion) and was about to pull the dash for a radio install anyways...

Any suggestions?

So ideally if I can fix this myself I'm more than glad to learn while doing it under quarantine lol!!
Tekkie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote