Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 12, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
thedipstick
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 175849
OMGHi2U New to post, been here since 08'

Hey guys and gals! I joined this forum back in 08 shortly after buying my 06 Impreza Outback Sport. I've been a creeper on here and never needed to post anything. Our Subie started out as my wife's car, kids used it during high school and we have kept it for a spare since. This car has been phenomenal and had very minor issues. I now use it mostly drive it now and let my new truck sit, I'm putting too many miles on my 19'. The Subie isn't worth much but is too great a car to sell for $1500-2000. I love custom vehicles and have never driven a stock car until now... So I purchased new wheels and tires, suspension, headlights and a new audio system, plus some other bits. The car won't be worth what I am putting into it, I get it.

The car is peppy but needs boost. I read all over not to waste the money for a swap or turbo add, and to just buy what a new car instead... But I don't want to spend $9-11k on a decent hawkeye WRX that most likely wasn't taken care of like mine. I see many same year WRX's on Copart for auction at a decent price (roughly$2k). So that's my plan, pick up a totaled WRX, same year that I am assuming can most likely easily swap over. I can do all the work myself so that saves on cost as well. Ive done many swaps over the years but I have never modded a Subaru. Making this swap will make me happy, I will have more pep in my step.

Any tips or trick, anything I should watch out for? Spending $2k better on a donor car or boosting the existing set up? I still want the reliability and not looking for huge gains.

Thanks in advance! Pic of the lucky girl. Tried embedding photo with no luck. Only one I have at the moment.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...pfZXBORzVxamR3

thedipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Your plan is exactly what I would do. It's even possible with a wrecked WRX that you can start the car. With the wrecked donor car, you know that every part you need will be there. Down to simply transplanting the entire wiring harness (I've done this, and it makes life so simple.....you finish, put in a battery and the car starts).

On the pictures, you need to put your pictures into the nasioc hosting page first. Make an account on img.nasioc.com with your username. Then at the bottom of the picture, scroll through the codes to the BB code. Hit copy and ctl-V here.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
thatgarrett
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497099
Vehicle:
2007 Outback Sport
Urban Gray

Id get a donor, that way you would have everything you need and use it as a guide to see how it will all fit together in yours. Might want to get the engine looked over/refreshed if you go that route, which could add some cost but that seems to be the easiest if youre doing it yourself. Ive not done a swap, just some research so YMMV and Id definitely take the advice of someone who has already done it successfully first!
thatgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
thedipstick
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Your plan is exactly what I would do. It's even possible with a wrecked WRX that you can start the car. With the wrecked donor car, you know that every part you need will be there. Down to simply transplanting the entire wiring harness (I've done this, and it makes life so simple.....you finish, put in a battery and the car starts).

On the pictures, you need to put your pictures into the nasioc hosting page first. Make an account on img.nasioc.com with your username. Then at the bottom of the picture, scroll through the codes to the BB code. Hit copy and ctl-V here.

Yeah I've only been looking at starting and driveable cars, I want to be sure I can get a decent drive train as well to swap over. Can't think of an easier way to swap

Thanks for the tip i will work on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgarrett View Post
Id get a donor, that way you would have everything you need and use it as a guide to see how it will all fit together in yours. Might want to get the engine looked over/refreshed if you go that route, which could add some cost but that seems to be the easiest if youre doing it yourself. Ive not done a swap, just some research so YMMV and Id definitely take the advice of someone who has already done it successfully first!

Agreed on this, internals will already be designed for boost. Looking for one with zero to little mods hoping that they weren't beat to hell. I will definitely check compression while I have the donor motor out, inspect oil, coolant etc. I will also take care of the head gaskets while out and timing overhaul to make life easier, not knowing its history. I think as long as I stick with the 06-07 I should have zero fitment issues and I'm hoping someone on here has done this exact swap with a bit of knowledge and advice.

Most of the time when I look a swap up, everyone is just jumping in to try and stop the individual instead of offering them advice on how to achieve what they are wanting to do. I read about some of the craziest swaps sometimes, and know anything can be done, so this should be a piece of cake. And considering this car has paid itself over and over again, dropping $2-$3k into it is nothing. I cant buy what I want for that, even if I sold it and added the money to the pile.

I will keep looking into this and taking in all the advice and info I can, I will keep it documented and publish it here.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
thedipstick
Scooby Newbie

Nothing exciting yet...

Old 05-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
thedipstick
Scooby Newbie

Goal is also to find one with or purchase a FMIC to avoid needing the scooped hood. Avoids paint and hides whats under the hood.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #7
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedipstick View Post
Goal is also to find one with or purchase a FMIC to avoid needing the scooped hood. Avoids paint and hides whats under the hood.
You may be able to horse trade. Having a donor WRX and top mount, you may be able to trade the top mount for a front mount. I bought a WRX that had a front mount and was working with people to trade away for a top mount, but I would have needed a hood too.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #8
thedipstick
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
You may be able to horse trade. Having a donor WRX and top mount, you may be able to trade the top mount for a front mount. I bought a WRX that had a front mount and was working with people to trade away for a top mount, but I would have needed a hood too.
Good call!