Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
Grams79
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482312
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza Wgn 2.5
Dark blue

Default 2006 Impreza wagon NA rear strut and spring questions

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums and I have a question about rear struts.
I've got a 160k and a squawky passenger side rear strut. I've replaced struts and springs on other vehicles in the past. I would like to purchase a rear strut and spring combo and install them myself.

My question is what rear strut and spring sets will work for my 2006 Impreza Wagon?
When I search for parts online there are listings for sedans and other Subaru models such as the Outback and Legacy. Are rear strut and spring sets the same for each vehicle model of the same year?

I do plan on bringing it for a rear alignment after I'm done with the work.
And just so that I don't screw myself being such a newbie with my first Subie does anybody have any tips that will keep me out of trouble.

Here is a link to a video I found that's going to help me along the way and I hope that it's close to the same process I will be going through myself with my Impreza, except I won't be working with compressing springs because I'm going to buy a pre-compressed set.
https://youtu.be/LT9fE2Y_4gQ

Last edited by Grams79; 02-19-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Grams79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Yeah, lots of places give replacements for sedans, not many for wagons.
Sigh......wagon owner.......

If you keep your rear loads down, sedan stuff will likely be fine.
If your springs are not broken, I "believe" struts are the same for the same year and model.

Maybe get friendly with a local shop, you bring struts, they do the swap.
Or, you buy/rent the spring compressor and do the work yourself.

Either way, get an alignment afterwards.

For me, I work with some local alignment shops. I may get a "before swap" alignment check done with a stipulation that I will be back for a full alignment. If I was happy with handling before work, I have known settings before suspension work.
Then, I do most work, then have the shop do a full 4 wheel alignment and give before/after printout.
Then I can compare to before I did any work.

Just what I do, YMMV.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
jamal
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71875

It needs to be for a 2004-2007 Impreza or wrx wagon. The sedan struts are different because the sedan has a wider track, and you want to avoid using sedan specific struts if possible. And definitely don't put just one sedan strut on a single corner. The legacy/outback from those years uses a completely different suspension design.

Swapping just one corner is usually not ideal, especially if you are using a pre-assembled assembly from who knows where. It's better to replace all the struts together but if you have to, just do the rear pair. And then re-use your springs and stuff if you're really on a budget. There is not much preload on the rear springs on those so you barely need a spring compressor to take off the top mounts.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
It needs to be for a 2004-2007 Impreza or wrx wagon. The sedan struts are different because the sedan has a wider track, and you want to avoid using sedan specific struts if possible. And definitely don't put just one sedan strut on a single corner. The legacy/outback from those years uses a completely different suspension design.

Swapping just one corner is usually not ideal, especially if you are using a pre-assembled assembly from who knows where. It's better to replace all the struts together but if you have to, just do the rear pair. And then re-use your springs and stuff if you're really on a budget. There is not much preload on the rear springs on those so you barely need a spring compressor to take off the top mounts.
Really? Not arguing, I know some had different lateral links and axles due to different track width.
I will admit, I never compared strut part numbers between sedan and wagon.

I DO know wagons usually had stiffer rear springs.....part of my issue since I tend to carry loads or pull trailers.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 02-19-2018 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Add last line.....
Old 02-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
jamal
Scooby Guru

All 02-07 sedans are about 20mm wider than all the wagons, wrx or not. 05-07 sti rear track is slightly wider than the 04 and wrx.

The lower tabs stick out farther on the sedan and the mounting holes are farther away from the body of the strut. So if you put them on a wagon, they don't exactly want to be in that position/angle and also will result in zero to positive camber without bolts.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

OK, cool, thanks for the info.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:01 AM   #7
Grams79
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza Wgn 2.5
Dark blue

Awesome thanks Charlie and Jamal.
That info that you both provided was the security blanket that I needed to be confident before I was to purchase anything and approach it myself. Very cool again thanks both of you, you both helped me out a lot.

But just to let everyone know locating struts for the wagon in particular is not an easy thing to do, I have been searching for over an hour now and I can only find sedan.
No wonder the guy at the shop the other day spent 35 minutes on the computer just to tell me that the job would cost $968.
If I can locate struts that will work I'll do all the compression and boot replacement Etc myself no complaints, except the alignment naturally.

Last edited by Grams79; 02-20-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:00 AM   #8
jamal
Scooby Guru

KYB excel-G 04-07 wagon rear struts are part numbers 334356 and 334357. somewhere in the $90 a piece range.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
Grams79
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza Wgn 2.5
Dark blue

Thanks again Jamal.
Is it possible that some of these places are listing the Impreza Wagon as Impreza Outback???
AutoZone's website seems to do that but I've never heard of an Impreza Outback.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
Grams79
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza Wgn 2.5
Dark blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
KYB excel-G 04-07 wagon rear struts are part numbers 334356 and 334357. somewhere in the $90 a piece range.
I'm guessing that one is passenger and the other is driver side for each of the two numbers.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams79 View Post
I'm guessing that one is passenger and the other is driver side for each of the two numbers.
Yes, quite a few cars have a PN for each corner, regardless of brand/model car. Mostly relates to tab for brake line, but there may be other things as well.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #12
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams79 View Post
Thanks again Jamal.
Is it possible that some of these places are listing the Impreza Wagon as Impreza Outback???
AutoZone's website seems to do that but I've never heard of an Impreza Outback.
"Impreza Outback" is commonly known as an, "Outback Sport". Most Impreza parts fit an Outback Sport.
Biggest differences are......
OBS is 2 tone body color
OBS is a little higher

Yes, there are other differences, but those are the main ones I can think of.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
jamal
Scooby Guru

Pretty sure the impreza outback / outback sport does still use the same struts as the regular impreza though, and just the springs make up the difference. If there even is one. SGP seems to list the same spring for both.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
Grams79
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza Wgn 2.5
Dark blue

Parts are going to be ordered at the beginning of March. I'll finish up the work myself and post after the endeavor is successful.
Extremely helpful information you guys are awesome.