Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
riccnick
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 311152
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Ice Silver Metallic

Default 2012 Impreza 2.0i Stability Control Function

Just purchased a 2012 Impreza 2.0i Premium with the All Weather, Alloy, and Moonroof Package. It is the CVT model (5-spds were a month out). Got the chance to test out the AWD yesterday after work. Came home to 8 inches of heavy, crusty snow on the driveway. Long story short, it works great. However, I was playing around on my road (also not plowed) and tried to turn off the Vehicle Stability Control to see how differently the AWD would operate without the traction control and skid control chomping at the brakes. It didn't operate any differently! I have consulted my owners manual, the .pdf owners manual on the mysubaru.com site, searched this site, and checked for TSB's on nhtsa.gov. The only conclusion that I have come up with is that the button does not actually deactivate the VSC (therefore making the owners manual incorrect), or that there is something wrong with my car. I've been reading through this forum for about two hours now, and I've read all the posts regarding different functionality for different years, and for the STi. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks for hanging in there, I know its a lot to read, lol.
riccnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
subiTWO
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 273054
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT HB

It turns off *traction* control.
subiTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
riccnick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiTWO View Post
It turns off *traction* control.
It says that in the manual, along with disabling the skid control function. However, in real life, it does not. At least in my car.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
iLoki
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 309949
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
Pure Red

I think 'weakens' it is a more accurate term.
iLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
riccnick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoki View Post
I think 'weakens' it is a more accurate term.

Yeah, Just tried another experiment yesterday with the on and off button. With the VSC on, the traction control clamps down / cuts throttle so that it won't rev past about 3,000 RPM. However with VSC off, the throttle is not limited and will rev up as high as you want, even though the brakes are still chomping away at the spinning tires. Found that it actually transfers torque a little better like this (at about 4,500 rpm, as high as I felt comfortable letting it go), I'm sure at the expense of the brakes and drivetrain components.

Still, like I noted before, it will not allow any rotation of the chassis without the VSC killing it.

As far as a solution? My only thought is to find out where the gyrometer (yaw sensor) is in the car, and install a switch to kill power to it or something. This would effectively not allow the car to sense yaw (rotation). However I'm not completely sure it would have any effect on the intervention of the traction control. And it may just immobilize the car completely, depending on if the computer knows what to do without the gyrometer. My thoughts are that if any sort of mod is completed, all warranties will be void.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Alairmore
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 309242
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Blue

No I wouldn't even say it weekends it, in my experience it's the exactly the same with it off as it is on. It does turn off the torque reduction part though so you can spin your wheels but that's it. I'm really mad about this too and iv been trying all kinds of ways to turn it off fully.
Alairmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
Alairmore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Blue

We really need to find a way to disable this fully. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
subiTWO
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 273054
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT HB

Haha!

I was just thinking about how much I hated the drive home yesterday, in a blizzard, cause I couldn't 4-wheel drift it! It's nice to see others like to do that, too.

Although you actually *can* drift it, as long as you don't turn the steering wheel off of 'center' once you get the chassis angles off of the direction of travel.
subiTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
Alairmore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Blue

Is this the same with sport models? Can anyone with a sport chime in and let us know if your able to fully disable your VDC "stability control"
Old 03-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
MINIz guy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305218
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Sport Premium 5-speed here. Cannot fully disable VDC.

I'd like to when I start autocrossing so I hope there is a bypass!
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Alairmore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIz guy
Sport Premium 5-speed here. Cannot fully disable VDC.

I'd like to when I start autocrossing so I hope there is a bypass!
Thanks for the input. There has got to be a work around or some kind of posses to disable it fully, something like the trick to turn off the seatbelt chime or like the lexus and toyotas were you pump the brake and parking brake in a certain sequence.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Alairmore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Blue

Old 03-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Furiousd1983
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 295099
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2017 Wind-up car
Gray

I could not find an article on the internet but I swear I read it somewhere recently. At some point in the near "The nanny state" is putting regulations in effect that will outlaw TCS overrides on cars. On my 2009 Wrangler. You could "turn off" the TSC but It wasn't really off. Just reduced. It would completely shut off in 4Low because 4low vs. Traction control fighting back ends badly!
Furiousd1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
cnlson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 310098
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza PremCVT
Dark Cherry Pearl

how are you trying to turn it off? press and release? press and hold? press hold and watch it cycle?
i believe each does something different
cnlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
riccnick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnlson View Post
how are you trying to turn it off? press and release? press and hold? press hold and watch it cycle?
Tried all of these combo's:

Default is VSC on when the car is started. Traction control on, Skid control on, Engine Management on.

#1) One press while driving: VSC off light comes on, traction control is on, VSC is on, Engine management (killing throttle while wheels slip) is off.

#2) One press while car is stopped, but still in gear (Drive): Same results as #1.

#3) Press and hold for different intervals, while car is stopped and while in motion. 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds: Same results as #1.

#4) Press and hold for 30 seconds, while car is stopped and while in motion: VSC Off light is ON for 30 seconds, then shuts OFF. VSC button no longer responds to pressing. Vehicle systems act in default setting. Shut off car, turn it back on, VSC button operates normally. Owners manual confirms this function.

The thing I don't get is that the owners manual says:
"Pressing the switch to deactivate the Vehicle Dynamics Control system can facilitate the following operations.
-A standing start on a steeply sloping road with a snowy, gravel-covered, or otherwise slippery surface
-Extrication of the vehicle when its wheels are stuck in mud or deep snow.
When the switch is pressed during engine operation, the Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF indicator light on the combination meter illuminates. The Vehicle Dynamics Control system will be deactivated and the vehicle will behave like a model not equipped with the Vehicle Dynamics Control system. When the switch is pressed again to reactivate the Vehicle Dynamics Control system, the Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF indicator light turns off. With the Vehicle Dynamics Control system deactivated, traction and stability enhancement offered by Vehicle Dynamics Control system is unavailable. Therefore you should not deactivate the Vehicle Dynamics Control system except under above-mentioned situations.
NOTE:
-The Vehicle Dynamics Control system will be activated automatically when the engine is started. If the switch is held down for 30 seconds or longer, the indicator light turns off, the Vehicle Dynamics Control system is activated, and the system ignores any further pressing of the switch. To make the switch usable again, turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK” position and restart the engine.
-When the switch is pressed to deactivate the Vehicle Dynamics Control system, the vehicle’s running performance is comparable with that of a vehicle that does not have a Vehicle Dynamics Control system. Do not deactivate the Vehicle Dynamics Control system except when absolutely necessary.
-Even when the Vehicle Dynamics Control system is deactivated, components of the brake control system may still activate. When the brake control system is activated, the Vehicle Dynamics Control operation indicator light flashes.

According to this, the Traction control, Skid control, and Engine Management should be off. Until you get to the last two lines, where it says they may still be on? Doesn't make any sense.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
Alairmore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccnick View Post
Tried all of these combo's:

Default is VSC on when the car is started. Traction control on, Skid control on, Engine Management on.

#1) One press while driving: VSC off light comes on, traction control is on, VSC is on, Engine management (killing throttle while wheels slip) is off.

#2) One press while car is stopped, but still in gear (Drive): Same results as #1.

#3) Press and hold for different intervals, while car is stopped and while in motion. 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds: Same results as #1.

#4) Press and hold for 30 seconds, while car is stopped and while in motion: VSC Off light is ON for 30 seconds, then shuts OFF. VSC button no longer responds to pressing. Vehicle systems act in default setting. Shut off car, turn it back on, VSC button operates normally. Owners manual confirms this function.

The thing I don't get is that the owners manual says:
"Pressing the switch to deactivate the Vehicle Dynamics Control system can facilitate the following operations.
-A standing start on a steeply sloping road with a snowy, gravel-covered, or otherwise slippery surface
-Extrication of the vehicle when its wheels are stuck in mud or deep snow.
When the switch is pressed during engine operation, the Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF indicator light on the combination meter illuminates. The Vehicle Dynamics Control system will be deactivated and the vehicle will behave like a model not equipped with the Vehicle Dynamics Control system. When the switch is pressed again to reactivate the Vehicle Dynamics Control system, the Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF indicator light turns off. With the Vehicle Dynamics Control system deactivated, traction and stability enhancement offered by Vehicle Dynamics Control system is unavailable. Therefore you should not deactivate the Vehicle Dynamics Control system except under above-mentioned situations.
NOTE:
-The Vehicle Dynamics Control system will be activated automatically when the engine is started. If the switch is held down for 30 seconds or longer, the indicator light turns off, the Vehicle Dynamics Control system is activated, and the system ignores any further pressing of the switch. To make the switch usable again, turn the ignition switch to the ***147;LOCK***148; position and restart the engine.
-When the switch is pressed to deactivate the Vehicle Dynamics Control system, the vehicle***146;s running performance is comparable with that of a vehicle that does not have a Vehicle Dynamics Control system. Do not deactivate the Vehicle Dynamics Control system except when absolutely necessary.
-Even when the Vehicle Dynamics Control system is deactivated, components of the brake control system may still activate. When the brake control system is activated, the Vehicle Dynamics Control operation indicator light flashes.

According to this, the Traction control, Skid control, and Engine Management should be off. Until you get to the last two lines, where it says they may still be on? Doesn't make any sense.
I feel your pain, I've tried all the same ways to disable VDC and maybe even a few more all with the same results.

I've even gone as far as pulling the fuse for VDC/ABS which did disable all traction control even abs but it also disabled power steering and that made the car pretty much imposable to drive.

There must be a way to fully disable the stability control "most likely hidden" and still leave ABS and power steering on.

Here's a short video I made when testing different methods.

Its hard to see in the video but the stability control was working and applying brakes to keep me from really being able to slide =(

Last edited by Alairmore; 03-06-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
Alairmore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnlson
Only the sti has the multi function traction control. But iv tried all the ways I could think of just in case with no luck, it still leaves stability control on.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #18
JamesWilson2
ForumWars Winner!

Member#: 196948
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2003 Forester
Silver

What you are still getting is EBD, even though TC and VDC are off. You can still autocross with it turned "OFF", just don't do a lot of trail braking or the system kicks on pretty violently.

I have gotten my '12 stuck in the mud, greatly sucked. Did not matter if TC/VDC was turned off or on, had to get pulled out. OEM 15" tires are terrible!

But you can autocross, my video from when I got the car, TC off, OEM 15" tires, CVT--

JamesWilson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #19
riccnick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alairmore View Post
I feel your pain, I've tried all the same ways to disable VDC and maybe even a few more all with the same results.

I've even gone as far as pulling the fuse for VDC/ABS which did disable all traction control even abs but it also disabled power steering and that made the car pretty much imposable to drive.

There must be a way to fully disable the stability control "most likely hidden" and still leave ABS and power steering on.

Here's a short video I made when testing different methods.

http://youtu.be/kU4ve5IirIQ

Its hard to see in the video but the stability control was working and applying brakes to keep me from really being able to slide =(
Thanks for the video. Good to know I'm not the only one out there doing donuts and sliding around! Did you have the VSC on or "off" in this vid? It doesn't look like the car let you get sideways very much at all. I'm going to try to find the Yaw Rate sensor underneath the center console and see if I can unplug it. Another option we all may have is to unplug one of the wheel speed sensors. Theoretically the ABS, Traction Control and VSC will all be non functioning, but the speedo should still work, and I hope the power steering will also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWilson2 View Post
What you are still getting is EBD, even though TC and VDC are off. You can still autocross with it turned "OFF", just don't do a lot of trail braking or the system kicks on pretty violently.

I have gotten my '12 stuck in the mud, greatly sucked. Did not matter if TC/VDC was turned off or on, had to get pulled out. OEM 15" tires are terrible!

But you can autocross, my video from when I got the car, TC off, OEM 15" tires, CVT--

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i autocross - YouTube
Another great video, thanks! Not to nitpick, but EBD, even though it is part of the other safety systems in this car, is not the culprit. EBD (Electronic Brake-Force Distribution) varies the brake balance from front to rear when it detects an uneven weight distribution. In default setting the brake balance may be about 60%/40% front to rear bias. But say if you have 500lbs in the trunk, more rear braking power can be utilized because the tires won't lock up as easily with the extra weight gluing them to the road. Its designed to take advantage of the maximum amount of braking force that can be applied to a wheel without making it lock up. EBD is only active when you are pressing on the brakes. What you may be feeling when trail braking is the VSC cutting in due to the aggressive change in both lateral and longitudinal acceleration combined. Or because the inside tires will be unloaded, this may simply be wheel lockup, where the ABS would intervene. Could be both, but the EBD is a non intrusive system, and probably would never be detectable by the driver.

Because you have a base model with the CVT, I would greatly appreciate if you wouldn't mind leaving some input on a topic I started about the "Sport" light in the center cluster. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2320551
Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #20
Alairmore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccnick View Post
Thanks for the video. Good to know I'm not the only one out there doing donuts and sliding around! Did you have the VSC on or "off" in this vid? It doesn't look like the car let you get sideways very much at all. I'm going to try to find the Yaw Rate sensor underneath the center console and see if I can unplug it. Another option we all may have is to unplug one of the wheel speed sensors. Theoretically the ABS, Traction Control and VSC will all be non functioning, but the speedo should still work, and I hope the power steering will also.
That was with with VSC OFF via the button on the dash and the transmission in manual mode. Yep your right as soon as the car starts to get a little slide and you counter steer to power through it will apply brakes to a wheel and kill your rotationwhich is fine if your mom is driving to get some milk in a snow storm but not when I'm trying to power slide around a dirt road.

And yeah I love sliding around doing donuts and "drifting" AWD cars in snow and gravel its so much fun and very controllable on its own with out a nanny system messing things up.

That would be awesome if you could find the yaw sensor potentially we could then hook up a switch to kill power to it.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #21
Xafen
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 306398
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Premium
Camellia Red

Slightly off-topic, but your awesome autocross video also showcases one of the 2 things that irk me just slightly. You have to turn the wheel a lot to get anywhere. Even just turning a corner takes a full 360 degree turn of the wheel. Yes it has an awesome turning radius, but I just wish it turned faster. (The only other thing I don't love about the car is no automatic locks =0)
Xafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
somebody else
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 21618
Chapter/Region: SCIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xafen View Post
Slightly off-topic, but your awesome autocross video also showcases one of the 2 things that irk me just slightly. You have to turn the wheel a lot to get anywhere. Even just turning a corner takes a full 360 degree turn of the wheel. Yes it has an awesome turning radius, but I just wish it turned faster.
THIS!!! ^ ^ ^ ^

It pretty much completely negates any usefulness of the floppy paddle shifters.
somebody else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
jsteg
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 329271
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xafen View Post
Slightly off-topic, but your awesome autocross video also showcases one of the 2 things that irk me just slightly. You have to turn the wheel a lot to get anywhere. Even just turning a corner takes a full 360 degree turn of the wheel. Yes it has an awesome turning radius, but I just wish it turned faster. (The only other thing I don't love about the car is no automatic locks =0)
Exaggerate much?!?!
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #24
pkL
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 313093
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Well not every car has a turning radius like a smart, so that's just pushing it. I actually think the turning radius is pretty good.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #25
79letour
*** Banned ***

Member#: 302570
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post
Well not every car has a turning radius like a smart, so that's just pushing it. I actually think the turning radius is pretty good.
The turning radius IS good! As good as any car I've owned. FEELS as tight as my 96 and 97 Jettas, and they were lauded for their U-turn abilities.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote