Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 14, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
garinhash
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 149670
Vehicle:
2002 impreza wrx
blue

Default 02 impreza headlight wiring issue

I receved some headlights recently, but the wiring was incorrect.
I wired the headlights to the D shape plug to what I had found when I searched around, I thought i had wired them correctly but I had issues with the lights after.

the driver's side would not light up at all.
and the high beam/low beams were reversed (low beams were lit when highs was turned on, when high beams were switched off the high beam lights would be on).

so I checked the wires and their colors.

passenger side:

yellow/red (I wired high beam to)
blue/white (common)
red (I wired low beam to)

driver side (did not light up at all):

yellow/red (I wired high beam to)
red/blue (common)
red (I wired low beam to)

is the wiring on my car screwed up??? i dont have any issue with my standard bugeye lighting (plugged right into the bulb itself).
garinhash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

What lights are they? If they're the cheap "projectors" sold on Ebay I wouldn't even bother with them, not only is the wiring wrong but the lighting is horrible.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
garinhash
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 impreza wrx
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
What lights are they? If they're the cheap "projectors" sold on Ebay I wouldn't even bother with them, not only is the wiring wrong but the lighting is horrible.
they are some cheap lights that used to be on ebay.
I also have some morette's that I havent used yet either for the same issue, was using these cheap lights to try to figure out the wiring so i wouldnt ruin the morette.
I also could never figure out how to propely wire the morette's because I am not sure what wires were supposed to go to the battery + and - terminals and the high/low/common pins.

since I am having issues with the general wiring I didnt want to go into the morette wiring yet.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Your common wires are correct and they supply fused power to the lights. As you noted, the red wire needs to go to both high beams and the yel/red wire needs to go to both low beams. If one side of the lights still doesn't work then you most likely have a bad fuse for that side of the lights or a bad connection to the common power lead for the lights on that side.

Last edited by Cougar4; 06-02-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
garinhash
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 impreza wrx
blue

hmm, ill have to recheck it after work when it gets light out (graveyard shift)

update:

ok, it seems this wiring I did was correct, when I plugged in the drivers side the 3 pins of the plug did not go in(cheap lights and cheap plugs I guess).

I'll wire my morettes this way, now I need to figure out what pair of wires go across the car to connect the lights together, and what pair go to the battery.

when I bought the morettes they were shipped separately, and instead of disconnecting the wires that went across the car to the other light they cut the wires, and cut the wires that went to the battery.
the difficult part is that the 2 sets of wires both have brown wires and both have red wires.

Last edited by garinhash; 06-03-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: update