Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday November 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports > Autocross

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #776
willub
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 245695
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
04 STi
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post

Well there's two up here. Mine's the one with wings and things. I'm not very useful on subie setup without driving it.

Are those lockout bolts the ones that stop the rear sub frame from shifting? Are those legal in SM?
Forgot there are two. So the red one then, nice.

Excited to finally race it this weekend, as I have yet to race with the new z2's and rpf1's, along with many other things.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
willub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #777
k-dogg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 115961
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lake Tahoe, NV
Vehicle:
2005 Wide STi Wagon
WR BLUE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
They're legal in SP. There was a clarification several years ago for an ESP WRX so SM gets it through inheritance.
Oh really? I always thought those were illegal.
k-dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #778
sigterm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 264104
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: Hawaii
Vehicle:
05 STi
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
How am I just finding this thread?
Bout time!
sigterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #779
WRX8XB
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 45323
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
MY05 Impreza WRX STi
Pastelito Racing & SFSOC

Default

you still haven't gotten an alignment willub!?!?!
WRX8XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #780
willub
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 245695
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
04 STi
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigterm View Post
Bout time!
Oh hey Sig!


Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX8XB View Post
you still haven't gotten an alignment willub!?!?!
Must be Drew Nope. My toe adjustment bolts are locked in place. I'm probably gonna need to do some cutting to get them out. Ask sigterm, they suck!
willub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #781
jprice130
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 288225
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Harrisburg, NC
Vehicle:
2014 BRZ
WRB

Default

My eyes might be deceiving me, but I thought I saw a certain white Impreza RS signed up in SM for the North Carolina AutoX Championship....Is it true? Is it really going to happen?
jprice130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #782
carolinachill
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177842
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
white

Default

Cannot wait to see the white beast back at the NCAC, I was present when the motor locked up at Dixie. I need someone fast in SM to try and catch to make me faster.
carolinachill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #783
04trailsti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179170
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Behind the wheel
Vehicle:
2005

Default

Ill drive your car old man
04trailsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #784
carolinachill
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177842
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
white

Default

I believe that you drove my car at last years NCAC and beat me young man. I have someone older than me co driving with me at this years NCAC, David Upchurch. We are trying to find a nursing home to sponsor us because of our advanced age. Adam, you back in the good old USA?
carolinachill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #785
T-37
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175624
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
0304 WRX WRX
SY WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
Still, I'm jealous of the Evo beam. I'm really hoping the letter I wrote prompts some discussion on modifying the front beam. If not, I'll stick with the stock location and grumble loudly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
No, I knew that I could do that, but there's no way I could justify it under the 1lbs/1" rule I'd be notching a lot more than is allowed to get things to fit. FMIC fitment? Yeah, I could do that, but doing a low mount turbo with FMIC....nope.
Has there ever been a response to your letter? I don't really know how the process works. Would they typically write a response in a fasttrack - either a "thanks for your letter" or an actual response? Do more people need to write in in order to get a response?
T-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #786
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Dusty

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice130 View Post
My eyes might be deceiving me, but I thought I saw a certain white Impreza RS signed up in SM for the North Carolina AutoX Championship....Is it true? Is it really going to happen?
It started up a week ago today, and I'm hoping to have it tuned on pump 93 by the end of the week. I already did a rough alignment in the garage, but will probably bribe Zimmer to help corner balance and fine tune align next week. Then bolt on some 2 year old A6's and show up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinachill View Post
Cannot wait to see the white beast back at the NCAC, I was present when the motor locked up at Dixie. I need someone fast in SM to try and catch to make me faster.
We'll have a good battle I'm sure. I'm using the event as a test and tune since most of the drivetrain is new and I'll be re-adjusting. I'm getting my excuses in early here

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-37 View Post
Has there ever been a response to your letter? I don't really know how the process works. Would they typically write a response in a fasttrack - either a "thanks for your letter" or an actual response? Do more people need to write in in order to get a response?
They responded and said "nope". If you write a letter they give you a letter number, then you get an email letting you know which fastracks it'll be in.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #787
04trailsti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179170
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Behind the wheel
Vehicle:
2005

Default

No Leroy I'm not back yet, but as you seen on Facebook I picked up a slow car so I still owe you a co drive if you ever need one. I told you I was getting away from these heavy suby pigs and getting a well balanced car. As much as I'm going to miss AWD drifts and 6500k clutch dumps I'm going to enjoy $100 tires just as much.
04trailsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #788
carolinachill
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177842
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
white

Default

Adam, I like your new car and it makes a lot of sense not to have to R-comps any more. I am in way to deep to get out now. When you getting back?
carolinachill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #789
Subby-tech
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 371058
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Eastern PA
Vehicle:
07 Wrx

Default

bump>>>
Subby-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #790
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Dusty

Default

*crickets*
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #791
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
*crickets*
I heard you actually drove you car. Any synopsis?
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #792
visibiliti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 211987
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

16.1.C Brakes, including calipers, caliper mounts, disks, drums, lines, backing
plates, pedals, boosters, master cylinders, handles, ABS systems,
proportioning valves, etc., are unrestricted.

So the brake pedal is unrestricted, but there are no allowances for accelerator pedal or clutch pedal?

Main question: Can you replace entire pedal assembly with an aftermarket lightweight pedal assembly within the spirit of SM rules, or is this a definite 'no'?

If it is a definite 'no', why the allowance for unrestricted brake pedal? Seems weird that you would change just one pedal, or am I missing something? What benefit could changing just the brake pedal itself give you?
visibiliti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #793
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Its to make fitting dual master cylinders and a bias bar easier I would think.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #794
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Dusty

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
I heard you actually drove you car. Any synopsis?
The anti-lag launch control is fun

Slipping camber bolts are da debbil

I need to not be such a dirty boy and get clean runs


I think I could write a book about it so far, but lets just say that in very rough form it did better than I thought it would. We had to align it several times, once in between runs, and it still ended with positive camber on the front by the end of day 2. Evidently 2.5 year old 90+ run hoosiers still have a lot of grip. The fender flares didn't fit those either so I had to raise the car up 2.25 inches and it still kinda rubbed.

I never touched suspension adjustments, and left the tires alone pressure wise (only sprayed them). Each run I would come back and know I left SECONDS out there, not just tenths. But each run I was reminded the learning curve was significantly different than an FSP car I think with another 3-4 events of T&T, cutting the fenders to get the CoG back down, and me re-learning that I'll be able to extract 90% of the car again.

The new diffs are AMAZING as well. Apply throttle anywhere and it just fscking goes whatever direction the front wheels are pointing. The only downside is, while you can string together two elements at full throttle, you'll be doing 60+ mph by the third and the car can only bend the laws of physics so much Also, when you figure out that you should shift to 3rd and see the speedo sweep past 70 going through walloms....a slight lift is needed to make the third wallom since I don't have any aero yet. The DCCDPro controller works great as well and was really the only adjustments I made for the weekend. Getting understeer during throttle application? Not a problem. Turn the knob to "Why yes, I do like to drive while looking out the side windows." and you'll be just fine on the next run.

The tune is still super safe as well since the knock sensor is not talking to the Haltech yet. 337 whp with a 7,300 rpm redline running 10.8 AFR and pretty low timing. Once the sensor is fixed we'll turn the timing up and lean it out a little. Probably tune for E85 at the same time and try to crack the 400 whp mark. Still, after driving FSP VW's and STS Miata's....it's fast to me

A few things to fix, and then off to another event where I'll actually touch suspension adjustments some. I've got 3-4 events left this year to use as testing, then probably 3-4 again before Dixie next year. By then the car should be much lower, with a real log book of the new shock valving and what it likes, E85 tune, and fresh tires.

TLDR Version: It's brilliant and I suck at driving it so far



subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #795
griceiv
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 162781
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visibiliti View Post
So the brake pedal is unrestricted, but there are no allowances for accelerator pedal or clutch pedal?

Main question: Can you replace entire pedal assembly with an aftermarket lightweight pedal assembly within the spirit of SM rules, or is this a definite 'no'?

If it is a definite 'no', why the allowance for unrestricted brake pedal? Seems weird that you would change just one pedal, or am I missing something? What benefit could changing just the brake pedal itself give you?
gas and clutch pedal get swooped up in the unlimited drivetrain allowances. You can certainly replace all the pedals but the question of weather you can swap in a full aftermarket pedal assembly really comes down to how much other things need to be modified to make it work. if you have to start hacking up interior and firewalls to make it work you're probably going too far.
griceiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #796
visibiliti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 211987
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

Thanks for the input.

It's not something that is on my immediate to do list, just something that crossed my mind after reading through the weight reduction thread.

I'm already close to minimum weight, but figured getting below min and ballasting back up is even better than being at minimum, depending on how you distribute the weight. Plus, I have fun theorizing and doing the actual prepping of the car itself, not just the racing.
visibiliti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #797
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Dusty

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visibiliti View Post
Thanks for the input.

It's not something that is on my immediate to do list, just something that crossed my mind after reading through the weight reduction thread.

I'm already close to minimum weight, but figured getting below min and ballasting back up is even better than being at minimum, depending on how you distribute the weight. Plus, I have fun theorizing and doing the actual prepping of the car itself, not just the racing.
Buy an early 90's GC chassis and swap your stuff into it. Mine without ballast and heavy STi seats is in the low 27xx range. If there were no minimum weights I could get to high 25xx in legal SM trim. If you started with an earlier, not so heavy GC (mine was a 2.5 RS) you could probably drop another 150 lbs off that.

As is, I'll be ballasting back up and trying to fix weight balance as much as possible.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #798
dwomp24
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 162988
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Manassas/ Lynchburg
Vehicle:
06 06 Sti SM&STU
IAG/EvoSchool/Osgiken

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
The anti-lag launch control is fun

Slipping camber bolts are da debbil

I need to not be such a dirty boy and get clean runs


I think I could write a book about it so far, but lets just say that in very rough form it did better than I thought it would. We had to align it several times, once in between runs, and it still ended with positive camber on the front by the end of day 2. Evidently 2.5 year old 90+ run hoosiers still have a lot of grip. The fender flares didn't fit those either so I had to raise the car up 2.25 inches and it still kinda rubbed.

I never touched suspension adjustments, and left the tires alone pressure wise (only sprayed them). Each run I would come back and know I left SECONDS out there, not just tenths. But each run I was reminded the learning curve was significantly different than an FSP car I think with another 3-4 events of T&T, cutting the fenders to get the CoG back down, and me re-learning that I'll be able to extract 90% of the car again.

The new diffs are AMAZING as well. Apply throttle anywhere and it just fscking goes whatever direction the front wheels are pointing. The only downside is, while you can string together two elements at full throttle, you'll be doing 60+ mph by the third and the car can only bend the laws of physics so much Also, when you figure out that you should shift to 3rd and see the speedo sweep past 70 going through walloms....a slight lift is needed to make the third wallom since I don't have any aero yet. The DCCDPro controller works great as well and was really the only adjustments I made for the weekend. Getting understeer during throttle application? Not a problem. Turn the knob to "Why yes, I do like to drive while looking out the side windows." and you'll be just fine on the next run.

The tune is still super safe as well since the knock sensor is not talking to the Haltech yet. 337 whp with a 7,300 rpm redline running 10.8 AFR and pretty low timing. Once the sensor is fixed we'll turn the timing up and lean it out a little. Probably tune for E85 at the same time and try to crack the 400 whp mark. Still, after driving FSP VW's and STS Miata's....it's fast to me

A few things to fix, and then off to another event where I'll actually touch suspension adjustments some. I've got 3-4 events left this year to use as testing, then probably 3-4 again before Dixie next year. By then the car should be much lower, with a real log book of the new shock valving and what it likes, E85 tune, and fresh tires.

TLDR Version: It's brilliant and I suck at driving it so far



Martin and I look forward to running against you in DIXIE! should be fun There arent may SM Subies competing at our level.
dwomp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #799
senna1a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 231943
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
2011 Sti
& '03 Bugeye

Default

So I've decided to start an SM build with my GR STi, none running nationally that I've seen ... but it will be a multi-year process. I'll more than likely shoot to get it up and running for our local SM Street-tire class in 2014, then add as time/money permits for 2015. Since I've been a predominately stock class driver over the last +20 years, I'll more than likely pick some folks brains on some things... looking forward to the build over the winter.
senna1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #800
Aczwild
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71721
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Charlotte, NC
Vehicle:
'98 RS (Racecar)
'13 Sierra, '16 BMW 328i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwomp24 View Post
Martin and I look forward to running against you in DIXIE! should be fun There arent may SM Subies competing at our level.
I wish I was done with my engine build/swap and I'd come out to play with my swapped coupe. Next year you'll have another player in the southern sm subie game
Aczwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will my trans swap put me automatically in Street Mod? RebelINS Autocross 6 07-22-2013 06:24 PM
I'm still legal for Street Mod right?(list inside) Davenow Motorsports 4 05-24-2003 04:21 AM
street mod tire question Jaxx Motorsports 2 02-20-2003 08:59 PM
Autocross class... Street Mod? Motohead1 South East Region Forum 11 06-26-2001 11:11 AM
Street Mod news Eric Technical Forum Archive 5 05-31-2000 03:33 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.