Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-20-2020, 12:55 AM   #1
bobsagator
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 457569
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo MT

Default Looking for a subtle drop

I think I have a blown rear left strut, so of course it's time for an upgrade. After reading thru THIS THREAD I am ready to try some Legacy struts for a little drop. But looking around, there aren't a lot of options for the Legacy either. I see the KYB GR-2s but I also stumbled on the Tein EnduraPro Plus. The Teins seem a bit more interesting because they are adjustable (16 options - really?). I searched the Baja forum for Endura with no results, so just wondering if anyone has tried them on the Baja yet.

Little background - converted Civic driver to the Baja. Did 1" drop on the Civic with KYB AGX shocks/struts and loved it. The KYBs are only 4 way adjustable but at least there is some adjustability. Not trying to recreate the handling of the Civic but trying to make the Baja even more fun on all of these twisty roads.

Not sure if its related, but while changing the oil I noticed my rear right endlink dangling. So I already have a Whiteline BSR12XZ swaybar and KLC144 Endlinks in the garage ready to go in. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
bobsagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
bobsagator
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo MT

Well, looks like late night searching proves ineffective with fresh morning eyes once again. Apparently the EnduraPro Plus are only for the BL/BP (2005-2009 Legacy) and it seems that I am looking for the BH. Yep, back to the limited options.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:25 AM   #3
bobsagator
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo MT

Still poking around trying to find something that fits. According to THIS POST the 2005 and 2009 STi struts fit. Looking at KYB data the 2003 Baja strut lengths are 20.96" front and 17.75" rear and the 2005 STi strut lengths are 19.84" and 16.25". That looks like 1" drop in front and 1.5" drop in rear. So this would be in addition to the 1" drop considering I have a 2006. Am I looking at this right or is there a flaw somewhere?

I can't find lengths for a 2009 STi so if anyone has info I'd appreciate it. Also can't find any stock height springs to avoid even more drop. Or should I actually be looking for lifting springs to counteract the excessive drop? I think the 1" to 2" drop is where I want to be to save axles and avoid rubbing.

I'm starting to think that I'm overcomplicating this. I know the '00-'04 Legacy wagon struts will give the 1" drop with stock springs but its hard for me to consider it a suspension upgrade if using stock springs. There has to be some magic combination to drop and get stiffer springs, and I would love adjustable struts too.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
bobsagator
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo MT

After much deliberation and delay, I think I am ready to get the following:
2004 Legacy KYB Excel-G struts
2004 Legacy King +1/4" springs

I am thinking this should give the 2" drop less the 1/4" lift and provide stiffer springs. If others have installed 04 stock springs without issue then the stiffer lift springs should definitely avoid any butt sag and hold the added weight of the Baja.

Planning on new getting new KYB top hats.

It looks like waiting has paid off since the struts are cheaper on Rock Auto now than they were a couple of months ago.

I am days away from purchasing, is there something that I am missing?
Old 02-28-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
Flowmastered87GL
WCSS Drunk

Member#: 8914
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Sport
Regal Blue Pearl

Since you have a 2004, why not just put on 2003 suspension? They are slightly lower. You might even get lucky and find someone with a 2003 that wants to trade to get a slight lift.
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #6
sumrandomoldg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463858
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Did you do the install for this? I have a rear strut that's going and I'm trying to find out what struts/springs I can combo for my 06.

Do you know if the JDM BP Bilsteins from an 04 legacy will fit?
sumrandomoldg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:35 PM   #7
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53558
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Bah. I need to check mine this weekend. I have a feeling I'm going to need new suspension soon, I've been going offroad a ton lately. Lots of logging roads, and snow driving.

As far as I know, the rear suspension in a Baja is completely unique from anything else. The rear top hats are lower and in a totally different place, compared to Legacy or Outback. I mean, the struts themselves might be the same, overall, but I somewhat doubt it.
Chi_San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:49 PM   #8
bobsagator
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumrandomoldg View Post
Did you do the install for this? I have a rear strut that's going and I'm trying to find out what struts/springs I can combo for my 06.

Do you know if the JDM BP Bilsteins from an 04 legacy will fit?
It seems that any for 04 Legacy will fit. Other thread had someone who installed Bilsteins and looked good but appeared to rub his tires (https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=50).

Starting install tonight, got all spring break to tinker with it.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #9
bobsagator
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo MT

Had a good start Monday and removed front shocks and disassembled. Feeling good. Then tried to assemble new shocks with new springs but the springs have a taper. Recheck RalliTek and site says KSFR-22 are for 2004 Legacy, verify springs are stamped with KSFR-22. Grab packing slip and it states "KSFR-22: Pair of 93-07 Impreza front raised". So there's the problem, so trolling around RalliTek site these springs are for Impreza/Frontier so therefore not for Legacy/Baja. Not feeling good anymore. Sent RalliTek email Monday night and still awaiting any response. I really hope they take care of this.

Continued last night and removed rear shocks. Feeling good again. Then snapped my hex socket trying to disassemble. This was supposed to be a fun week...
Old 03-17-2021, 08:17 PM   #10
bobsagator
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo MT

Now I am stuck. Called RalliTek and they basically said they do not have a 1/4" lift spring for the 2004 Legacy. Back to square 1 with a disassembled Baja in the garage. Sent questions to King Springs, not confident I'll get a response other than "we don't know" or "we don't make those anymore".

I'm afraid to start researching how to get Impreza springs on a Legacy because who knows what kind of lift or drop I'll end up with. My luck is the springs push an extra inch and my rears are lower than the fronts.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #11
bobsagator
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo MT

If anyone cares, King does not provide a front standard height spring for the Legacy. The rear spring is a "tow spring" to provide extra stiffness for those towing with their Legacy/Outback. So there it is. I have Legacy shocks and struts to lower the Baja and now have no springs to put on them.

My next avenue is lowering springs for the Legacy with a lift spacer to try to keep the standard height of the the Legacy to match the rear springs I already have, or just get all around lowering springs and lift spacers so they all "match". Seems stupid to get lowering springs then raise them with spacers, but this appears to be the only option to get stiffer springs without going any lower.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #12
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsagator View Post
If anyone cares, King does not provide a front standard height spring for the Legacy. The rear spring is a "tow spring" to provide extra stiffness for those towing with their Legacy/Outback. So there it is. I have Legacy shocks and struts to lower the Baja and now have no springs to put on them.

My next avenue is lowering springs for the Legacy with a lift spacer to try to keep the standard height of the the Legacy to match the rear springs I already have, or just get all around lowering springs and lift spacers so they all "match". Seems stupid to get lowering springs then raise them with spacers, but this appears to be the only option to get stiffer springs without going any lower.
Well, hopefully not inviting a 'that's what SHE said' comment, I hope you're prepared for really stiff. o.x

Why not go coilovers? I think there are options? Or are those mostly just for the Legacy? I've never actually looked into it. Maybe give xcelleration a call?

I'm opposite. I want a 1" lift, but I want much softer springs with a harder shock.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:40 PM   #13
bobsagator
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo MT

I thot coilovers for a minute or two but have heard too many horror stories of too stiff and too expensive but the look is great. I know she'll be more stiff but that's kinda what im looking for, just hopefully not too stiff.

I think I have settled on H&R springs with a 1" spacer. So quick math has 1" drop to the 03 Baja then 1" drop to the 04 Legacy plus 1.5" drop for springs less 1" lift spacer gets to 2.5" drop. I really hope 2" isn't the sweet spot for camber and happy axles but I guess we shall see. From my measurements before disassembly there was a good 3.5" wheel gap above the wheel so this should leave a good inch or so clear. Yeah, this is definitely going to work.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:39 PM   #14
bobsagator
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo MT

Wait a second, reading THIS THREAD again it seems that Impreza perches may solve my original problem. I thot Legacy and Impreza were completely different and not compatible, but it appears that if the perches would fit on the springs that I have and still mount to the top hat then there is no issue. IIRC the springs fit in the shock base just fine so maybe this is the silver bullet.

I think I may be heading to the Subie dealership tomorrow to get some perches and see if this will work with what I already have.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:33 PM   #15
bobsagator
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo MT

So I am (finally) calling Operation Baja Drop a success. Drove a couple hours to a Subaru dealership to pick up some Impreza perches and isolators, and viola she is all back together now. Took her for a quick spin and was a little hesitant on rainy roads but she took the curves and never squealed or slid.

Original measurements from bottom of fender and mud guard to ground compared to today is about 2" drop in front and 2 1/2" in rear. Now I got the rears installed last night and lowered the back off the stands so she had self weight on the wheels for about a day now. That may account for the extra drop, I'll keep an eye on it.

Of course the garage is dark and shadowy but you can really see a difference in the wheel gap above the wheels. What was 3 1/2" is now closer to 1 1/2" front and 1 1/4" rear. I can't wait to see her in the daylight.

Goal for tomorrow is to learn how to do an ALIGNMENT and see how it goes from there.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:49 AM   #16
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsagator View Post
So I am (finally) calling Operation Baja Drop a success. Drove a couple hours to a Subaru dealership to pick up some Impreza perches and isolators, and viola she is all back together now. Took her for a quick spin and was a little hesitant on rainy roads but she took the curves and never squealed or slid.

Original measurements from bottom of fender and mud guard to ground compared to today is about 2" drop in front and 2 1/2" in rear. Now I got the rears installed last night and lowered the back off the stands so she had self weight on the wheels for about a day now. That may account for the extra drop, I'll keep an eye on it.

Of course the garage is dark and shadowy but you can really see a difference in the wheel gap above the wheels. What was 3 1/2" is now closer to 1 1/2" front and 1 1/4" rear. I can't wait to see her in the daylight.

Goal for tomorrow is to learn how to do an ALIGNMENT and see how it goes from there.
Get a lifetime alignment form Les Schwab.

Every time you mess with your suspension, you just run it down to them, and they do it free from then on.