Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-28-2023, 08:43 PM   #376
JVILLA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 529350
Vehicle:
2021 WRX STi
Magnetite Gray Metallic

Are you using Group N or Group N competition bushing on your build? What are your thoughts on the two?
JVILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2023, 06:21 AM   #377
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 148335
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVILLA View Post
Are you using Group N or Group N competition bushing on your build? What are your thoughts on the two?

I went with the Regular Group N Trans mount over the Competition Mounts. The Group N is already very very stiff and has glorious transmission whine.

Group N bushings are the best compromise as far as bushings go. They are harder but still compliant for the street. Poly bushings are still great, but they can be a hassle sometimes
archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:19 AM   #378
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

A few months ago Rodger Clark Motorsports did a limited run on the now discontinued JDM Red SAMCO Radiator hoses that were an available option/upgrade through the STi catalog. I always wanted a set to upgrade to for the Cherry Blossom goodness, however I wasn't going to buy used radiator hoses nor spend $450 on a 10 year old set of them.

RCM did a limited run of GC,GD, and 08+ fitment for availability. I quickly ordered a set and waited for my package from England.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:22 PM   #379
impreza_al
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 534607

Baller and very commendable. OEM+ forever.
impreza_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:09 PM   #380
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

About 10 years ago I had a 2005 Legacy GT. Absolutely loved that car between the performance, looks, and luxury. Hands down the most "beautiful" car Subaru had ever made. Only issue was the glass 5eat transmission lol.

Well, I always drooled over the JDM STi S402. I remembered that that car had a lower floor mounted strut bar from the factory. As far as performance goes, rear strut bars don't do as much as the older GC/GD cars due to the placement of the strut mounting points on the newer cars.....

But I am a JDM whore and I was curious if it would fit the VAB. I assumed I could make it work with some "minor" fabrication. You can still source the part on JapanParts or BlackHawk Japan. Got it for $300 or so to my door.

Link is here https://www.blackhawkjapan.com/en-us...r-st2050321020

Well it fits after some modifications to the mounting brackets. But it looks great once the floor is reinstalled.

Overall fun little evening project to keep the mod bug alive.

Currently, the VF58 Setup has been absolutely dead reliable. The car feels...factory. No leaks, or vibrations, or anything of the sort. Almost like it was engineered to be this way lol

I bought my fiancé a 2023 Ascent Limited that arrives next week. Was able to convert her to the Subaru world from Honda. Should be great upgrade for us and the dogs.

Still would love to add the JDM STi lightweight flywheel, RCM Group N oil Pan and Pickup...

And the idea of hitting 400whp on this setup is still a dream just to prove the limits of the VF58. A 400whp OEM turbo that is making full boost at or before 3000rpms and carries all the way to redline and makes 400whp all on 93octane and under 20psi of boost.

My VF58 was not ported on the Exhaust side like Nick's was. I am waiting to see what Kyle, who bought Nick's VF58, gets on the Dyno out there in Washington. That VF58 has the TiAl Turbine and was ported. I am curious what the porting work does for spoolup and top end. In time.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:38 AM   #381
Aceshadowz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 535280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Ya, I haven't heard of any Type-RA's having major engine failures yet... Not a huge sample size, but even 2019s with the same block seem to be holding up better as well.

Travis at Snail Performance tunes mine right away though because in California we have 91 octane and the tune for the RA was setup for 93. The stock map doesn't like 91, so the tune I had was for saftey. Also did an IAG AOS right away for saftey as well.
Travis at Snail Performance puts the pro in pro tune =D
Aceshadowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 12:43 AM   #382
Aceshadowz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 535280

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer1.8 View Post

And the idea of hitting 400whp on this setup is still a dream just to prove the limits of the VF58. A 400whp OEM turbo that is making full boost at or before 3000rpms and carries all the way to redline and makes 400whp all on 93octane and under 20psi of boost.
400 whp on oem tubo on 93 would be quite an accomplishment.
i barely made 408 on Cobb 20G with nex gen flex fuel kit and built motor /w FBO.
if you can pull that off on 93 with oem turbo. think that might be guiness record
Aceshadowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 01:10 AM   #383
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshadowz View Post
400 whp on oem tubo on 93 would be quite an accomplishment.
i barely made 408 on Cobb 20G with nex gen flex fuel kit and built motor /w FBO.
if you can pull that off on 93 with oem turbo. think that might be guiness record
Need to find around 25hp lol. I know there are a few companies over seas that modify these turbos to compete in Spec class rally events. Oswald Performance? The somehow machine the compressor housing to get a new garret compressor wheel in there. At that point just go aftermarket.

I think porting on the exhaust housing and aftermarket header would get it close. But to stay OEM I am curious what a set of the Big Port Dual AVCS heads from the S20X/RA-R with Rodger Clark Motorsports reproduction Spec C cams from the 2007 RA-R would do.....
Old 10-04-2023, 06:47 AM   #384
SullenSenium
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 285810
Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI
WRB Pearl

What a thread
Exactly the type of build I aspire to pursue with my 2020 STI.
Beautiful in every aspect!
SullenSenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:10 PM   #385
Matthewbarcelona
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 535967
Vehicle:
2013 STI hatchback
SWP

Cool

Dope RA. Where did you get tuned at in NJ?
Matthewbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:39 AM   #386
96accord
Scooby Guru

Member#: 145105
Vehicle:
2015 Honda Accord

Quote:
First off, I wan't to say thanks to Prime Motoring and JRTuned for doing an incredible job on the RA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewbarcelona View Post
Dope RA. Where did you get tuned at in NJ?

Prime Motoring.
96accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 06:36 AM   #387
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

My tuning shop, Prime Motoring, got themselves an S209 this past week. They sorted out the small issue with it, and put it on their dyno. I was very curious to see the best possible comparison of the Vf58 and the HKS S209 Turbo on the same dyno with the same tuner.

Nick, who helped me source my VF58, plotted both of the dyno runs on the same graph to compare.

S209 Mods:
Stock S209 Turbo & Inlet
ETS Cold Air Intake
ETS 3" FMIC
ETS Max Flow V2 EL Header
Invidia Turboback Exhaust
Grimmspeed EWG Up-pipe w/@tialsport 38mm MVS
ID 1300cc Injectors
IBR Flex Fuel Kit
AEM 340lph Fuel Pump
Radium Engineering Fuel Rails & Fuel Pressure Regulator
KB Oil Pan
DSS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
ACT Twin Disk Clutch Kit

The S209 makes 15whp more above 5500rpms. If this had a stock header setup I bet the gains above 5500pms would be negligible.

The VF58 makes 23wtq more at peak, makes more of it everywhere and 500rpms sooner!

I now would love to take my P25 Twin Scroll housing and port it. I think with the extra flow it would match the S209's top end.

Its a pretty interesting comparison, but this is what I and a few others have been saying for so many years. Twin Scroll is worth the hassle.
Old 12-23-2023, 08:12 AM   #388
96accord
Scooby Guru

Member#: 145105
Vehicle:
2015 Honda Accord

Quote:
My tuning shop, Prime Motoring, got themselves an S209 this past week. They sorted out the small issue with it, and put it on their dyno. I was very curious to see the best possible comparison of the Vf58 and the HKS S209 Turbo on the same dyno with the same tuner.

I saw that on their Instagram!
96accord is offline   Reply With Quote