Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 22, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
BRGT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 406470
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
ISM

Default Any way to identify stock vs. aftermarket HID projector lens?

My HID headlight housing was modified by the last owner (painted black), but I cannot tell if they also made any component upgrades or not. I'd like to get some TSX-R lenses, but I don't want to go through the time and expense if they already have upgraded lenses. It is hard to tell if they are stock or not. Are there any visual cues that anyone knows of to determine of the lens is stock just by looking at it? Thank guys!
BRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
amiexploited
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 251061
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
18 Trek 6mt,
garage queen 15 WRX 6mt

What bulb does it use?
D2S right? If you remove the dust cap you should be able to see if it looks oem. Any aftermarket project would have some fab. If not look at oem sti projectors online to verify.
amiexploited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #3
blurred
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 47143

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT View Post
My HID headlight housing was modified by the last owner (painted black), but I cannot tell if they also made any component upgrades or not. I'd like to get some TSX-R lenses, but I don't want to go through the time and expense if they already have upgraded lenses. It is hard to tell if they are stock or not. Are there any visual cues that anyone knows of to determine of the lens is stock just by looking at it? Thank guys!
It's pretty simple actually. The tsx-r lens is clear, the oem lens is Fresnel which will appear cloudy/mottled/opaque

If they are clear you will also need to determine if there was already an upgraded projector fitted (or a downgraded projector if they sucked). OEM projector with clear lens, 50w ballast, and some good Philips xtreme vision (for ultimate brightness) or xtreme ultinon (for ultimate brightness in a cooler temp, although not as bright as the xtreme visions) bulbs is a great setup.
blurred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
BRGT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiexploited View Post
What bulb does it use?
D2S right? If you remove the dust cap you should be able to see if it looks oem. Any aftermarket project would have some fab. If not look at oem sti projectors online to verify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurred View Post
It's pretty simple actually. The tsx-r lens is clear, the oem lens is Fresnel which will appear cloudy/mottled/opaque

If they are clear you will also need to determine if there was already an upgraded projector fitted (or a downgraded projector if they sucked). OEM projector with clear lens, 50w ballast, and some good Philips xtreme vision (for ultimate brightness) or xtreme ultinon (for ultimate brightness in a cooler temp, although not as bright as the xtreme visions) bulbs is a great setup.
Great info, that will help a ton, I'll investigate more tonight I am hoping they left all of the hardware in place and didn't mess with it too much. The lens appears stock by your description. Is a ballast upgrade necessary if I just want to run a set of Osram bulbs like the CBI/CBH/CBB's? It looks like the 35w ballasts should support a bulb like that from what I'm seeing.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #5
blurred
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Great info, that will help a ton, I'll investigate more tonight I am hoping they left all of the hardware in place and didn't mess with it too much. The lens appears stock by your description. Is a ballast upgrade necessary if I just want to run a set of Osram bulbs like the CBI/CBH/CBB's? It looks like the 35w ballasts should support a bulb like that from what I'm seeing.
Yes, 35w is fine. I would recommend the Philips xtreme vision however as they are superior in every way to the Osram bulbs. at 50w all of the bulbs will get brighter but warmer so 35w will look great especially with the clear lens
Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
BRGT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
ISM

Quote:
Yes, 35w is fine. I would recommend the Philips xtreme vision however as they are superior in every way to the Osram bulbs. at 50w all of the bulbs will get brighter but warmer so 35w will look great especially with the clear lens
Is the Phillips better simply due to the slightly higher lumen output and warmer color? The color of that vs the CB's from Osram is probably more functional I imagine.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #7
blurred
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Is the Phillips better simply due to the slightly higher lumen output and warmer color? The color of that vs the CB's from Osram is probably more functional I imagine.
The colour is a little nicer (subjectively) , the output remains strong long term where the osram products tend to get weaker with age. If you ever decide to go 50w or upgrade projectors and do 50w they also stand up to the extra power far better than the osrams.

We have tested many of these in different projectors at different wattages and with different ages, over the past few years and philips always comes out better.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
BRGT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
ISM

Quote:
The colour is a little nicer (subjectively) , the output remains strong long term where the osram products tend to get weaker with age. If you ever decide to go 50w or upgrade projectors and do 50w they also stand up to the extra power far better than the osrams.

We have tested many of these in different projectors at different wattages and with different ages, over the past few years and philips always comes out better.
Good to know, thank you for the info! Would you say that the Extreme Vision appears a pure white? Or is there still a little bit of warmth in it? I know its rated at 4800k but K ratings and manufacturers seem to vary a bit with their "stated" vs actual coloring. CBB for example is rated around 7000k (I think) but supposedly looks more like 6000k.