Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Strange WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 290968
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2004 wrx
Cobb Stage 2

Default A little confused...

Alright... I'll try not to make this complicated.

I got the AP a few months ago and reflashed stage 1 on a stock 04 wrx. Yesterday I got an up and dp on the car and flashed the realtime stage 2 93 map to see how it ran and what not. This morning I went to reflash stage 2 93 "base map" to replace the realtime flash. Now when i go to see what map im currently running, it says stage 2 93 realtime and under that it says "reflash". So Which map is running on my car? It has two maps listed in the "current map" section.

thanks for any help
Strange WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange WRX View Post
Alright... I'll try not to make this complicated.

I got the AP a few months ago and reflashed stage 1 on a stock 04 wrx. Yesterday I got an up and dp on the car and flashed the realtime stage 2 93 map to see how it ran and what not. This morning I went to reflash stage 2 93 "base map" to replace the realtime flash. Now when i go to see what map im currently running, it says stage 2 93 realtime and under that it says "reflash". So Which map is running on my car? It has two maps listed in the "current map" section.

thanks for any help
Hi there. There are two map slots for your car. One is the reflash slot. This should be used for your "long-term" map. That is, the map that represents the mods you have, features you are using (ex. launch control/flat-foot shift) and the octane gas you will typically be using. The other slot is a temporary slot called real-time. When you load a map into real-time it temporarily overrides the reflash map for 10 or so of the most "important" tables relating to boost, fuel, timing and the rev limiter. So, it isn't a complete map but can be used to temporarily achieve a different behavior without having to go through the longer reflash process. This might be, for example, a valet function, anti-theft, economy, etc.

The real-time map will stay until you:
1. disconnect the car's battery
2. flash a new reflash map
3. reset the ECU via AccessPORT
4. flash a new realtime map

In the case of #1, #2 and #3 above, the realtime map will become the same as the reflash map. This just means, essentially that you have no realtime map installed.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Strange WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
Cobb Stage 2

So What does this mean exactly... My "current map" selection shows that I have 2 maps.
It reads like this..

Realtime stage 2 (93)
Reflash

So which map is my car running... realtime or base map stage 2 (93) ?

btw.. I did reflash the stage 2 (93) map or I thought i did. Hooked the green connectors and the clear conector and what not. Thats why im confused.

When I reflashed stage 1 before i got the dp.. My current map showed only "stage 1" in the current map section
Old 01-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
So What does this mean exactly... My "current map" selection shows that I have 2 maps.
It reads like this..

Realtime stage 2 (93)
Reflash

So which map is my car running... realtime or base map stage 2 (93) ?

btw.. I did reflash the stage 2 (93) map or I thought i did. Hooked the green connectors and the clear conector and what not. Thats why im confused.

When I reflashed stage 1 before i got the dp.. My current map showed only "stage 1" in the current map section
The "map" you are running is hybrid of the reflash map and the realtime map. If those are not different, then you are simply running the reflash map and it is showing the realtime map as the same because there is essentially not one loaded.

Your reflash map should always be the map that you should be running long-term for your mods and octane of gas. For example, you do not want to have a stage 1 map in your reflash slot and a stage 2 map in realtime (or vice versa) if you were stage 2. Instead, you would want the stage 2 map as reflash. So, when would you use realtime? Realtime flashes much faster than a reflash map and does not require that you connect the green test mode connectors. So, let's say you go somewhere with valet parking and you don't want the valet beating up on your car. You could simply flash the valet realtime map. Your tune would then show stage 2 93 as the reflash map and valet map as the realtime map. Then when you got back to your car, you would simply flash the stage 2 93 as realtime and you are back where you started.

Bill
Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Strange WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
Cobb Stage 2

Bill

Sometimes I read into things too much but I know the difference between realtime maps and base maps. I just wanted to make sure my car was good cause the AP says I have a realtime stage 2 map and a reflash stage 2 map running currently. I just dont know which one of the two is actually running. I want the base map stage 2 to be running... not the realtime but since they are both listed... how do i know which one is running?

Also... I lost my instructions on how to reflash so I could have possibly done it wrong but i dont think i did.

Could you send me some step by step reflash instructions so I can maybe reflash it one more time and be sure its right?

I'd greatly appreciate it

thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Bill

Sometimes I read into things too much but I know the difference between realtime maps and base maps. I just wanted to make sure my car was good cause the AP says I have a realtime stage 2 map and a reflash stage 2 map running currently. I just dont know which one of the two is actually running. I want the base map stage 2 to be running... not the realtime but since they are both listed... how do i know which one is running?

Also... I lost my instructions on how to reflash so I could have possibly done it wrong but i dont think i did.

Could you send me some step by step reflash instructions so I can maybe reflash it one more time and be sure its right?

I'd greatly appreciate it

thanks
The AccessPORT user manual will give you a step-by-step on reflashing:
http://accessecu.com/support/docs/ma...UserManual.pdf

A reflash consists of any change to the more than 300+ tables that can be tuned via our software (although no map will tune touch even close to that many) and it also includes features like real-time and launch control.

A realtime flash only changes 10 or so of the most important tables related to boost, fuel, timing, and the rev limiter.

So, if the realtime map shown is different than the reflash map, then you will be running what is in the reflash map plus those 10 tables or so will be changed (relative to the reflash) according to the realtime map. So, for example, a valet map as realtime gives you a lower rev limiter and boost control is disabled. The realtime map is overriding the reflash map for just those 10 tables or so.

As far as reflash and realtime, there is not one or the other that is running. It is a combination of both as described. If they are both the same, then you have essentially no realtime map - it running the map shown for both. It is still showing you the same map in the realtime slot to let you know that you do not have a different realtime map flashed.

Bill
Old 01-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Strange WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
Cobb Stage 2

ok thanks... another question... I should be hitting around 17 psi and im only at 15.6 in 4th and 5th gear pulls. It wont go over 15.6. Its only been driven 10-15 miles so far... do you think it needs more time to learn or do i need to go ahead and try the hwg map?

just had a thought... I'm running stage 2 v300 (93) in realtime and in reflash... target boost for v300 stage 2 was around 16psi.. correct??

How would i go about putting the stage 2 v310 (93) on my ap and then to my car and how would i override the v300 stage 2 realtime map thats under "current map" ?

sorry if this seems confusing
thanks

Last edited by Strange WRX; 01-08-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
ok thanks... another question... I should be hitting around 17 psi and im only at 15.6 in 4th and 5th gear pulls. It wont go over 15.6. Its only been driven 10-15 miles so far... do you think it needs more time to learn or do i need to go ahead and try the hwg map?

just had a thought... I'm running stage 2 v300 (93) in realtime and in reflash... target boost for v300 stage 2 was around 16psi.. correct??

How would i go about putting the stage 2 v310 (93) on my ap and then to my car and how would i override the v300 stage 2 realtime map thats under "current map" ?

sorry if this seems confusing
thanks
Whenever you reflash a map, the realtime slot automatically becomes the same as the map you just reflashed so you don't need to worry about it.

There's no learning when it comes to boost control, however, your engine control unit (ECU) may be running different boost that is specified by the map notes due to specific conditions like your local barometric pressure and intake temperature. Best thing to do is to get a data log of your car in 3rd gear as per the video below. Upload it to google docs (set the permissions to public) and then put the link here and we can take a look at it.

Bill

Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Strange WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
Cobb Stage 2

Bill..
So if I download accessport manager and update my accessport to the v310 series, will it automatically change all my maps on my ap from v300 to v310? Also, once I reflash stage 2 v310 to my car, you're saying it will automatically erase the realtime stage 2 v300 and replace my realtime map to stage 2 v310?

thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Bill..
So if I download accessport manager and update my accessport to the v310 series, will it automatically change all my maps on my ap from v300 to v310? Also, once I reflash stage 2 v310 to my car, you're saying it will automatically erase the realtime stage 2 v300 and replace my realtime map to stage 2 v310?

thanks
The firmware update should update you to v310 IIRC. Regardless, you can always download the v310 maps from our map repo:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3061

Any time you "reflash" a map, the realtime slot will become the same as the reflash map. You can then leave it and run that map or you can load a realtime map on top of that if you need some temporary specific use (like valet, anti-theft, etc).

Bill
Old 01-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Strange WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
Cobb Stage 2

Say I get someone to put a "tailored to my car" tune on my accessport for me to run... what happens to the realtime slot now?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Say I get someone to put a "tailored to my car" tune on my accessport for me to run... what happens to the realtime slot now?
If you get a custom tune for your car it is just another map (in fact, they could make multiple maps for you if you wished). You could switch between that custom map(s) and our OTS maps at any time - it would be the same procedure you've been doing so far.

Bill