Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-03-2001, 08:35 PM   #1
Dr. Spud Funk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2790
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 BMW F800S
Sonnengelb

Question 2000 Legacy GT owners please read...

I attempted to disable the drl's on my brother's car, but couldn't figure out how to remove the plastic cover stuff around the hand brake (well, actually, how to separate it from the dash part once I unscrew it). If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. Thanks!!
Dr. Spud Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2001, 08:32 PM   #2
Andy_T
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 502
I don't know if your American-made car is built with exactly the same style and design of parts that my Japanese-made Liberty comprises, but here goes:

Carefully, prise off the fake wood (or plastic) piece which surrounds the gear lever. it has four clips around the gear lever, and two "tangs" holding it firm just below the cassette holder/cubbyhole underneath the stereo. A wide, flat-blade screwdriver and a cloth should do it, without damaging the plastic. Lift it up and away. If you have an auto, make sure you lift it carefully up and don't yank the wire linking you to the auto mode selector on the driver's side.

(Mind, tt sounds like you may have already done this successfully.)

This will expose two screws at the forward end of the moulded plastic surround of which you ask. This surround runs all the way from the back of the handbrake to the (rubber-lined in my car) tray immediately below the ashtray - quite long. Undo these screws at the front, and lift the little tray out of the way (you need to pull it back slightly towards you when doing this - there's a tang at the back of it that holds securely in the dash).

Now, open the centre console lid between the seats. You will see two more screws, which hold the rear end of this moulded plastic part in place. Undo them. You should now be able to wiggle that moulded plastic part around; it should now be loose at both ends.

Manoeuvre the part up at the front edge (near the ashtray) to release it from its mountings. There are no clips as such, but it is held in place due to the design of the surrounding parts. Once clear at the front, lift it up again and this time pitch it forward. Slide it along the handbrake until the handbrake is clear. Once clear of the handbrake, lift it up completely and you're done.

Refit, as they say, is the reversal of removal. Slide it over the handbrake first, then jiggle it into place at the front (it should just fall into place if it's correctly placed at its rear edge). Then refit the little tray, and screw it all down. Careful with the fake wood/plastic piece - it's easily scratched, and watch that you don't twist the wire going to the auto mode switch if you have one.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote