Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday January 21, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
Ernest
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45076
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rockland County, NY
Vehicle:
2004 Stg 2 wagon AT
16 BRZ. Both silver

Default 2004 wrx headlights

So they are 15 years old. I have done the outside many times. They are clear but the yellowing is actually coming from the inside so they donít look good compared to my 16 BRZ.
So I am thinking options.
1. Buy new ones for about 3-400.
2. Buy cheap aftermarket like DNA or halo on eBay. Not sure I like look.
3. Buy used like STIs but likely have similar issue with looking old because they are old.
4. Just leave it.

Any ideas.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
AugyIA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487493
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default

I may be in the same position...interested in any replies, as well.
AugyIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
kos
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 118334
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Global Time Attack Street AWD
Vehicle:
2006 Carmine Red WRX
2005 Aspen White RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
So they are 15 years old. I have done the outside many times. They are clear but the yellowing is actually coming from the inside so they donít look good compared to my 16 BRZ.
So I am thinking options.
1. Buy new ones for about 3-400.
2. Buy cheap aftermarket like DNA or halo on eBay. Not sure I like look.
3. Buy used like STIs but likely have similar issue with looking old because they are old.
4. Just leave it.

Any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugyIA View Post
I may be in the same position...interested in any replies, as well.
You can only wetsand / buff them so many times, before the hazing / yellowing comes back even quicker. Removing just a little bit of material with the wetsand, combined with UV just destroys these lenses.

I've thought about buying new housings from the dealer, and have also thought about going the DEPO, etc alternative route as well.

A buddy of mine did the DEPO route, and just swapped lenses and resealed with butyl tape, and it has held up well for the last 3-4 years, so that may be worth looking into.
kos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

My experience over the last few years.......

Any "quick fix" lasts a couple months.

My method (short version), wetsand down to good plastic, work up through grades with wet paper (start maybe at 600) to 1500. Respray with a UV curable clear, final sand then polish and wax. I use a spray from SEM.
Should last 5 or more years.

Toothpaste, compound, wipe on, you will be redoing a lot.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
Ernest
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45076
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rockland County, NY
Vehicle:
2004 Stg 2 wagon AT
16 BRZ. Both silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
My experience over the last few years.......

Any "quick fix" lasts a couple months.

My method (short version), wetsand down to good plastic, work up through grades with wet paper (start maybe at 600) to 1500. Respray with a UV curable clear, final sand then polish and wax. I use a spray from SEM.
Should last 5 or more years.

Toothpaste, compound, wipe on, you will be redoing a lot.
I have done that and the lenses are clear. I think the yellow is from the inside. I will likely buy another set. Just hate paying 3-400 for a stock light.

Last edited by Ernest; 08-24-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #6
TreyP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322489
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
04 WRX
Blue

Default

Hey so what did you decide to do? I need to replace my headlights as well. I haven't been able to find a good aftermarket set after searching Google & Amazon. I've seen too many bad reviews on Spec-D. I may buy a new OEM set if I can't find a good quality aftermarket set.
TreyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.