Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 23, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default Suby Super Sump, AKA: The Super-G Pan. Lovingly crafted by Killer B Motorsport

Our Traditional High Performance oil Pan is the performance standard and a significant step up in oiling performance when compared to factory, and many other options. It has been torture tested on the worlds most grueling tracks for over 10 years, but the Suby platform performance capabilities are continuing to be pushed, to levels never before seen.

For the top 1% on the bleeding edge of engine output and handling technology, we now have an oil pan that provides capability beyond those limits.

The Killer B Motorsport Super-G Extreme Performance Oil Pan.
  • 3D CAD Designed and Tested for Extreme Performance
  • Oil Containment Baffle Prevents Oil Starvation
  • Crankcase Breather Vent Eliminates Liquid Oil Egress from Crankcase Breather
  • Precision Cast Double Heat Treated Aluminum Alloy for Maximum Toughness
  • Up to 40% Increase in Capacity.
  • Works best with Killer B High Flow Oil Pickup and Windage Tray
  • Fits most Equal Length Headers, Including Killer B Headers
  • (1) M20 OEM Port and (1) 1/2NPT Port
  • Materials, Design, and Manufactured in the USA
  • Track Tested and Proven

Designed for High G acceleration and lateral track use.

Learn More

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KillerBMotorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:02 PM   #2
Vit0r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339989
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 Base WRX 4DSD
SWP

Default Suby Super Sump, AKA: The Super-G Pan. Lovingly crafted by Killer B Motorsport

This might seem like a weird question, but how does the 40% increase in oil capacity affect the dipstick level? Iíll be honest, not tracking the car, maybe a canyon or two, so this upgrade may be overkill, but hey why not? Also, does the increased oil capcity affect pressure or anything?

Last edited by Vit0r; 07-16-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Vit0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit0r View Post
This might seem like a weird question, but how does the 40% increase in oil capacity affect the dipstick level?
If it's going into an STi, the dipstick level will not change. Our pan is deeper and leverages some other areas so increase the capacity, so the 'full' level does not change. This is actually critically important, because a level too high to too low can have devastating consequences.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit0r View Post
Iíll be honest, not tracking the car, maybe a canyon or two, so this upgrade may be overkill, but hey why not?
I'll be honest right back... this pan is not for you, or would be gross overkill. If looking for some additional oiling performance, our traditional (non-Super-G) Performance Oil pan would be a much better match, and save you a whole bunch of money too.

Once you're caged, running slicks, significant suspension mods, and a lot of track experience... then this pan is a much better fit for those needs. Until then, we have other products to bridge that performance gap between OEM and track-spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit0r View Post
Also, does the increased oil capcity affect pressure or anything?
If you're going from a completely OEM setup to our complete High Flow Pickup/Performance Pan kit, you will see a slight bump in oil pressure and a lowering in oil temps by 5-10 degrees. You will have improved oil condition over a longer period of time, and can even push oil change intervals out further if you car's duties are mostly as a fun commuter car.

As a footnote, I definitely recommend using an oil analysis service like BlackStone Labs. This is really the only way to know an oil is working best for your car, mods, level of wear, environmental conditions, driving style, driving conditions and so on. Oil performance and optimization is not always a one-size fits all, and always better to know, than not know. A side benefit is that if there is anything bad happening internally, you may have an indication and opportunity to prepare, before it turns into a much longer and expensive list of engine replacement parts.
KillerBMotorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:03 AM   #4
hotdog
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197520
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI
Magnetite Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
save you a whole bunch of money too.
This pan is 'only' ~200 (not even) bucks more than your normal pan (which I have, and am happy with). Why *wouldn't* someone want this one, if the cost is fairly minimally more? Is there something about this design that makes it 'less good' for street cars?

I don't advocate 'buy the best regardless', but in this case, between labor and stuff, the cost difference seems to be a wash (or, in the grand scheme of things...)
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:31 PM   #5
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
This pan is 'only' ~200 (not even) bucks more than your normal pan (which I have, and am happy with). Why *wouldn't* someone want this one, if the cost is fairly minimally more? Is there something about this design that makes it 'less good' for street cars?

I don't advocate 'buy the best regardless', but in this case, between labor and stuff, the cost difference seems to be a wash (or, in the grand scheme of things...)
There's no downside except a bigger hole in your wallet. Not many will spend $15K on a 400hp street and occasional track build when $8K will accomplish what's necessary to do the job.

The individual differences in price of components as you go up the performance/capabilities ladder are not a whole lot... until you add it up over the many components that are bought when creating a build.

For a one time individual purchase, yeah, it's not a whole lot more.
KillerBMotorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
hotdog
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197520
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI
Magnetite Gray Metallic

Default

You never add up when you spend. That just makes you sad

Thanks!
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #7
BlackFighter
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193940
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philly
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI Black
RalliSpec Shortblock

Default

Haha ya, budgeting a build (track build in my case) always goes over your initial budget. I was planning on putting $10k in parts in a build, and it quickly doubled. Might have something to do with buying Killer Bee Holy headers and oil pan, pick up, baffle. Plus I like quality parts, but ya this pan might be a little over kill for me at my stage. On a side note, I'm sure this pan is killer. No pun intended

Last edited by BlackFighter; 07-19-2021 at 08:17 AM.
BlackFighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #8
BlueSTI4Me
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34361
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MI
Vehicle:
04.7 STI
WRB IG @got2boostit2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
You never add up when you spend.
Truth.......................
BlueSTI4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
You never add up when you spend. That just makes you sad

Thanks!
Sometimes this is true. I've been on both sides, projects where you just don't want to know (and the wife would kill me if she found out). and project builds that have a target budget.
KillerBMotorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #10
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Anyone else have problems with the dipstick tube leaking?? I just found my mine leaking today randomly after running it for several weeks with no problems. I did rip the original o-ring installing it the first time....very easy to do it seems. So I bought new o-rings at Napa that were the same size.
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #11
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
Anyone else have problems with the dipstick tube leaking?? I just found my mine leaking today randomly after running it for several weeks with no problems. I did rip the original o-ring installing it the first time....very easy to do it seems. So I bought new o-rings at Napa that were the same size.
We can send you new ones. We use MIL-spec o-rings, they are going to be better quality and have a wider operational window. A little lube on the o-rings and DON'T force them. Gentle wiggle until it goes. If you force it the second o-ring can tear or move out of its groove. Another trick we just recently stumbled on it to wrap electrical tape one the outer edge of the second o-ring groove. It only takes one wrap, and does a great job at preventing the second o-ring from moving out of it's groove. It's strange, but Subaru made the second o-ring groove walls have less taper so the o-rings move around a lot more
KillerBMotorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #12
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Okay I guess I'll give it another shot with the o-rings before I decide to RTV the connection..
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
We can send you new ones. We use MIL-spec o-rings, they are going to be better quality and have a wider operational window. A little lube on the o-rings and DON'T force them. Gentle wiggle until it goes. If you force it the second o-ring can tear or move out of its groove. Another trick we just recently stumbled on it to wrap electrical tape one the outer edge of the second o-ring groove. It only takes one wrap, and does a great job at preventing the second o-ring from moving out of it's groove. It's strange, but Subaru made the second o-ring groove walls have less taper so the o-rings move around a lot more
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:25 PM   #13
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Let us know how it goes.

Also, be sure to give the dipstick tube a thorough inspection. Is it bent, scratched, squished, dented, or have any corrosion? Even on a small scale, any one of those can cause a leak. Try to get a mirror up into the pan's dipstick tube too, to assure it doesn't have any internal scratches or gouges.
KillerBMotorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #14
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Hi I have a question, here in cali there is a banked track that they use for NASCAR and its pretty fast and pretty steep. I know guys that have done this track and have blown their engines due oil starvation, So with this oil pan is there a certain G rating?
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #15
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

The new orings you sent me fixed my problem. The orings I bought from Napa were pinched and causing the leak. Also I used the electrical tape trick you mentioned and it helped to keep the orings in place when inserting the tube, which I think was causing my problem and pinching on the one side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Let us know how it goes.

Also, be sure to give the dipstick tube a thorough inspection. Is it bent, scratched, squished, dented, or have any corrosion? Even on a small scale, any one of those can cause a leak. Try to get a mirror up into the pan's dipstick tube too, to assure it doesn't have any internal scratches or gouges.
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #16
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
Hi I have a question, here in cali there is a banked track that they use for NASCAR and its pretty fast and pretty steep. I know guys that have done this track and have blown their engines due oil starvation, So with this oil pan is there a certain G rating?
Banked turns can be problematic, but before I give a well targeted recommendations, tell me a bit more about the car, its current setup, and your level of track experience.


Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
The new orings you sent me fixed my problem. The orings I bought from Napa were pinched and causing the leak. Also I used the electrical tape trick you mentioned and it helped to keep the orings in place when inserting the tube, which I think was causing my problem and pinching on the one side.
Glad to hear the new rings worked!

I'll double check the install instructions, I think that tip works exceptionally well for how easy it is to do.
KillerBMotorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:27 PM   #17
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Banked turns can be problematic, but before I give a well targeted recommendations, tell me a bit more about the car, its current setup, and your level of track experience.

I have a 2.1 with v9 heads running 245's Federals rs pros. I have always been a little weary of the track, as at the moment I am running a 2006 sti pan but am looking for upgrade. Some of the peeps i know have blown their engines due to that turn its speed you need to carry though it. I am more amature as I probably get out like twice a year, but I would love to do it more
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:50 PM   #18
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Normally I would say our traditional performance oil pan would be more than enough for track days, but if you're on a steep banked oval/circle, I would step up to the Super-G just for added safety.
KillerBMotorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #19
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Check out the Roger Clark Motorsports dry sump system
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
I have a 2.1 with v9 heads running 245's Federals rs pros. I have always been a little weary of the track, as at the moment I am running a 2006 sti pan but am looking for upgrade. Some of the peeps i know have blown their engines due to that turn its speed you need to carry though it. I am more amature as I probably get out like twice a year, but I would love to do it more
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #20
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
Check out the Roger Clark Motorsports dry sump system
You'd be no better off with that system. A custom 5-stage would be what makes sense so you scavenge from each head. We've done a few systems like this, but he did not state any advanced aero, slicks, cage, or advanced suspension setup, so it would be a colossal expense with little-to-no advantage.

Last edited by KillerBMotorsport; 08-15-2021 at 06:16 PM.
KillerBMotorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:53 PM   #21
jcb-memphis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461117
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis

Default How long do the "flaps" last...my main concern

Hi,

I am in the "why not" category above...for 200 more why not. My only question is what is the long term durability of the flappy things (vertical gates if you will). 5y? Forever? It matters a lot to me. I want the tube in the back to be intact and this is your only solution that does that.....stock pan has an o ring in this location fwiw.....

Thanks.


jb
jcb-memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.