Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 16, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2021, 10:27 PM   #1
djoye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 50072
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: TN
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Blue

Default Killer B Hard Inlet

Items on the left are included, items on the right were purchased separately:


Crawford/IAG AOS Options:



I received my Killer B hard inlet last week and I'm in no rush to install it since it's F'ing hot outside, so I took the liberty to ensure that I had everything needed to make it work with my Crawford AOS. If you have a Crawford or IAG AOS, you'll likely want fittings with a 1/2" barb. Threads on the inlet are all 1/4" or 3/8" NPT according to the instructions in the "Additional Information" section on the product's page.

Some black plastic/nylon fittings would be nice, but this is what I ordered from Amazon to get started with:
B07CRWC42C - EDGE INDUSTRIAL 1/2" Hose ID to 1/4" Male NPT MNPT 90 Degree Brass Elbow Fitting Fuel / AIR / Water / Oil / Gas / WOG
B07CRTM8P7 - EDGE INDUSTRIAL 1/2" Hose ID to 3/8" Male NPT MNPT 90 Degree Brass Elbow Fitting Fuel / AIR / Water / Oil / Gas / WOG
B07CPH3L85 - EDGE INDUSTRIAL 1/2" Hose ID to 1/4" Male NPT MNPT Straight Brass Fitting Fuel/AIR/Water/Oil/Gas/WOG


This should give me enough hardware to figure out what I'm going to do during the install process, I'll hunt for pretty fittings later. How well would high-temp spray paint hold up on these brass fittings?

Hoping to see other peoples' installs before I go in.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
djoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
car_freak85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13530
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Cascadia
Vehicle:
EA63 , EA81T, EJ20G,
EJ205

Default

Nice looking part, I'm looking forward to reading people's thoughts and install notes.
car_freak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2002 Black WRX Wagon
VF39 + 4.44 5MT

Default

Just got mine as well. Got it with a 3" and 2.4" coupler so I can use it on my 20G-XTR now and GTX3576 G2 later.


Love the way killer B made it modular.
K3rm1tth3fr0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
standardtranny
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450713
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Super bowl LII champs
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Stage 3ish
world rally blue

Default

Do you actually expect any noticable gains from this part? or is it just for reliability and high hp builds mostly?
standardtranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2002 Black WRX Wagon
VF39 + 4.44 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardtranny View Post
Do you actually expect any noticable gains from this part? or is it just for reliability and high hp builds mostly?
Compared to OEM, the performance and noise increase is worth it alone IMO.

And going with metal over silicone allows the inlet to avoid collapsing, and it allows the walls of the inlet to be thinner, allowing for more flow via a larger cross-sectional area.

And thats ignoring that the OEM inlet WILL rip on you at some point...

Here is Killer B's testing against the OEM inlet with Bren tuning on a Mustang Dyno:


Last edited by K3rm1tth3fr0g; 07-28-2021 at 01:36 PM.
K3rm1tth3fr0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
Killfire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420364
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Black

Default

What was the purpose of buying the other elbows? The killer b is supposed to fit into an oem system and the aos is supposed to fit an oem intake isn't it? Just curious because I have both but neither is installed yet.

Last edited by Killfire; 07-27-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Killfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #7
djoye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 50072
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: TN
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardtranny View Post
Do you actually expect any noticable gains from this part? or is it just for reliability and high hp builds mostly?
I don't set my expectations high, but I expect a hard inlet to be more reliable than a silicone inlet since the hard inlet should retain its size regardless of conditions. I wouldn't be surprised if silicone inlets have negligible flex in them under load, but I'm trying to reliable get the most power from a stock block; Killer B says this flows better than a competing silicone inlet, I'm willing to see how that pans out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killfire View Post
What was the purpose of buying the other elbows? The killer b is supposed to fit into an oem system and the aos is supposed to fit an oem intake isn't it? Just curious because I have both but neither is installed yet.
I think the included fittings work with most of the stock hoses and the Killer B AOS, however, it does not include the fitting that would connect to the inlet near the turbo, so it requires at least one additional fitting to work as a completely stock replacement. The IAG and Crawford AOS both require two connections to the inlet, since those AOSes use 1/2" hose to the inlet, you might want to consider ensuring you have the necessary fitting unless you're fine with using an assortment of hose sizes and union/reducer connections to make everything work.
djoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #8
Killfire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420364
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoye View Post
I don't set my expectations high, but I expect a hard inlet to be more reliable than a silicone inlet since the hard inlet should retain its size regardless of conditions. I wouldn't be surprised if silicone inlets have negligible flex in them under load, but I'm trying to reliable get the most power from a stock block; Killer B says this flows better than a competing silicone inlet, I'm willing to see how that pans out.

I think the included fittings work with most of the stock hoses and the Killer B AOS, however, it does not include the fitting that would connect to the inlet near the turbo, so it requires at least one additional fitting to work as a completely stock replacement. The IAG and Crawford AOS both require two connections to the inlet, since those AOSes use 1/2" hose to the inlet, you might want to consider ensuring you have the necessary fitting unless you're fine with using an assortment of hose sizes and union/reducer connections to make everything work.
Sounds like I've got to plan a trip to the hardware store at least once during the install then. Thanks for clarifying that.
Killfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #9
Killfire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420364
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Black

Default

Just a heads up, be very careful with the brass going into aluminum. Even with teflon tape my fitting galled up and ripped out some threads of the inlet when I tried to remove it. I just purchased some plastic fittings that will be here tomorrow so we'll see how that turns out instead.
Killfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:19 PM   #10
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

I have this sitting in my garage waiting to be installed as well.. way too hot in Califronia right now to be installing this in my garage
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:38 PM   #11
Killfire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420364
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
I have this sitting in my garage waiting to be installed as well.. way too hot in Califronia right now to be installing this in my garage
Pfft. Try Houston. And I've been working on the car for over a week now.
Killfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #12
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2002 Black WRX Wagon
VF39 + 4.44 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killfire View Post
Pfft. Try Houston. And I've been working on the car for over a week now.

FWIW my garage in Seattle is roughly ~20f hotter than ambient at any given moment in summer.... That was great when it was 109 last month.
K3rm1tth3fr0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:48 PM   #13
Killfire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420364
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
FWIW my garage in Seattle is roughly ~20f hotter than ambient at any given moment in summer.... That was great when it was 109 last month.
Time to add ac to the garage. Its on my list of to dos.
Killfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #14
djoye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 50072
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: TN
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killfire View Post
Just a heads up, be very careful with the brass going into aluminum. Even with teflon tape my fitting galled up and ripped out some threads of the inlet when I tried to remove it. I just purchased some plastic fittings that will be here tomorrow so we'll see how that turns out instead.
What I find interesting about the fittings is that I can't just fully thread them in with my fingers, however, I know very little about threads. I just recently ran into a similar situation with a line on an air compressor tank and I found that the tank was using 'brass pipe' or 'pipe' thread fittings according to one of those displays at Lowes and Home Depot, not NPT. Killer B's instructions say these are NPT fittings and to crank them down until they're flush with the inside of the tube; I've only gently test fitted the fittings and I wasn't comfortable with how much torque I was applying to get them to thread in so I haven't yet tried to force them. I'm skeptical about how the inlet is threaded.
djoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #15
Killfire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420364
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoye View Post
What I find interesting about the fittings is that I can't just fully thread them in with my fingers, however, I know very little about threads. I just recently ran into a similar situation with a line on an air compressor tank and I found that the tank was using 'brass pipe' or 'pipe' thread fittings according to one of those displays at Lowes and Home Depot, not NPT. Killer B's instructions say these are NPT fittings and to crank them down until they're flush with the inside of the tube; I've only gently test fitted the fittings and I wasn't comfortable with how much torque I was applying to get them to thread in so I haven't yet tried to force them. I'm skeptical about how the inlet is threaded.
Pipe threads are a tapered fit. They shouldn't ever bottom out. If you look at the fittings, they'll look like this < getting wider at the end. Technically they should seal on their own without any additives. Teflon tape was developed as a dry lubricant to thread these types of connections together easier.
Killfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #16
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killfire View Post
Pipe threads are a tapered fit. They shouldn't ever bottom out. If you look at the fittings, they'll look like this < getting wider at the end. Technically they should seal on their own without any additives. Teflon tape was developed as a dry lubricant to thread these types of connections together easier.
^ this here. Typically 3-4 rotations can be made by hand before having tp put a wrench on them, but they do not sit flush on the hex side like a traditional straight thread bolt.

NPT threads DO need sealant or teflon tape because the root of the tread is square, leaving a gap, even when tight. NPTF (Fuel) can be tightened without sealant or teflon because the root of the thread is radiused, so there's no air gap when tight.


<---- fastener dork
KillerBMotorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #17
djoye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 50072
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: TN
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Blue

Default

Thanks for the thread explanation.

I went down to the garage and inserted and removed all of my fittings a few times and they do seem to go in far enough when finger-threaded. The starting thread on one of my Amazon fittings had some roughness in it that might have affected its ability to smoothly thread in, so I cleaned that up and it's looking good. Pardon me, I'm thread shy. I don't wanna tear this up.

Was considering installing this week, but I got stuck with on-call again.
djoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:22 AM   #18
tmp042
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 524797
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Straya
Vehicle:
2010 XT Forester

Default



Appears there are issues with the 3Ē inlet forming a golf ball sized collapse when installed. Hopefully the smaller silicone joiner donít suffer the same fate.

Last edited by tmp042; 08-22-2021 at 09:21 AM.
tmp042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #19
Killfire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420364
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp042 View Post


Appears there are issues with the 3Ē inlet forming a golf ball sized collapse when installed. Hopefully the smaller silicone joiner donít suffer the same fate.
My OEM size looked fine. I'll take a look again when I install everything back on. I had a breather hose spit on me and spit oil everywhere so it its currently apart again.
Killfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #20
Jedi03
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 491095
Join Date: Sep 2018
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: New Mexico
Vehicle:
2009 STi Blue
Blue

Default

is it just me or can you loosen the clamps to let it onto both the turbo and the inlet more?
Jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:38 PM   #21
tmp042
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 524797
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Straya
Vehicle:
2010 XT Forester

Default

Killfire, Do you have a photo from above of the Killer B intake installed onto the compressor housing. Curious to see how it fits around the TGV.
tmp042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #22
Killfire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420364
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp042 View Post
Killfire, Do you have a photo from above of the Killer B intake installed onto the compressor housing. Curious to see how it fits around the TGV.
I can get you one when my hose gets in. When I was dry fitting before trimming it was really close.
Killfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #23
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

The coupler fitment is the most challenging part of the install. It's going to take several trial and trim, and trial and clock fits to get it right. The is a part of the installation where patience is your friend because you can only trim off so much before you're in trouble.

If you need another coupler, we do offer them individually.
KillerBMotorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #24
Killfire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420364
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Black

Default

The first picture was taken before any trimming done and was just doing a test fit.


The second picture is everything installed and running. It does touch on the corner of the IM and TGV and I couldn't figure out a way to prevent that. I talked to Killer B and they said it shouldn't be a problem. I do have IAG TGV deletes installed so the stock TGV housing may fit differently.




Killfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #25
djoye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 50072
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: TN
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Blue

Default

I'd buy a JDM long runner intake manifold if it worked with a DBW throttle body. That TGV bolt area is the most annoying part of installing an inlet.
djoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.